Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Chrysler Town Country 2nd Row Stow n Go Bucket Seats Reply with quote

Here are the Chrysler T&C 2nd Row Stow n Go Bucket Seats installed in my 79 with some install info. Removal of the stow & go mechanism, measuring and drilling the plates, and install took me 6 hours. Cost was $240 for the seats and $40 for the steel
I started by bolting the 1/4" steel plate to the existing track where shown in the circles. Don't know what these holes would be called but they held the plastic track insert
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nylock nuts fit nicely in the track and will be able to be tightened from above without rotating

Plate bolted to the seat. (It will go much easier for you if you bolt the plate to the bus first, then bolt the seat down to it. I did it the hard way Rolling Eyes )

I centered the seats on the plate so they would sit in the same location as the original ones. This puts them (on the door side) right up to the belt retract (if you got one)

On the inside the drivers seat just hits the 79 bulkhead.

Won't be getting any lower than this

If you bolt the plate to the seat first you will need to remove the side covers to slide the seat up and install the rear bolts

The results

In this configuration you won't be stowing the seats so don't get to excited

I lost 1/4" of head space if sitting perfectly vertical compared to the old seats. That said, I am finding that it is more comfortable to drive with the seat further forward and seat slightly reclined due the the firmness or the seats. The front edge of the seats don't "give" like the springy bus seats and were giving me some strain in the back of my clutching leg with the seat all the way back. Forward a bit and all is good.
Anyway hope that helps someone
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Capt:

It helps me enormously. I was looking at these quite seriously as the extreme height of my torso causes my hair to be touching the headliner in stock seats when I am seated upright (hips and shoulders aligned.) I was hoping that this solution was going to be my 'bolt in fix' but alas, no. The important thing is that by sharing with the community, you've helped me avoid an expensive mistake.

I still don't know quite what I'm going to do, but I know what I'm NOT going to do! Thank for sharing!

M
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Seat Upgrades for T2 Bay Window Buses? Reply with quote

I wish they had included what issue that was from! Someone's gotta know!

M

Convoy wrote:
I stumbled upon this glorious picture from Volks world. It appears to be 2 1/2"-3" in uncompressed height.

So how'd they do it?? Just foam and perhaps a some sort of underlying carriage to support the foam?? I wonder because that looks like a great solution for us tall guys.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

mattlockwood wrote:
Manfred58sc wrote:
Mitsubishi eclipse seats are very comfortable

Do you have any more information about this? Would love to see some pix. How well do they mount?

I really like the new beetle seats, but the seat tracks seem quite complicated.

Manfred58sc wrote:
I'll get some pictures loaded up this weekend. I'm 6'6" 275 and they work really well.
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Chrysler Town Country 2nd Row Stow n Go Bucket Seats Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

Plate bolted to the seat. (It will go much easier for you if you bolt the plate to the bus first, then bolt the seat down to it. I did it the hard way Rolling Eyes )

Thanks for the great write up. Question:

If you bolt the plate to the seat first, how did you access the bolts holes that are under the seat, in order to bolt it to the bus? Are you able to access under the seat easily?

I may be asking the wrong question- I don't (yet) have a set of these seats.

Matt
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrysler Town Country 2nd Row Stow n Go Bucket Seats Reply with quote

mattlockwood wrote:

If you bolt the plate to the seat first, how did you access the bolts holes that are under the seat, in order to bolt it to the bus? Are you able to access under the seat easily?
Matt

If you look in the pictures I posted above you can see the rear bolts on the plate are accessible by removing the plastic side covers on the seats and sliding them forward. And yes the fronts are easily accessible by reaching under the seat
Gonzo1970
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

1999 Honda CR-V Seats.

Took some modification, and they don't adjust forward or back (I don't really need them to) but the two adjusters for the seat pad on the drivers side (Raise, Lower, Tilt) still work.

For $25, I couldn't pass them up, especially with the pop-up cup holder.

-Gonz
What a long, strange trip it's been
Blackpony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Hello all White Bay Bus Owners,

Brick wall Looking for 1972 T2 Kombi Westfalia front seats. When we purchased "Jonathan," fixed high back seats, #6 and #9 in Illustration 54 , were available as below:

Has anyone ever seen the high back seats in a US Specification White Bay Bus Question High back seats are required for rear end collision safety Very Happy Will VW Logo Red Bug high back seat backs fit White Bay Bus seat bases or is it possible to modify low back seat frames to the high back version, #35 and #37 in Illustration 089-10 above Question

Idea Has anyone modified a White Bay Bus Left Hand Drive passenger seat to a Right Hand Drive drivers seat Question An adjustable passenger seat is desired for long road trips Very Happy

Is the Left Hand Drive drivers seat the same as the Right Hand Drive drivers seat Question Right Hand Drive seat tracks are different than Left Hand Drive seat tracks Rolling Eyes

Happy New Year,
VW Logo Blackpony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mattlockwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

2nd row Seats from an 05 Chrysler Pacifica. $35 each from pick n pull

Work in progress but seems to be a perfect fit. Very excited.

Convoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Seat Upgrades for T2 Bay Window Buses? Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
I wish they had included what issue that was from! Someone's gotta know!

M

Convoy wrote:
I stumbled upon this glorious picture from Volks world. It appears to be 2 1/2"-3" in uncompressed height.

So how'd they do it?? Just foam and perhaps a some sort of underlying carriage to support the foam?? I wonder because that looks like a great solution for us tall guys.

Volks World June 2015
http://thecarcollective.co.uk/2015/06/05/1973-bay-window-desktop-wallpaper/

Though they only include one photo in the article.
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

TMI covers on the original frames ('75). With the bulkheads, not much room for adjustment anyway. A fold down armrest would be nice though.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Martinph
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

I have just installed, PT Cruiser seats. Quite easy to install. Removed the mounting base, cut off the adjustment rail. then just bolted through the floor.
d21998
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Martin, do you have any more pictures? I would like to do the same with my 68 and leather PT cruiser seats. Thanks.
Ausdingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

We just picked up a pair of vanagon seats? 1986 and want to put them in our 1970 westfalia. What is the best way to do this?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Ausdingo wrote:
We just picked up a pair of vanagon seats? 1986 and want to put them in our 1970 westfalia. What is the best way to do this?

cut out the seat track from the Vanagon and weld them in. there is no real way to bolt them in, as they rely on rails.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Ausdingo wrote:

The seat rails changed in 76. You will need 76 seat rails welded in your bus. Unless there are swivel brackets available.

Front Bucket Seats ID T2
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Can seats like this be used? I think they are middle seats and not front seats. They have a lever on the side to tilt forward and it looks like that base can be removed but not sure if the slider handle would release if too low to the floor.

Sorry for the dusty pics but I was in a hurry

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

My buddy helped me remove and weld some seat rails for an early 76 bay to accept Vanagon seats. . The Vanagon seats are plush. I did remove the arm rest as I like a wide walk through. They sit lower then stock 76 seats. Which I like being 6’2” This is Xatie’s Bus. She’s short and likes comfort. I will say. I like my 72 OEM seats with low back better. But these are nice. The rails from buttysbits are quality. And now have options for a variety of seats. Money well spent.

https://www.buttysbits.com/product-category/bay-window/seat-mounts-bay-window/

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
My buddy helped me remove and weld some seat rails for an early 76 bay to accept Vanagon seats. . The Vanagon seats are plush. I did remove the arm rest as I like a wide walk through. They sit lower then stock 76 seats. Which I like being 6’2” This is Xatie’s Bus. She’s short and likes comfort. I will say. I like my 72 OEM seats with low back better. But these are nice. The rails from buttysbits are quality.

Finally! Thanks for posting...I first noticed your seat rail pics a couple months ago when they appeared on the home page "latest pics"...been waiting to see your install. I've got late Bay seats for my '75, need to do the same thing.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Xevin wrote:
My buddy helped me remove and weld some seat rails for an early 76 bay to accept Vanagon seats. . The Vanagon seats are plush. I did remove the arm rest as I like a wide walk through. They sit lower then stock 76 seats. Which I like being 6’2” This is Xatie’s Bus. She’s short and likes comfort. I will say. I like my 72 OEM seats with low back better. But these are nice. The rails from buttysbits are quality.

Finally! Thanks for posting...I first noticed your seat rail pics a couple months ago when they appeared on the home page "latest pics"...been waiting to see your install. I've got late Bay seats for my '75, need to do the same thing.

Cool. I hope this helps. Not sure of the differences between 75 and 76 tubs. I will say this. I sent Simon of Buttys Bits this link. He literally hit me back with an email within seconds. This is a guy who truly appreciates the bus community and takes pride in his product. Thanks Simon.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: