Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pump / cam questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Oil pump / cam questions Reply with quote

I'm building a new 1776, everything else stock on it. Time to shop for a cam and oil pump, looking at this one:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Schadek-21mm-Oil-Pump-8mm-Pump-Studs-111-115-107-p/111-115-107akbr.htm

It says that it works with their 3 bolt AND 4 bolt cams, does this mean it works with both flat and dished cams?
If so, which one would be better to buy? If I need to change the gear due to its backlash, which gears will be more available?

Also, what is the stock 1600 oil pump size? The link above says 21mm is stock, but the Tom Wilson book says:
"The 40-HP through '67 engines had 17mm pumps. From '68-69, a 19mm pump was used. For '70 only, a 24mm pump was supplied and in August '70, ('71 model year), a 26mm pump was introduced."
It doesn't even mention a 21mm pump.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump / cam questions Reply with quote

That pump will work with both flat (3 bolt) and dished (4 bolt). Flat (3 bolt) is the "standard" in the VW aftermarket, so stick with that for best compatibility.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump / cam questions Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks.

What do you think would be better for a stock build (no full flow or external filter, all stock), 21mm or 26mm pump?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump / cam questions Reply with quote

26mm will allow more options on the oil you use. I also recommend you consider a filter pump, rather than keep an unfiltered oiling system.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump / cam questions Reply with quote

I would get the Schadek 26mm pump for the 3 bolt cam and get a aftermarket cam if stock get a CB-2280 cam for it or something with just a bit of cam. If you have dual carbs then get one of the cams designed to work with that set-up. Those are all 3 bolt cams. The only 4 bolt cams your going to find are going to be used original cams for the 1971 and later Type 1 engines.
Stock oil pumps for the 1600cc engines were just 21mm though. If going to a 26mm oil pump you will want to make sure to not rev the engine up with it cold. When it's cold (with 5W30 oil) the oil pressure from the 26mm and larger oil pumps tends to go as high as 80 or 90 PSI before the oil pressure control valve kicks in and if that valve sticks which they sometimes do it could go high enough to blow the oil cooler or it's seals. Avoid thick oils like straight 30 weight or 20W50 weight when using a 26mm oil pump.

Usually you see these pumps listed for early or late engines with the divide being 1971 when the Dished cam began to be used. The difference is where the pump drive shaft is positioned on the oil pump drive gear. The dished cams need more shaft to fully engage. If the engage is wrong you risk oil pump failure. It's a pretty simple thing to check and do, I think ACN set's them for you but you can do it yourself when rebuilding the engine if you have a press or I just use my vice to slip the gear on further when needed. It's a little harder to make it longer but you can do it with a block of wood a hammer and a plastic drift or a piece of Oak!
This is checked during a mock-up with just 1/2 the case with the crank and cam installed or even just the cam without the crank and gears.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pump / cam questions Reply with quote

blue72beetle wrote:

Also, what is the stock 1600 oil pump size?

what is a "stock 1600"?

Most German made 70's, "dual relief" engines with doghouse cooler,
26mm was stock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: