Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 271, 272, 273 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
floss
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This week I went to the AC Fiesta in San Diego and picked up an arm rest for my 65' and installed it today.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced front and rear brand x shocks with new ones from WW. It took me 4 days to get the top bolts off the front shocks....not rusted, just seized incredibly tight. Heat, penetrant and muscle finally did the trick. Took 30 minutes to install all 4 new shocks.

Old brand x shocks (no name, but made in USA):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New shocks:

vaidhyavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I replaced the battery
Umibouzu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced both rear drums, peddle stop replacement, and carb adjustment.
MeeferMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finished installing the sunroof in my 59.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Suttle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

After a near gasoline leak disaster in the engine compartment, I finally replaced all of the hoses from the metal fuel line back. I know it's not exactly kosher, but I also used clamps on all of them. The hose from the tank to the line was in good shape, so I haven't done it yet.
Of course, I carry a fire extinguisher, but in an emergency it's a long way from under the front seat to the back of the car when it's ablaze!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
scottyrocks wrote:

I am in the process of pdipping the wheels white as we speak.

Scotty, your car looks fantastic. Nice work. I wish my 1982 paint could come back like that.
Not being critical. But if you installed the window trim that would really make your pop. Cool
Keep up the good work on your car.

Thanks!

The rubber that holds the windows is not the type that accepts the trim. And it's in really good shape, almost new, in fact, so I don't want to replace it.

Last weekend I painted the wheels. Actually, plasti-dipped them white and then clear (glossifier).

They came out okay. I'll paint them, though, when it's time for new tires.

This weekend I am working on the chrome. Trying the safest stuff first, vinegar, to remove or lessen the rust pits, starting with a head light ring. If that doesn't work, I'll go for some stronger stuff.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

The white vinegar took off the rust, and some rubbing with some balled up aluminum foil took care of the rest, but the finish underneath is spotty in some places - the top layer of chrome is gone. I'm trying a combination of 'chrome' silver paint topped with clear plastidip. It'll look better than what was there.
buckyten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

First time removing engine in my '67, replaced engine body seals, Tar boards, clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and flywheel seal. tidied up engine bay, moved fuel filter out of engine bay, cleaned up wiring and replaced missing tin (rt frt air deflector) Now all ready to put back in,
Q can you put rear breast pan in after or go ahead and install rear first?
steve n
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Buckyten, yes you can install the tin after. I have installed my breast tin after the engine was installed. It is tough but be patient and pay attention to the seal. Good luck.
tyzel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

MeeferMadness wrote:
Finished installing the sunroof in my 59.

Looks great Bruce! How much longer til it's on the road?

I still need to swing by, I just got my 59 on the road after a couple years in the garage Very Happy

Oh, I installed my door cards today finally Very Happy

daru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today, I've just installed a flower vase on dashboard. Looks pretty. After washing, I get drove my 1961 bug around.
It seems that the shifter is sloppy, so next project I'll check for shift bushing also couplers.

Wish me Luck Smile

scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I sprayed a headlight ring with a Rustoleum or Krylon (I forget) 'chrome' paint (actually bright silver). It dried nicely and more resembles stainless steel than chrome.

Then I decided to top coat it with Plastidip Glossifier, which leaves a 'rubber' coating, in this case clear gloss.

I don't know why, but as soon as I shot the pdip, the silver paint underneath turned gray. It looked terrible, or rather, not what I wanted.

So I let it dry, shot two more coats of 'chrome', and will cover that with a Rustoleum clear gloss paint this weekend.
Fred_e81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Today I added and electric fuel pump. Now I'm just waiting for my dual 34's.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

The Rustoleum clear gloss did the same thing the Plastidip Glossifier did - turn the bright silver paint gray.

At this point, while ordering a lot of new pieces to reassemble my headlights, I ordered new chrome rings, as well. They're gonna make my bumpers look even shoddier, but I'll tackle that when the time comes.
boxkiteflyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

With HUGE help from my buddy, Bill, we finally shoehorned the 1776 into my '59 Bug. It was an all day ordeal! Gary Berg built the motor so some disassembly was required. When the dual Kads and headers came off the gaskets tore. Replacing gaskets meant removing tins but tins don't come off until other stuff comes off. You get the picture. The engine kept hanging and wouldn't budge the last 1.5" or so. We took a break looking on The Samba for ideas but it was just one of those things. We wiggled the engine some more then it went into place. That was 2 hours of fiddly stuff. One of the bottom cylinder tins got squished along the way and wasn't noticed until the engine was hung. Bummer. I ain't doing anything about it for now, dang it! 45 degree angled AN fittings will be needed to make breather hoses fit from the valve covers. The straight ones just won't clear. The rear tin was nibbled and test fitted many times over but it got too dark to see so that's where we are presently. It will be another test of nerves getting the dual carbs bolted in place.

The 009 dizzy came out and was replaced by an SVDA with Flamethrower III from John at Aircooled.net. The blue spark plug wires are gone, too.

Bugdog67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Wished it Happy Birthday!

Came off the line 50 years ago today. Very Happy

Last edited by Bugdog67 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
gwdrum75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Had my '65 for a little over a month now.
This week:
Installed new steering wheel.
Installed a few new knobs and refurbished some others.
Fixed Fuel and Speedo gauge lights
Gutted and cleaned old non-working radio. Installed a light inside that will come on with the ignition to give the illusion of 'working'.

trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I have been working on and off for the last three weeks and got finished today. I had the rims sandblasted and then I painted them, new Coker F560s mounted, changed the fuel filter, changed the transaxle oil, changed the engine oil, took care of some surface rust in the spare wheel well and under the luggage floor, and put in a new battery. Finally ready to do a little driving.

Fred_e81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

trektider60 wrote:
I have been working on and off for the last three weeks and got finished today. I had the rims sandblasted and then I painted them, new Coker F560s mounted, changed the fuel filter, changed the transaxle oil, changed the engine oil, took care of some surface rust in the spare wheel well and under the luggage floor, and put in a new battery. Finally ready to do a little driving.

Looks great!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 271, 272, 273 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 272 of 317

Jump to: