Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car for college kid
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Looking at an 03 jetta wagon. Timing belt done at 114,000. 154,000 on odometer. Ran good southern car , no rust that i can see. In Vt so rust is an issue. 2.0 liter auto. $3200. Sound reasonable? Not familiar with water coolds
Thanks
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Looking at an 03 jetta wagon. Timing belt done at 114,000. 154,000 on odometer. Ran good southern car , no rust that i can see. In Vt so rust is an issue. 2.0 liter auto. $3200. Sound reasonable? Not familiar with water coolds
Thanks

In my market, any decent car that runs and looks good is worth at least 3 grand. Can't get much worth having for less.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Trams Disciple told me it was gonna cost $3000 to rebuild the automatic transmission in his VW. He tore it out and changed over to a manual transmission.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

I have had a '02 Jetta wagon for 7 years, it has !80K on it, runs great, but the last year or 2 it has been nickle & dimeing me to death, about $4k in work, Brakes, timing belt, water pump, front end work ect. Not sure where you are at in Vt., but Morse Auto outside Montplr. is a good shop w/ lots of used parts.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

my last kid got a 2011 kia forte 5dr hatch back after the scion of 2 years blew a tire and almost lost her. paid 14,000 for the kia,2 years later (now) she has graduated sumacumlouda or however it's spelled,now in DC working for the state dept, dosent need a car there,and in 2 months she starts her masters in italy....so..we have the pleasure to sell off her car.hoping to get around 8000 for it...so....do some thinking on what you get.mine needs a good safe car as she was out of state for 4 years(3.5, graduated early).then after that it will be years till she needs a car again..how many years who knows,shes probably gonna be a foreign officer and...I kinda doubt she will need a car hear. kinda sucks that kia is loaded, android,hitch, hatchback,I think it's got like 11 air bags... it was perfect for her....was. So do some thinking.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

if you are going to be in VT get a 03 up S60 or V70 AWD. short of wrapping your kid in bubble wrap it's about the safest thing you could drive

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
my last kid got a 2011 kia forte 5dr hatch back after the scion of 2 years blew a tire and almost lost her. paid 14,000 for the kia,2 years later (now) she has graduated sumacumlouda or however it's spelled,now in DC working for the state dept, dosent need a car there,and in 2 months she starts her masters in italy....so..we have the pleasure to sell off her car.hoping to get around 8000 for it...so....do some thinking on what you get.mine needs a good safe car as she was out of state for 4 years(3.5, graduated early).then after that it will be years till she needs a car again..how many years who knows,shes probably gonna be a foreign officer and...I kinda doubt she will need a car hear. kinda sucks that kia is loaded, android,hitch, hatchback,I think it's got like 11 air bags... it was perfect for her....was. So do some thinking.

Sell it to Calvinator for 3200 bucks and call it good.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Since you're in VT anyway, go with a last generation, full-size Outback from outside the rust belt. They're built like tanks, dirt cheap to maintain and there's no shortage of parts in VT. Just make sure the timing belt is changed out religiously if it's a 2.5l engine and the suspension's in good shape.

We have one of each: '04 Jetta TDI wagon and '96 EJ22 Outback (VT car). While the Jetta's much more fun to drive, it can be a money pit if it's not running properly and parts need to be special-ordered. The Subaru eats clutches and that's more a function of my wife riding the clutch...
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

My daughter is going to school in St Petersburg Fla Eckard College so a subaru or anything all wheel drive is not needed and buying a used car in vt can be such a crap shoot. F ing slurry in winter. Thanks for the tips guys. Just wasnt too sure about the reliability of the jettas.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

I didn't want to be the first to bring up a non-VW as a possibility, but as long as it's already been done . . .

Other than my bug, we are a Honda family. My wife doesn't love her Accord (she says it has no soul), but it has been dead-nuts reliable, as has my Civic. Afaic, nothing beats them for reliability. And I find them fun to drive.

We got my daughter an '04 Civic with 124k miles on it a few years ago. After about a grand of front-end updating, and new tires, the car hasn't even hiccuped in the tens of thousands of miles she has put on it since then.

I'd love to be able to recommend a 'modern' VW but I can't, in good conscience.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
I didn't want to be the first to bring up a non-VW as a possibility, but as long as it's already been done . . .

Other than my bug, we are a Honda family. My wife doesn't love her Accord (she says it has no soul), but it has been dead-nuts reliable, as has my Civic. Afaic, nothing beats them for reliability. And I find them fun to drive.

We got my daughter an '04 Civic with 124k miles on it a few years ago. After about a grand of front-end updating, and new tires, the car hasn't even hiccuped in the tens of thousands of miles she has put on it since then.

I'd love to be able to recommend a 'modern' VW but I can't, in good conscience.

Truth, Ignore the musings of the VW faithful, some of em here think VW makes thye best cars across the board. Look only at the numbers and the reliabilty records. Top three always is Lexus, Toyota, Honda. JD Powers, Consumer Reports and even NHTSA defects and complaints further drives this conclusion. Its always amazed how people can part with significant money on brand loyalty or worse styling to make this decision
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Yeah, VWs suck & can't be depended on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The auto trans is their weak link & starting around 140,000, it's all the stupid plastic crap that will start to drive you nuts, coolant flanges, vacuum hoses, interior parts. but the engines are pretty bullet proof.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Check Edmunds.com. I did a quick check not knowing specific model, options, location, color, etc. Came up with private party price of around $1,200 for base model.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

There just is no such thing as a reliable VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes...period. If you have an example of one, that's great, but as a general rule...no.
I had a sales rep that drove a PT Cruiser and always went on about how reliable it was. It had less than 100k and all he had done was radiator, front brakes a couple of times, a couple of sensors, oil pan gasket...etc...etc. He'd go on and I'd think, "what a pile of shit".

It's all about perspective. Both of my Tacoma trucks were ridiculously reliable. Like, I did nothing but change the oil and front brakes for 150K miles on one of them. The other one was about 80K miles with nothing done but oil changes. No belts on either, no sensors, no spark plugs, no spark plug wires, no nothing. Nothing-nothing, not something-nothing.

The maintenance schedule on them read like "check this, check that, check the other thing", but there was no scheduled maintenance...at all. In contrast, my wife's Subaru required third member oil changes and timing belt and all kinds of bullshit every 30-60K miles. Life is too short for all of that shit.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Has VW solved the electrical gremlins that so plagued them during the late '80s and '90s?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Check the Kelly Blue Book price. Don't pay more than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

kawfee wrote:
Check the Kelly Blue Book price. Don't pay more than that.

Then there's the idiots that tell me "Kelly blue book says that I shouldn't pay more than this", I tell them to go buy a car from them.

One idiot said "but they don't sell cars". "Then why do you think that they should determine the price?"

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

down in fl you need ac....a good ac. and reliable as there are lots of rip off shops down south fl way. my wifes honda element (2005) is almost as reliable as my bug. alt, starter,2 struts...and batterys. they put lawn tractor batterys in those for some stupid reason...witch is probably what killd the alt&starter. other than the mpg it's been good to her and I love the tailgate. for my kid I wanted safe....after the axe a dent and mess she was .I did not even recognazize that scion. this kia is extreamly high rated.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Yeah, VWs suck & can't be depended on. The auto trans is their weak link & starting around 140,000, it's all the stupid plastic crap that will start to drive you nuts, coolant flanges, vacuum hoses, interior parts. but the engines are pretty bullet proof.

Thanks for trotting out your collection of odometer pics once again but I'll stay with non biased sources. The stats don't lie, there is enough info for consumers to make informed decisions.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

The most registered cars with over 100,000 miles, more than any other manufacturer.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: