Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience/ideas on loading a split window bus that has no transaxle or torsion tube assembly? I need to get it onto a trailer, so if anyone has done this, please share what you did. I have some ideas, but if you have done it, even pics would be great. We do have access to a tractor with a front end bucket, etc. Timbers under the rear end, sling, lift the rear end up...then somehow drag it onto the trailer? Lift the whole bus up and back under it with the trailer? A fork lift with long forks would be great? It is sitting on a farm, not a salvage yard though. Thanks for any info. Don't want to break it...a 1963 microbus.
zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

dickie wrote:
Does anyone have any experience/ideas on loading a split window bus that has no transaxle or torsion tube assembly? I need to get it onto a trailer, so if anyone has done this, please share what you did. I have some ideas, but if you have done it, even pics would be great. We do have access to a tractor with a front end bucket, etc. Timbers under the rear end, sling, lift the rear end up...then somehow drag it onto the trailer? Lift the whole bus up and back under it with the trailer? A fork lift with long forks would be great? It is sitting on a farm, not a salvage yard though. Thanks for any info. Don't want to break it...a 1963 microbus.

A buddy of mine did this a year ago. We first got the front wheels rolling and out some tires that hold air on the front. We used some 4x4 wood to span from left to right where the rear bumper mounted. (That area was still on the bus) we then had access to a tractor with fro t forks on it. We backed the trailer to the front of the bus and used the tractor to lift the bus and gently push it on the trailer. Then sat the bus down on a pallet.

Good luck
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

Find a type 3 irs rear wish bone with everything but the trans and cv axles in place. They work great for a bus with the torsion cut out. As it all bolts in on a type three and you can lift the bus, role it under and strap the bus to it. And you have an instant rolling rear end under it until you can fix the bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

If you can post some pictures it will help on ideas on what to do.

I have a whole "toolbox" of ways to load but again not seeing the scene I can only guess on what will work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

actually, the frame is cut just ahead of the torsion tube/tranny mount assembly> not much structural behind that railroad tie in the picture. But this give you a good idea of what is involved. The front end is good, and with good rolling tires it will be totally functional. Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

I "believe" I can do just about anything with the proper tools (and sometimes even without them Anxious ). If I was in your situation I'd design some sort of frame that will "fit" under whatever is left of that bus, fabricate it, bring a heavy duty generator and weld it up under it. Should be just enough to get it on a trailer and in the shop. Good luck! Cool
CHASINGJR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

Last edited by CHASINGJR on Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

You will be in for a bit of work....

What we recently did for a IH Scout with no axles front or rear.....

Jack up and block so both sides are even, you are going to have to do a bit more playing as you have nothing to jack to at the rear. Then put a dolly underneath using the remaining frame rails as your "mount"... I have a small house moving dolly and a dolly that is 3 foot by just over 2 foot. You could also use automotive pan dollies, one on each side. You may also want some planking to lay across (width wise) on top of the dolly. Some strapping will help to keep everything in place while moving.

Due to the soft surface you are in you will want something to make a hard surface to roll the dollies on like plywood. If thin it will break so I use "scrap" pieces. The wheels on the dolly should be at least 4 inch and somewhat wide for ease of use. If you use pan dollies you will have to struggle a bit.

With what you got to deal with the tractor is not much use, unless loading onto an open trailer and it is big and with forks... If the tractor has a really tall lift you can also work with a spreader bar and straps but I doubt that will work in your situation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

using your ideas and chasingjr makes the most sense...especially when there are no other tools available. I will make something like a longboard with larger 6 " wheels and place under the remaining frame rails, as you say. Then ratchet strap it in place around the bus. The tractor can lift the rear end up with a sway bar, then I can back the trailer into place and lower the rear end on it. then it is a matter of pushing the rest of the bus, or pulling it, whatever... into place on the trailer. Piece of cake. If I had 4 strong assistants around, we could lift the rear end up with a 10ft. piece of 4x4 under the rear arches and place that on the trailer too. You have given me some good ideas...just have to use them, modify on site, and get it done. thanks I will post photos of the process when done.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ideas on moving a bus without a transaxle. Reply with quote

Honestly what they cost now buy a winch. Not sure if you got Harbor Freight up there but they got them for cheap or for $400 you can buy a good winch, myself Superwinch winch-to-go is a great product/idea. Back in the early days of my VW recovering I had a hand operated boat winch that I pulled many out with till I got a cheap (then) winch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: