Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

I have a 73 VW Thing and out of the different combos. on how to lower it I chose to just use dropped spindles only with the stock Thing beam. I have not completed the install yet (one side is just about done, being a school teacher and waiting on the summer to get in the garage and finish it) but would love to see pics of others who have fulfilled the dream already.

I'm looking for pics of just Things lowered with stock beams, and beetle dropped spindles! Also, please list a quick post of how you lowered the rear.

I know adjustable beams are cool and all, and airride is the ultimate, but I want to see just dropped spindles on an otherwise stock Thing suspension.

Personally, I used beetle torsion arms, with radius, beetle, ball joints installed. I ordered the CB Performance font disk brake kit with beetle dropped spindles. The rear will be lowered with 2 clicks. I'll post pics of mine as soon as I finish up the install (2-3 weeks from now).

*** NOW LET"S SEE THOSE DROPPED SPINDLE, LOWERED THINGS ***

1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1979 Volkswagen Transporter
1973 Volkswagen Thing

Last edited by Serpent7 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

Here's what Mine looked like when I got it. Beetle front beam, and indexed up rear, skinny Kalifornia tires.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BNMike
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

Stock thing front end with std bug spindles and adjustable beam. Beam is set at STD height. Bug spindles will drop the front 2-3" over the thing, add in drop spindles and you are going to be rubbing tires.
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

Plenty of space in the wheel wells. I'm running cookie cutters 15x6 front and 15x7 in the rear. I test fitted one wheel today and I have at least 2.5 inches of clearance between the top of the tire and the bucket. I'm running 165/50/15 up front and 185/50/15 in the rear. When it's all said and done, I'll report back with pics, but I'm thinking I may have to go with a taller tire!
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:

Stock thing front end with std bug spindles and adjustable beam. Beam is set at STD height. Bug spindles will drop the front 2-3" over the thing, add in drop spindles and you are going to be rubbing tires.

That is one pretty Thing!
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

BNMike wrote:
Here's what Mine looked like when I got it. Beetle front beam, and indexed up rear, skinny Kalifornia tires.

BNMike

Love the 'raked' stance on your Thing!
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

[quote="Serpent7

Love the 'raked' stance on your Thing![/quote]

Ya, it looked like a puppy sniffing after a bone, but I want it back up to standard. I got part of that by putting 195R-15's all around....it's got non-standard 15" wheels. I've got a replacement Thing beam from K-mann, and after I finally get the guts renewed and cleaned up, that will bring the front back up. The rear is indexed up so far that the plates don't even touch the stops when it's jacked up. I've got new torsion bars for the back too. Here's what it looks like with the same size tires all around:

Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting your pics, but I still have yet to see a Thing with dropped spindles??? I wonder why? I have a good amount of clearance (with 50's on the front) not to rub the buckets, so I wonder why it hasn't (or is not as popular) been done before? I'm also installing air shocks incase it does become too low, but so far everything looks great! I'll be hooking up the brake lines on the drivers side this weekend, waiting on my tie rod ends to come in, and will starting the passenger side this coming Monday!
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

And here it is:

Not too low now is it?
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

I'll be indexing the rear inner spline 2 notches for an approx. 4.75" very soon. I've never done one before, so I hope it's a smooth, easier process than the front. I still have to figure out the bottom shock connection (air shocks are to thick and hitting the torsion arms), run my air lines, bleed the new disk brakes, and new tie rod ends install. Other than that its pretty much done in the front!

Is indexing the rear a difficult job?

What do you guys/gals think of the front of my Thing? Too low? Just right? Your thoughts please...
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
oukno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

I think it sits really good upfront as long as you aren't rubbing anywhere
I do have a question for you though,.. from the ground to the highest part of the thing (in the front) what height do you got?
74 Tahiti Jet boat
02 Sierra 2500 HD
Love them all but I never enough time to play with them.
Serpent7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 181 / Thing lowered with beetle dropped spindles ONLY pics! Reply with quote

oukno wrote:
I think it sits really good upfront as long as you aren't rubbing anywhere
I do have a question for you though,.. from the ground to the highest part of the thing (in the front) what height do you got?

Not sure, but I do know from the ground to the lip on the finder is 19 inches exactly!
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000
1973 Volkswagen Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: