Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch headlight info
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krautclassicparts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few of the old Headlights with 5 Drainholes and of them is NOS and i made the Experience that the old,black Reflectorbuckets had no Stempits at all.

https://www.facebook.com/Krautclassicparts-366680363446553/?fref=ts
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghia 1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R headlights for split the same size and dimensions as the ones used in the 1960s... I know there r different cosmetic and look wise but would they fit without modifications in fenders?! Also r front fenders the same from early 1950s to 1967?!
- Bug 1970 Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit lost with the headlight identification so hence I am resurrecting this quite an old thread which I found using search...and apologies in advance if these lights appear to be 13 in a dozen 60's lights Wink I don't know so hence I am asking...

Can anyone help me identifying these headlights? Both chrome rings have a 17mm long "Bosch" text written in 12 o'clock position. Adjusters in both rings are on 9 and 12 o'clock position.

Both lenses have a VW logo in 12 o'clock position and "Hella" on the bottom. The other lens has a large A and NL written on the bottom and number 44-10804. The other has a small A and NL on the left side of the lens and a number 41-10804 on the bottom.

Both reflectors have a text LE/YE 180x2A (1/5) and LE1801 A-K 1049.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

930 wrote:
I am a bit lost with the headlight identification so hence I am resurrecting this quite an old thread which I found using search...and apologies in advance if these lights appear to be 13 in a dozen 60's lights Wink I don't know so hence I am asking...

Can anyone help me identifying these headlights? Both chrome rings have a 17mm long "Bosch" text written in 12 o'clock position. Adjusters in both rings are on 9 and 12 o'clock position.

Both lenses have a VW logo in 12 o'clock position and "Hella" on the bottom. The other lens has a large A and NL written on the bottom and number 44-10804. The other has a small A and NL on the left side of the lens and a number 41-10804 on the bottom.

The Hella symmetric lenses are no older than 1958. The date codes on the Bosch assemblies are stamped on the back of the reflectors (not the buckets) and consist of 1 or 2 numbers, followed by a letter.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

janerick3 wrote:
930 wrote:

The Hella symmetric lenses are no older than 1958. The date codes on the Bosch assemblies are stamped on the back of the reflectors (not the buckets) and consist of 1 or 2 numbers, followed by a letter.

Hi Jan,

thanks for a prompt reply, appreciate it.

I will check the date codes and will post them here accordingly.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found out that these are manufactured in 1958 as per the date codes. (found a link elsewhere on thesamba where the date codes were...)

This sounds right as the Bosch in the rings is smaller and the lenses are symmetrical.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lenses have been replaced at some point in the car's lifetime. The original lenses would have been Bosch symmetrics with the "script" Bosch name at the bottom.
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dredge this back up. My car is a (mostly) December 52. I found these old Bosch headlights long ago. They're beat and missing parts. First are springs, screws, etc still available (wolfsburg west only shows parts for later assemblies), and second are they what should be in there?

I can always look for others but I had these and would be happy if I could make use of them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hustlers67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the sizes of the headlights different from the 50s to 60s? Can I fit the Porsche style light grilles on early 60s (sloping) headlights?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hustlers67 wrote:
Are the sizes of the headlights different from the 50s to 60s? Can I fit the Porsche style light grilles on early 60s (sloping) headlights?

All the same size. Yes, they'll fit
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch headlight info Reply with quote

Hi Folks, Sorry for dragging up an old post but I just found these headlights in my stash of bits that came with a Beetle I bought a while ago, these have been in storage in a box for at least 15 years and likely longer.
The codes on the glass are 1305614001 and 1208 and they are symmetrical with a stylised Bosch script so from what I'm able to ascertain are likely early 50's Beetle or Pre A 356.
The reflectors don't have any writing on the back and are in really nice condition with just a bit of spidering under the finish but are very servicable.
There are two slightly different buckets, one is black/grey with the original codes including a VW sign and the other is just grey with no writing, both have 3 drain holes and are in pretty decent condition.
The chrome rings are very nice with a couple of tiny dents likely from a piece of gravel being flipped up and the screw tabs have very slight surface corrosion, however no Bosch markings.

The bulb holders/terminal connectors are Bosch based on the small Bosch logo and again nice condition bar a bit of dusty grime which appears to wipe off with little effort.

They came to me in pieces but I believe I have all the bits to put them back together.

So a couple of questions, are these likely to be early 50's or as the Bosch markings aren't on the rings, or reflectors are they likely to be parts from various periods to make a good set.
2nd question is what is a fair price for them if anyone was looking for a set? My Beetle is a New Zealand 67 so although these would be very cool they aren't the right lights for it and these may be able to help fund some of the cost for the paint on my 67.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch headlight info Reply with quote

Bosch old script logo lenses marked NL A indicates 55-59 lenses, 3 hole buckets came after 53
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch headlight info Reply with quote

The reflectors appear to have been re-silvered at some point, so the date codes are lost.

However, Bosch lenses often, but not always, have a date code cast into the lip, at the 12 o'clock position. This code contains a Roman numeral (I-IV) for the quarter, followed by a letter for the year.
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch headlight info Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, I thought the old stylized Bosch script was until 57?

I've looked for the number and roman numeral at 12 o'clock on the lens but all I can see is something like 335, 538 or 535 but its hard to tell. based on the script and the roman numeral this doesn't make sense as they would be something like 1973 75 or 78 which they cant be because of the script.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: