Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car for college kid
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Geez if vw says it's so it must be so. LOL unbiased to be sure. I'm off to the dealer now, thanks. Very Happy Budweiser says thier beer is #1 if must be so. Very Happy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

You can do what you want but any company making such a bold claim would have to be able to back it up or face massive amounts of fines & litigation.

Besides, it was a funny commercial. In Budweiser's case, something would be flowing out your butt but it wouldn't be rainbows. Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

CAEB engine is made of glass....total junk. oil screens getting sucked into engine, PRESSED on cam lobes? give me a break....

but...those cars only made it that far because someone kept them running....just like the 398K Volvo I serviced today.....

you can make anything go a million miles, but at what cost. I wouldn't buy a vw made after 04-05 with your money.

in their defense the wiring issues are across the board with that stupid soy based insulation.....

everything is just throw away now. I fear for my industry....so many are going on the lease route and turning them in....even with penalties, it's almost cheaper than owning, and you are in something new every few years....with a warranty and a free loaner.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

I wouldn't send a kid off to School in a car I just bought, make, model doesn't matter.
The car your kid takes to college is the car your wife has been driving for the past few years,
because you know it's not a POS, and you've been maintaining it so it doesn't break down, and she doesn't bitch you out for it.
Your wife gets to choose a new/newer car because you now have one less kid in the house to deal with.
PS
When the car comes home from School, you have to take care of all the deferred maintenance,
because you know for damn sure the kid's not maintaining the car.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
I wouldn't send a kid off to School in a car I just bought, make, model doesn't matter.
The car your kid takes to college is the car your wife has been driving for the past few years,
because you know it's not a POS, and you've been maintaining it so it doesn't break down, and she doesn't bitch you out for it.
Your wife gets to choose a new/newer car because you now have one less kid in the house to deal with.
PS
When the car comes home from School, you have to take care of all the deferred maintenance,
because you know for damn sure the kid's not maintaining the car.

Now, that's good advice. Makes a lot of sense, but may not work for everyone.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
You can do what you want but any company making such a bold claim would have to be able to back it up or face massive amounts of fines & litigation.

Besides, it was a funny commercial. In Budweiser's case, something would be flowing out your butt but it wouldn't be rainbows. Laughing

I think I understand now, it would seem some folks are swayed by advertising hype rather than hard numbers and stats. Don't believe sales hype my friend.
rustfree1967bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

I agree with vw's after 2004 being garbage. I bought a 2007 3.6 passat wagon and it has been one problem after the next, i am trying to sell it and can hardly give it away. On the other hand my girlfriend has a 2003 1.8t 5 speed jetta with 250k and have only done normal maintenance( wheel bearing, brakes, oil changes and timing belt and waterpump) and she has owned the car for 3 years and since 175k. I've also got a '96 2.0 jetta with almost 290k. She's rough but it still gets me where i need to go.
'66 sunroof beetle
'74 bus
'67 so-42

IDA's...well... they talk dirty -MURZI
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

I think I understand now, it would seem some folks are swayed by advertising hype rather than hard numbers and stats. Don't believe sales hype my friend.

VW didn't make up the stat. but apparently "it was based on information from data compilers WolframAlpha and IHS Automotive" but you can do your own research since you're so hooked on stats.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1089949_volkswa...l-ad-video

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Went for 04 xc70 140k, (Skills recommendation ) recent timing belt, drove and shifted fine ,done deal.
Can anyone recommend a volvo mechanic in st petersburg fla for while shes at college thanks
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

I read most of the threads.. anyone ask? m or f ? can they work on cars ? drive a stick ? they know how to check fluids ? put gas in? air pressure in tires? or .. is this a snowflake sort? no pun intended.. my dad was Pharmacist for about 60 years.. smartest man I ever met when it came to DRUGS.. but could not find the dipstick to check oil to save his life.. a lot will depend on the kid going to college.. hell.. 3,200 bucks ? a guy ? get him a late 80s vett and look cool at skewl..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Went for 04 xc70 140k, (Skills recommendation ) recent timing belt, drove and shifted fine ,done deal.
Can anyone recommend a volvo mechanic in st petersburg fla for while shes at college thanks

shit, I wish you'd reached out before the purchase. make sure the T belt/water pump etc etc is genuine Volvo....seen too much aftermarket gates shit kill these cars.

they are pretty robust cars. expensive to properly repair but lets put it this way...mrs skills and the lowercase skills get around in a 06 XC70. keep an eye on the oil level and do the oil early...3 to 3500 miles. they will throw fits with the VVT if the oil is low or dirty.

MANN oil filters, or OEM Volvo ONLY....junk parts house filters collapse and get sucked into itself...I should have a few photos to prove it.

overall decent cars. a few minor hiccups but it's about the safest thing you can put a family in

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

I love the odometer pics post. What the hell does that prove? You know what would be better is if you posted the odometer pic then the grand total dollar amount spent on maintenance to get it there. THAT would be a worthwhile metric.
In comparison I drove a 97 Saturn SL1 for over 10 years, up and down the East Coast, and put about 200k miles on it. In that time I'd say I probably spent around $2000 on maintaining it. In over 10 years. Timing belt, dead alternator, and motor mounts were the only things beyond brakes and oil changes, which I did myself.
That car owed me NOTHING. I sold it for $700 and the only thing that killed it was a giant block of ice that fell a couple stories and caved in the roof during 2015's Snowpocalypse up here. It had 285k on it when it went to the junkyard. Otherwise I'd gamble my paycheck it'd still be putting around, over 300k with the exhaust still held together with beer cans and tiger tape.

Modern VWs are garbage money pits. I liken them to boats when people ask my advice on new car purchases. My buddy in FL is adamant about getting one of their new full size SUVs...the Atlas I think. Oooh first year of a new model....good luck guy!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Lease him a Nissan Leaf , 80 mile range will keep road trips to a minimum. Don't burden him with a used car. Skills is right..the tide has turned on vehicles and leasing is the way to go. Car "ownership" will be for 3rd world countries that get our throw-aways who try and limp them along for awhile.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys the 04 xc seems to be fine She will run it this summer locally to get the feel of it and find any idiosynchrosis and then we will probably do a new timing belt/water pump brakes before she drives from Vt to Fla . Any one know a good volvo mechanic in St. Petersburg?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

I can ask about a shop down there on a group I am on. you'll want a shop with VIDA (diagnostic s/w) to keep it going.

get a t belt kit from Volvo and the OE water pump...trust me GENUINE VOLVO ONLY on this. the drive belt will be ok with conti, and check the drive belt idler pulley, as it probably can use one.

check for oil behind the VVT hubs. what part of VT are you in? I know a fantastic shop in Hyde Park, VT that would do an honest assessment on the car.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Montgomery, Vt. Hyde Park is only 1/2 hour away. Can you post or pm the name and number of the shop Thanks , Dewey
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Montgomery, Vt. Hyde Park is only 1/2 hour away. Can you post or pm the name and number of the shop Thanks , Dewey

p/m sent

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Car for college kid Reply with quote

Car for college kid

.... sounds like a fair swap. Wink

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: