Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear air scoop covers?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

I'm converting my 1969 bay window bus to electric power, and I need to seal the engine bay in order to keep it relatively dry. I've seen a few examples of people making their own rear air scoop covers. Does anyone make and sell scoop covers off the shelf, or are these always custom made? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Cheers
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

IMHO. I would think if the bottom of the engine compartment was buttoned up proper. No need to cover scoops.

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
IMHO. I would think if the bottom of the engine compartment was buttoned up proper. No need to cover scoops.

Interesting. I've got the bottom of the compartment covered pretty well. Not completely water tight, but definitely good enough for my purposes.

It seems like in a heavy rain, water would just pour into these scoops. Is that not the case? Thanks
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

Was designed not to soak the engine compartment and would drain away. If you modified the design with the motor you are using. Might be different story.
However, a lot of moisture from the bottom accumulates if not sealed proper. VW wanted to keep road air out and for sure moisture from corroding the engine bay.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

The thing about that video and covering the air scoops is... am I wrong or isn't an engine pretty much an air pump? Block off the air and it's going to choke the engine. An electric conversion would be different of course.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Was designed not to soak the engine compartment and would drain away. If you modified the design with the motor you are using. Might be different story.

I have modified the interior of the engine compartment. There aren't any obvious drain channels they way I have it setup now.

I think I'm going to want to cover /seal the scoops eventually.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

I agree Aeromech, I was thinking the same thing. And OP. I wouldn't be in a hurry to cover. Wait for some rain and see what happens. Aesthetically I think it would look better with scoops exposed (I know not my bus). Maybe you could use some clear durable Lexan 9034 or similar so it keeps the look. I want pictures of the motor set up. Sounds interesting.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
rmallory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
I agree Aeromech, I was thinking the same thing. And OP. I wouldn't be in a hurry to cover. Wait for some rain and see what happens. Aesthetically I think it would look better with scoops exposed (I know not my bus). Maybe you could use some clear durable Lexan 9034 or similar so it keeps the look. I want pictures of the motor set up. Sounds interesting.

Yeah that's good idea. I'll wait and see how it does in the rain first. Thanks for the help everyone
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

If you can track down a pair of these, they are the real deal:

ratwell wrote:

8.15 Winter operation:

If it snows heavily where you live you may want to get a pair of these:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They were sold by the dealer (000 091 232) but you can still find them on eBay for about $40. Made in Germany and they fit 73-79 models.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FAQ.html

https://www.type2.com/lists/type2/oldarchive/message/536675
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

You could probably make a baffle that would sit inside the scoop and redirect most of the water, it could channel the water out the bottom louver or pipe it through the floor somehow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: