Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Stupid Question Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxmylyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Hi there, I have a stupid question:

I have a '71 Super Beetle and the fuel filler neck has cracked where the cap screws into the neck. How do I go about replacing just the tip (heh)? What part should I be searching for and where can I find one?

I can't even find a full replacement neck, let alone just the one part, and I've been having no luck searching anywhere. At this point I'll settle for buying a whole new neck, even though I just need to replace the plastic end where the cap screws in.

Needs a paint job, but it's in good shape.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2055383
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2055380
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1966756
Found these here in the classifieds. Not sure if this is what you need.
You can also call Avery's Aircooled in Kelso, WA. I was at a car show there last weekend and was able to walk almost all of the storage containers. They likey have what your looking for at a reasonable price.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
maxmylyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion - all three of them don't have the plastic endpiece I'm looking for. I just need the piece where the cap screws into :/

Needs a paint job, but it's in good shape.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

maxmylyn wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion - all three of them don't have the plastic endpiece I'm looking for. I just need the piece where the cap screws into :/

Sorry dude. The newest ACVW I have owned was a 70 and never a super. I was just trying to help ya out. My 70 standard had a 1/4 turn cap. Not the screw in type. Look around, there's a few VW salvagers out there that may have the part that you are looking for.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Patrick_S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How do you safely lift a Beetle engine with 2 people? Can each person grab one cylinder head and move the engine wherever? I'm afraid of warping metal.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Patrick_S wrote:
How do you safely lift a Beetle engine with 2 people? Can each person grab one cylinder head and move the engine wherever? I'm afraid of warping metal.

Not a problem lifting with each guy holding onto a head. These engines when all together are pretty durable. Just pick it up and move it where you may.

Good Luck.

02FUN61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: 1978 Convertible seat release Reply with quote

I am looking for any tips on the seat release in this 78 vert. I want to know what parts to look for (to order missing parts) and how to install cables and connect them to the slide knob on the side. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nn9955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Stupid question (hence the forum).

Can anyone tell me what the metal piece that holds the turn signal/ignition (see pic) switch is called? mine is damaged and needs to be replaced.

If you have any idea where I could order one, that would be great too.

Thanks

Nick

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Okay, here goes. Been looking since I first signed on last summer and can't find the answer. Any searches unsurprisingly simply come up with threads/posts with "PICT" in them. But, what does PICT stand for in these carburetors? Initials? Abbreviation? Acronym? (I work for the Government, I love/hate acronyms.) Knowing won't alter the rotation of the Earth (I hope Shocked ), just one of those Hmmm things.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

A very quick samba search turned up this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321962&highlight=pict

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Well...phooey Embarassed . It's either my search skills or lack of patience, I can never seem to find that much information. Thanks!
Ripton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How do I get the pull knob off my headlight switch? The switch itself has come loose from the dash and the only way to turn off the lights is to open the trunk and have someone hold it for me while I push the switch. I figure I only need to tighten the nut, but how to access it baffles me.. Lefty loosie? Does it just unscrew? By the looks of a replacement switch that what it looks like. I may need a large pair of vise grips to hold the switch itself from inside the trunk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ripton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok I got the knob off and yes, the nut is completely off. It looks ok but now not able to get it back on thread. Is there a trick or isnit just persistence?
CaBrunet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread 1972 Vert Super Beetle Decklid Reply with quote

I've been wanting to add chrome vent covers to my decklid. I ordered them on Ebay but had to return them because they were not tapered to fit the vents on my decklind. Does anyone know if this is a standard decklid or added to the car at some point (aftermarket, Brazilian, etc.).

Any help or direction would really be appreciated. 1972 Super Beetle Convertible.

Thanks!
Roz
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ripton wrote:
Ok I got the knob off and yes, the nut is completely off. It looks ok but now not able to get it back on thread. Is there a trick or isnit just persistence?

Persistence, being careful not to cross thread it. Also, there is a special screwdriver for those bolts made by Snap-On, or you can modify a fender washer. Check out this thread;

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4482167

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread 1972 Vert Super Beetle Decklid Reply with quote

CaBrunet wrote:

I've been wanting to add chrome vent covers to my decklid. I ordered them on Ebay but had to return them because they were not tapered to fit the vents on my decklind. Does anyone know if this is a standard decklid or added to the car at some point (aftermarket, Brazilian, etc.).

Any help or direction would really be appreciated. 1972 Super Beetle Convertible.

Thanks!
Roz

That is a Brazilian deck lid. The tapered outer vents and the extra space in the center between them give it away.
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Ok here's a question that I kind know what I SHOULD do but is it necessary (I'm not 100% sure what it is)? Ok here goes:

When making right U-turns I'll get a faint Whoowhoowhoowhoo sound front the rear right wheel. I'm guessing it's the bearings but I only get it in turns. A sign the bearings are on (past?) their last legs? Replace? Repack?

EDIT: Fairly convinced its the wheel bearings, will try to replace/repack soon.

If it’s not leaking oil, there probably isn’t any left.

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1973 Hilux w/flatbed & crate motor
1989 Aero & Adams FV
Dan Hiebert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

How fast are you making those U-turns? Could be that right rear tire lifting off the pavement just enough to change the tone the tread makes. You being in the driver's seat would put more weight to the outside of a right-hand vs. a left hand U-turn. Bad bearings would make noise all the time.
Holey42001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

Dan Hiebert wrote:
How fast are you making those U-turns? Could be that right rear tire lifting off the pavement just enough to change the tone the tread makes. You being in the driver's seat would put more weight to the outside of a right-hand vs. a left hand U-turn. Bad bearings would make noise all the time.

"...bad bearings would make noise all the time..."

Right, that's what I was thinking too

They are just an average u-turn don't know the exact speed, sorry.
Also at the time I had three others in the car, however the tread lifting is still possible I suppose....

If it’s not leaking oil, there probably isn’t any left.

1973 Standard Bug
1972 MG Midget
1973 Hilux w/flatbed & crate motor
1989 Aero & Adams FV
JeffsThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The Stupid Question Thread Reply with quote

New stupid question for the day! I change out the front drum brakes on my 79 SB vert for disc. and I used the kit from Jbugs. I chose the rotors drilled and tapped for the Porsche lug pattern. I have a set of Fuchs wheels to use. I then also bought the rear adapter kit so I can use the same 5 bolt pattern on the rear. Now for the dumb question...The people at Jbugs said I had to buy and use the same bolts as I needed for the front to mount the wheels but low and behold the kit comes with studs and 1 of them is a double sided so it is used to bolt the adapter on and also to use as the 5th lug. What the hell do I use on that stud that would match the other for lug bolts? I now have 4 lug bolts and one stud. I sent an email to Jbugs but have not heard anything back so i thought maybe someone on here has done the same thing as I have and might steer me in the right direction. I would like to have all the wheel lugs to be the same all around. I think it will look really stupid with different ones on the same wheel or different front from rear. Any help here?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 127, 128, 129  Next
Jump to:
Page 36 of 129

Jump to: