Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Willard:

Any chance on posting some pics of the car in question?
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Willard001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Hi, the car is for sale by a dealer, so I don't have pictures but here is a link to the web site here

http://www.bmwburton.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen-beetle-burton-upon-trent-201703223557974

It does appear to have several non original features including the spoiler, hub caps, mirrors, side repeaters etc .
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

side repeaters were added to comply with UK traffic regulations (in Italy it's the same), their position isn't really the best one can choose but if they are wired, and were fitted, correctly they won't give you issues (check for rust behind them inside the trunk, who drilled the holes may have not rustproofed the bare metal).

chrome side mirrors and hubcaps were common additions to european imports and can be reversed: OE black mirrors are still available, grey original hubcaps aren't but you can buy black primed caps from VW and have them painted (prices are rising for OE parts). the engine looks nice visually, and the rear rain guard spoiler is a bolt on accessory.

check the front of the car, as the front bumper is not original (it's an older narrow stripe type) and the spoiler may have been added to hide some damage.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

chrome side mirrors and hubcaps were common additions to european imports and can be reversed...

The original black mirrors were removed from my '96 when it was imported to the UK (from Germany). They did not meet the UK requirements (I'll dig around for the inspection report).

It's possible that they were removed to meet MOT. As Garba says, the side markers would have been added for MOT (my car did not have them in Germany, they were added for the MOT).

The car probably has lap belts in the back, the shoulder belts that the European Mexi's have don't meet the UK shoulder height requirement. (My car had GMC lap belts in the back, I've since swapped them to be VW lap belts). Note that the original Mexi's did not have shoulder belts in the back, that was a Euro mod. Don't be alarmed if there are two holes for the shoulder belts behind the rear seat, through the firewall.

As I said I'll find the inspection sheet and post it, the car may have had some of those mods, I wouldn't let them be a deal breaker.

The car looks great (I love the front scoop, I have the same one!).

Edit: I see a Mexican Beetle Registry* sticker in the rear side window. Maybe contact them and see if they know the car. Here is their facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Mexibeetle/

(* A UK group for Mexi-Beetle owners)
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Willard001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice. This car has been for sale for some time, the owner tried to sell as a private sale, it was then purchased by a dealer. I am told it was originally purchased by Coors brewery in the UK and wrapped in film promoting the Sol beer brand.
nx6h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

My 2003 has black mirrors and i assumed they were original ? Never had a problem at MOT time . It also has side repeaters fitted ( very poorly) the wings were simply drilled and the bare metal left exposed
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

You can tell the OE mirrors as they had side-specific arms, the left one being straight and the rigth one curved upwards to be more visible from the driver's seat (LHD car).
I'm assuming the MOT tester may have overlooked them, or maybe it was a case of hopkin's car's tester being over zealous.

It seems that poor fitting of side repeaters is unfortunately quite common.
local importers fitted them with little to no attention as they tried to maximize their profit: on my beetle each repeater hide holes that look like they may have been cut with a spoon rather than drilled and of course I had to take everything apart an re-do it properly as no rust proofing was used and the connection were not shorting just out of sheer luck.

edit: I corrected the post as I had left&right mixed up in the initial version. Well, maybe because I'm left handed Very Happy
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I've highlighted the note about the mirrors made on the inspection report (this was the second inspection, the first inspection had 3 pages of things to be done Rolling Eyes )
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The replacement mirrors looked very much like the ones on the green car. They were larger than the black ones I replaced them with (OEM from Mexico).

The side repeater install was poor on my car as well, at least they used Hella markers (from a Vauxhall). I removed them and painted the area, there was no rust and then I "MacGyver'd" a band on the inside so they fit tight.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)

Last edited by hopkin on Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
nx6h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Just looked (OE mirrors) . I suspect Beetles-UK fitted correct mirrors just to pass SVA test and then refitted the OE mirrors before selling the car . Beetles -UK really were a bunch of cheapskate cowboys. I bought the car new for £9000 and when i collected it the petrol gauge read empty and they refused to put even a gallon of fuel into it
Willard001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

This is great information. Thank you.
robert Tarzwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hi have a strange brazil motor i believe it was from their R&D dept for a 356 fiberglass project in 1993 they shipped the Florida company making 356 a bare chassis with a motor fitted, it was not a teardown it was the chassis as off the floor, had drum front brakes and split axle, all brand new, twin carb motor ser number is zhr or (2hr) three 000 xed out then 000101101 4 as21

is bright orange with alternator any ideas ??

blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Looks like a Puma engine.
robert Tarzwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

yes it does look like the puma engine but mine does not have the two side hoses to the exhaust area im quite sure about the 1993 timeline from the papers i got but Puma was out of business then . any idea how large was told 2 liter ?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Here's a photo of a Puma engine I took a few years ago. I don't know the year.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

hopkin, that is a type 4 engine.

re robert Tarzwell pic, the shape of the fan housing is typical of late brazilian type 1s as it was meant to allow the upright engine to be fitted in the vw brasilia leaving a bit of usable luggage space accessible through the rear hatch. absence of heater ducts' outlets is also a trait of late brazilian shrouds.

I bet you are reading the number on the side of the oil sump. if this is the case, they are part numbers/manufacturing stamps; 000 101 101 is the part number (I have to look it up in the catalog, but the central "101" identifies it as an engine part and the leading "000" makes me think it's a replacement case), AS21 is the code for the alloy the engine casing is made of. This leads me to think the "4" you read between them is actually an "A", (modification code for the part number) and the "crossed zeroes" are the audi/auto union logo.

being a replacement case, the number should have been stamped on by the builder in the usual location below the alternator stand.

edit: the number does not appear in any of the parts manuals I have or have access to. however, since "101 101" identify an engine case, and esp. since the combination of the leading three figures of the part number identifies the model the part was originally designed for, IMHO having "000" points to a not type-specific engine case, i.e. a replacement that could be built both upright or pancake, installed in a car or in a bus. does it happen to have the mounts for the mustache bar in the oil pump area?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v

Last edited by GArBa on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
hopkin, that is a type 4 engine.

Thanks, it was in the only Puma I've ever seen, so I posted it ... off topic, but here's the car the motor was in:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I'd say the design of the puma is really remarkable. It's often quite difficult for a small volume manufacturer to integrate off-the-shelf components in their bodies (e.g. those hideous cross-eyed morgans), in this version they acheived a really good result using the brasilia's rear light clusters.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Markybug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

What a great thread!

I hope to get either a mexibug or a brazilian fusca (eventually!) , so this is all good info Smile

Mark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

Since I've recently swapped my headlights as per my previous posts, I made this short video to explain the main differences between mexi and euro H4 set-ups. Apologies for the accent (and the background noise, was warming up the engine).

Link

'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years Reply with quote

I liked your video's, and your english is very good! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 193

Jump to: