Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

RVAmike97 wrote:

I guess I'm having a hard time initially learning why these transmissions need such an upgrade over stock vs other vehicles. For example, you can abuse a TH350 in a GM car pretty good before needing to make big investments into the drivetrain, granted that's an automatic. My '93 Nissan 240 was manual, I took it from around 150HP stock to 280HP and never touched the drivetrain and put almost 100k miles of harsh abuse on it. Now I understand this is potentially a bigger jump and not every car has been engineered the same. I'm just trying to get a feel for what people are actually running.

You are comparing running 4x the HP through a 40+ year old transmission in an economy car to 2x the power through a modern transmission in a sports car.

The stock VW transmission is surprisingly robust, compared to cars with similar power output of the same era (be glad you don't own a Fiat 850). But you need to be realistic about exactly what you're doing and in the correct context. You're venturing into the territory of heavy maintenance and broken parts at that power output, and you don't appear to grasp that concept.

I don't think electrickery works that way

Last edited by Stripped66 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

Back in the 50's & early 60's VW uses a 36 & 40 HP engine. The transaxles were built to handle these power levels. Later VW's were 50-60 HP. You are wanting to build a 200 HP engine that is 3 1/2 time more powerful than the 60 HP engine the transaxle in your '71 was designed to use. If you built an engine 4 times more powerful in a GM (800-900 HP) you would have to upgrade the drive train just as much. Where you got lost in this thread was people throwing drag racing (with slicks) into a street driven car. Controlling wheel hop and drag race starts is what kills VW transaxles along with using too strong a clutch & PP.

To build a stronger VW transaxle you use parts from a Bug, Bus, and Type III and Frankenstein them together. When you are starting with 50 year old parts, you may need 3-4 core transaxles to get enough parts to build one solid transaxle

You can rebuild a GM Powerglide with basic hand tools. It takes about $1000 of special tools and jigs to rebuild a VW transaxle and many of the special tools are no longer available.

The weak link in a VW transaxle is the 6 3/8" ring & pinion gear and the spider & trunion gears in the differential. A Ford has an 8.8" or 9" R&P and were used in a 5000 Lb. 1/2 ton pick-up truck.

As far as your engine goes, decide what you want and build it the first time. It is a foolish waste of money to keep upgrading & improving in stages. 160-170 HP can be very enjoyable and live 60K miles in a street driven VW. That's close to 3 times the original power. You will also have to upgrade the stock drum brakes safely stop 3X more HP.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

The weakest link IMO is the keyed mainshaft in early trans. These have issues shearing off the keys on the 3rd/4th. I realize they offer HD keys but nothing like splined. ok?

Hence, most here tell you to go w/ the splined mains 3rd/4th, me included. Splined mainshafts came as early as 71-72 in Ghia, if Im not mistaken. Then came the 3.88 Ring/Pinion 9-tooth >the strongest we have ever had from the factory.

You have a choice of main tunnels to choose from, depending on what you want.

Gears are all over the place to what you want if you decide to go close-ratio. Welding or no-welding is up to you. It costs money the more the work.

Since you have decided to buy the kit, my last advice to you is to MAKE SURE the flywheel you get is NOt some cast iron Chinese shit -these will not hold up. ONly get the premium vanadium or chomoly steel flyweels.

Im out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

Trivia...the only 10 tooth mainshaft (3.80 first) with splines was a 71 bus. In 72 the bus got the 9 tooth (3.7Cool first added as well, then late 72 (some call it 73) everything had the stronger first gear with only 9 teeth with the stronger splines for the 3-4 hub.

If I remember right it was Nov of 72 for the T1's.....but history has shown the factory didn't throw stuff away. They would have used up all the 10tooth shafts before going to the 9 tooth shafts.

6V swings have weaker idlers on 1st and 2nd, the later 1st gear idler is noticeably thicker and therefore stronger. I don't know if the weaker 3.80 first gear shafts have a difference in strength between the nut version and the clip version.

The 002 main shaft and 1st gear idler are a little thinner than the 091....but you can put an 091 idler with the 002 main shaft fi you do another mod or two.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

all those numbers get me confuzed Confused
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

indeed, it makes you dizzy.
When I had mcmscott build my transmission, he helped me choose all of the strongest factory components. The thing is, they were from all sorts of models, and to use them all together involved tons of modifications. I've been beating on it for a few years now with zero issues. I am running the 3.88 ring/ pinion and mainshaft from a late beetle single side cover trans, with a 002 (I think) coarse spline 3rd and 4th (.82) gears. The gearing is tall, but the 150hp-ish engine easily pushes it. This combo makes for an easy driving car, but if I was racing it, it would be MUCH faster with a different combination of closer gears.
The nice thing about building with factory parts is the cost, once you get into the Weddle catalog the cost goes up quickly.
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

When I had mcmscott build my transmission, he helped me choose all of the strongest factory components. The thing is, they were from all sorts of models, and to use them all together involved tons of modifications. I've been beating on it for a few years now with zero issues. I am running the 3.88 ring/ pinion and mainshaft from a late beetle single side cover trans, with a 002 (I think) coarse spline 3rd and 4th (.82) gears. The gearing is tall, but the 150hp-ish engine easily pushes it. This combo makes for an easy driving car, but if I was racing it, it would be MUCH faster with a different combination of closer gears.
The nice thing about building with factory parts is the cost, once you get into the Weddle catalog the cost goes up quickly.

This is basically what I have also ..
" 2013 Lakeland Classic Best of Show "
" 2014 Show and Shine , First in class "
"
Like my facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raul-Arrese-custom-fabrication-and-performance/1832968110262608
RVAmike97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Back in the 50's & early 60's VW uses a 36 & 40 HP engine. The transaxles were built to handle these power levels. Later VW's were 50-60 HP. You are wanting to build a 200 HP engine that is 3 1/2 time more powerful than the 60 HP engine the transaxle in your '71 was designed to use. If you built an engine 4 times more powerful in a GM (800-900 HP) you would have to upgrade the drive train just as much. Where you got lost in this thread was people throwing drag racing (with slicks) into a street driven car. Controlling wheel hop and drag race starts is what kills VW transaxles along with using too strong a clutch & PP.

To build a stronger VW transaxle you use parts from a Bug, Bus, and Type III and Frankenstein them together. When you are starting with 50 year old parts, you may need 3-4 core transaxles to get enough parts to build one solid transaxle

You can rebuild a GM Powerglide with basic hand tools. It takes about $1000 of special tools and jigs to rebuild a VW transaxle and many of the special tools are no longer available.

The weak link in a VW transaxle is the 6 3/8" ring & pinion gear and the spider & trunion gears in the differential. A Ford has an 8.8" or 9" R&P and were used in a 5000 Lb. 1/2 ton pick-up truck.

As far as your engine goes, decide what you want and build it the first time. It is a foolish waste of money to keep upgrading & improving in stages. 160-170 HP can be very enjoyable and live 60K miles in a street driven VW. That's close to 3 times the original power. You will also have to upgrade the stock drum brakes safely stop 3X more HP.

Ok, now you're throwing stuff out there I can relate to and understand your recommendations Wink

I'm thinking your last statement there may be the most likely of what happens... I'm guessing once I get the engine all together and running good I might be in that range... I want to get this engine together, chassis done the way I want, then revisit the transaxle at a later time. If that means I'll need to keep it at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle for a while and off any track, I'm ok with that.

I'll see what PEP can do for me within the confines of what I initially want to spend.

You guys throw out great recommendations and info to consider. I really do appreciate all the voices of experience.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
esde wrote:
mark tucker wrote:

This is basically what I have also ..

Me too, cruises at 70mph easy

brad
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

I have the 89 4th, 70 no issue execpt for lower speedlimit......for the 82 I would want a 5 spd...or 6 Wink 6spd automatic would be my choice if I had money fling out of my ass....money not monkey!!!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

When I swapped my 2 liter from my lowered Beetle to my mostly stock single cab pickup, it made a world of difference in the way I could use the truck. BUT, other than having gas shocks, nothing else was modified suspension wise to drive this engine the way I used to in the Bug.

A couple months ago, I was driving the truck a little harder than usual but not racing it or popping the clutch. I had severe wheel hop out of nowhere and it was pretty violent. I'm never going to do that again!

I just want to emphasize what Scott said and look at the pics slalombuggy posted. My Bug has similair mods to the frame horns, so when I would rip through gears I never could not get the wheels to hop at all. The mod worked so well that I totally forgot about wheel hop because I was spoiled in the way I used to be able to thrash on the engine. When the trans is out just do yourself a favor and do what you must to beef up those frame horns.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theDrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I had a big, 2332 in my "street legal" salt flats car. MCMScott built me basically a stock transaxle with a 3.88r/p, .82 4th, HD side cover and welded gear hubs. Nothing fancy but it works great and has held up to some stoplight abuse. I have done everything possible to brace the transaxle from flexing. Rear forks are braced from the cage and braced from the bottom when I did a torsion housing raise. I also run a steel rear mount and weld in Berg midmount. Anything you can do to stop the transaxle from flexing is a plus..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad

Slalom -- can you talk more about that support? What size tube etc?
RVAmike97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:

I just want to emphasize what Scott said and look at the pics slalombuggy posted. My Bug has similair mods to the frame horns, so when I would rip through gears I never could not get the wheels to hop at all. The mod worked so well that I totally forgot about wheel hop because I was spoiled in the way I used to be able to thrash on the engine. When the trans is out just do yourself a favor and do what you must to beef up those frame horns.

This is something completely within my capability of doing.

I need to ask about wheel hop. I'm the type person that has to understand the "why" behind something.

Realizing power is lost when wheel hop happens, I'm not understaning how eliminating it is harder on the transmission other than applying a consistent and more sustained torque to the gears.But it seems like wheel hop would cause more overall damage under increased power conditions, due to the hammering effect like an impact gun ??? Learning here, I just want to understand the theory if someone can explain.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

You want to eliminate wheel hop…. It will kill a tranny in no time.
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

I used 2" .095 wall tubing that I trimmed to fit the frame horns and welded it between the splice plate for the torsion raise and the forks. Were I to do it again I would probably fill in the gap left at the front, but that would only be for asthetics.

Even if you don't have a cage in your car you could run horn stiffeners up into the body. The rear corners of the parcel tray are probably one of the strongest points on the car and you could tie a solid rear mount into plates bolted into the corners, such as in the picture below, but without the cage. Easy to hide under carpet.

brad
RVAmike97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I used 2" .095 wall tubing that I trimmed to fit the frame horns and welded it between the splice plate for the torsion raise and the forks. Were I to do it again I would probably fill in the gap left at the front, but that would only be for asthetics.

Even if you don't have a cage in your car you could run horn stiffeners up into the body. The rear corners of the parcel tray are probably one of the strongest points on the car and you could tie a solid rear mount into plates bolted into the corners, such as in the picture below, but without the cage. Easy to hide under carpet.

brad

A cage might be in the cards further down the road. I want to do a roll bar if I can work it into the budget right off the bat.

Appreciate the great info.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

RVAmike97 wrote:

Even if you don't have a cage in your car you could run horn stiffeners up into the body. The rear corners of the parcel tray are probably one of the strongest points on the car and you could tie a solid rear mount into plates bolted into the corners,

smart man.
I did that to several bugs, works well. I even tried a kafer brace for a while but ended up taking that off and going back to how it was before.
There is also flex in the rear mount bracket. it's thin sheetmetal, it flexes, HUGE improvement beefing it, if you will stay with rubber mounts, and you may as well. You can have solid or urethane mounts and still have wheel hop, because it wasn't the rubber that was flexing!
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

Ray Vallero apparently used these rabbit ear braces to tie the rear wall to the upper engine mount bolts. No doubt this isn't exactly how it bolts up to the engine..
I stole the pic from Dawn's thread here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

RVAmike97 wrote:
roachdub58 wrote:

This is something completely within my capability of doing.

I need to ask about wheel hop. I'm the type person that has to understand the "why" behind something.

Realizing power is lost when wheel hop happens, I'm not understaning how eliminating it is harder on the transmission other than applying a consistent and more sustained torque to the gears.But it seems like wheel hop would cause more overall damage under increased power conditions, due to the hammering effect like an impact gun ??? Learning here, I just want to understand the theory if someone can explain.

Wheel hop loads and unloads the transaxle very quickly causing parts to hammer against each other. IF parts are held tightly against each other (preload your tranny before a drag race start) they are much stronger. Bracing the forks also keeps the transaxle housing from twisting down the long axis (especially through the relatively big holes around the ring and pinion) and gears coming out of alignment and eating each other

brad
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Wondering about transmission recommendation for 2332 Reply with quote

RVAmike97 wrote:
cage might be in the cards further down the road. I want to do a roll bar if I can work it into the budget right off the bat.

If you are really serious about a 200 HP engine I would suggest you install a roll bar before you install the engine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: