Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rob's '63 Rag thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Joseph DR wrote:
Just went through your pages, Empi. Excellent and speedy build! Cool

Thanks

Did some more today. Degreased the visors, painted them up and polished the mirror.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also took the speedometer apart and reset the odometer. Going to put new bulbs in.

I already forgot how all these rubber seals go Rolling Eyes

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Finished up the speedo. Painted the black ring in there silver beige to brighten it up some.

Put new color film for the indicator lights

BN8687
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Looks great
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

I tried to buy Silver Beige from WW but they are sold out. I was told they should be in soon.

What did you use for the gels in the speedo? WW or divider tabs?
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Joseph DR wrote:
I tried to buy Silver Beige from WW but they are sold out. I was told they should be in soon.

What did you use for the gels in the speedo? WW or divider tabs?

Thanks guys, yea I have another can of silver beige to do the e-brake, shift handle and the seat frames. I may need one more can actually. The gels I used are just divider gels I had already.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Got one of these roller throttle cable tubes from Joe Bence in the classifieds. Nice quality piece

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Cleaned up the under seat brace, was crusty. Wire wheel worked pretty good on it. Primed up for now.

Soaked the hood latch in degreaser, cleaned up decent. Painted the cover.

Got some new billet boards

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Cleaned up these headliner screws. Anyone know why there are the stainless looking ones versus the chrome? Bugs only use 4 of them right?

EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

I'm back on the body for now. Filling dents, digs here and there and filling sanding scratches.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

car is looking good man, keep at it!
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Thanks man, I've been learning bodywork from you on your thread Wink . I ordered new Devilbiss spray guns. I'm going to start out getting a pint of Gulf Blue base mixed along with the clear. Will start with like the glove box door and some interior parts first to see how they come out.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Took the seats apart. Fronts are from a '64 and rear from a '62...same frames as '63 anyway. Pretty beat and nasty. I'm going to get them blasted and powdercoated locally.

Going to try making these pieces out of masonite if I can't find any good ones.

TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
Thanks man, I've been learning bodywork from you on your thread Wink . I ordered new Devilbiss spray guns. I'm going to start out getting a pint of Gulf Blue base mixed along with the clear. Will start with like the glove box door and some interior parts first to see how they come out.

Very nice work so far, it's all in breaking down the details. That's how I got better at paint. Practice on little pieces here and there. Do the back of your glove box door first. Shoot your dash and all major exterior panels in one shot if possible. If you only do a panel at a time you risk having it look like different shades of blue. Temp, humidity, etc really do affect the way a color dries!

When you are done shooting small pieces that aren't in direct sunlight, take the left over paint and add it to your large gallon can and mix it really well. This will average out any variations in your different batches that were mixed. Generally, the toners are more consistent with higher grades of paint. I've mixed many formulas of cheap tractor paint for ag guys.... sometimes you need to open a brand new gallon can of red orange toner or whatever in the middle of making A certain red for someone- you would be surprised how inconsistent the toner color comes from the factory.

Another thing to be careful of is the guy who mixes for you. I'm super anal and would get it close as possible to the .1 gram increment whenever possible. If you get some kid who doesn't give a shit, they'll just wing it within a few grams. They don't care that a guy might be halfway through a paint job and they might ruin it! Some colors are very sensitive. Say a color like your blue only needs a few grams of black in an entire gallon, 6 grams instead of 3 can make a huge difference.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

roachdub58 wrote:
EMPIImp69 wrote:

Very nice work so far, it's all in breaking down the details. That's how I got better at paint. Practice on little pieces here and there. Do the back of your glove box door first. Shoot your dash and all major exterior panels in one shot if possible. If you only do a panel at a time you risk having it look like different shades of blue. Temp, humidity, etc really do affect the way a color dries!

When you are done shooting small pieces that aren't in direct sunlight, take the left over paint and add it to your large gallon can and mix it really well. This will average out any variations in your different batches that were mixed. Generally, the toners are more consistent with higher grades of paint. I've mixed many formulas of cheap tractor paint for ag guys.... sometimes you need to open a brand new gallon can of red orange toner or whatever in the middle of making A certain red for someone- you would be surprised how inconsistent the toner color comes from the factory.

Another thing to be careful of is the guy who mixes for you. I'm super anal and would get it close as possible to the .1 gram increment whenever possible. If you get some kid who doesn't give a shit, they'll just wing it within a few grams. They don't care that a guy might be halfway through a paint job and they might ruin it! Some colors are very sensitive. Say a color like your blue only needs a few grams of black in an entire gallon, 6 grams instead of 3 can make a huge difference.

Thanks man, this is good info to know. The place I've gone to get my paint before has been pretty good about it in the past, but it helps to know this kind of info beforehand. I really want to have the whole body prepped before I do any spraying at all. I just have to stay motivated enough in this heat to get the rest of the sanding and re-priming done. Here are the guns I got. Pretty good reviews on them.

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Guns look good, mine was a cheap china gun($160) it did okay.
You spraying this at home?
lovethatconvertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Popcorn Lovin' this thread, keep em coming.
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

63Ragtop NZ wrote:
Guns look good, mine was a cheap china gun($160) it did okay.
You spraying this at home?

Yea one gun has a 1.8 tip for primer and the other has a 1.3 tip for the base and clear..they give you a 1.5 tip too. I ordered a new gun stand with the strainer holder. Should have that next week. Yea the plan is to put plastic sheeting on all sides in one bay of my garage, to act like a booth. I have two 8ft flourescents and two 4ft led lights on the ceiling already and will have some on the sides too for more light. You did yours in your garage too right? Did you use an exhaust fan? Thx
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Just spray super early in the morning before the bugs wake up, just after sunrise. Be ready to turn on compressor and go! Do not paint at night because moths will flock to your lights. My guns are 1.8, 1.3 and 1.0 for detail gun. You're gonna do just fine if you pay attention to weather and wind conditions before you pick a paint day. It's very tricky to do a car outside of a booth, but I had great success with my single cab. Not a single bug and only 2 small runs.

Besides wearing a fresh respirator, don't under estimate how much your eyes will BURN. I didn't expect it.... although a single cab with all the panels blown out is a lot to cover compared to a Beetle. I did single stage for the "vintage look". It required 4 coats with the last one for buffing and run removal only. By the time I was on coat 4, it was really hard to see what I was doing.

I started at like 6 am and finished at almost 11. It was starting to get warm and bugs were waking up. The time can really fly by with all the flash times and triple checking everything. Don't plan on anything except one last wipe down and squirt away.

My old house was literally smack dab in the middle of an almond orchard. I couldn't believe I pulled it off. I dealt with pollen in early spring from the tree blossoms, then massive bee population flinging that wet pasty pollen stuff as they flew everywhere. If I did it in those conditions, you can do it. I think it was July or so when I did it.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

Yea I hear ya. I hope to start that early in the day. There's all kinds of shit flying around out here too, bugs, birds, leaves, you name it, its entered my garage at some point. A good respirator is on the list of stuff I still need. Compressor I'm using is below. Got a new filter for it I'm going to put on. I think it will be worth it hopefully.. Body shops giving me crazy estimates to paint it. Even Maaco wants $1500 to do bc/cc for just the outside.

At my old house I painted my Jeep outside b/c I had no garage Rolling Eyes Was a single stage metallic which turned out to be a pain in the ass

63Ragtop NZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rob's '63 Rag thread Reply with quote

yep, some good advice from roachdub there.
I did't use a fan, just had the shed door half open and the window cracked at the other end.
Apart from cost the other reason I went with old school single stage enamel is that it's much more forgiving than 2pack in a non booth environment and I knew I would be the weakest link in the chain, ie my lack of experience would be the limiting factor of the paint job.
Compressor looks good, about the same size as mine, you will need that filter, I also had a small inline one before the gun, do you have a clean air line?
Get as much light as you can, if you can't "see" like really see what you are doing, it makes things much harder!
look forward to your updates man, take your time with the prep and keep everything as clean as possible, good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: