Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper doesn't fit?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

Hi
Purchased this bus a while back and the bumper wasn't fitted. The engine is out of a beetle so I'm having trouble fitting the bumper. Rather than buy a new exhaust is there a way of modifying the exhaust or bumper for it to fit?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

There are two ways to do it. One is the right way. That would be to either buy the correct muffler and tail pipe or, less desirable, modifying the Bug muffler.
The other way is the typical "hippie hack" which involves clearancing your apron for the PS pea shooter and then torching some holes in the bumper for the two tail pipes. I think you know the preferred method. If you end up doing it the other way I would suggest you keep it a deep, dark secret or you will labeled a heretic and a butcher.

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

Technically, it's a heretic butcher but that might just be splitting hares.

Mmmmm, hares....dinner...
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

Do it right and get the correct Bus muffler with damper and correct "?" shaped tailpipe! Don't wreck a nice bumper with a torch. Hey, that left side bumper mounting bracket is 1959 thru about 1961 with that factory-added bracket for the early 40 hp tailpipe support bracket. Cool!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Do it right and get the correct Bus muffler with damper and correct "?" shaped tailpipe! Don't wreck a nice bumper with a torch. Hey, that left side bumper mounting bracket is 1959 thru about 1961 with that factory-added bracket for the early 40 hp tailpipe support bracket. Cool!

They used them later too - my original '63 has it even though it's a 1500cc Bus.
I think they used it while the 40hp was still available.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
BulliBill wrote:

They used them later too - my original '63 has it even though it's a 1500cc Bus.
I think they used it while the 40hp was still available.

And the Parts Catalog calls out up to Chassis # 1 167 862 on the mount bracket, so yea into '63. Also, ditto on not accommodating the exhaust by destroying the bumper...change the exhaust setup instead.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

Someone mentioned if a zoom box will fit?
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

I am not sure if a zoomie exhaust will fit. Here is an option for a brand new correct exhaust.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1952965
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

Buy a $140 muffler or destroy a $250 bumper? Why is there even a discussion?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

or if the money is not there, just leave the bumper off until the funds for the correct exhaust are there, or for a fancy exhaust if that is what strikes your fancy

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
stevo96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

It's $300 for an exhaust over here hence why I'm looking for a cheaper option. I've now removed the peashooters, tried to bend them, it ain't happenin!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

You could weld up the right hole in the muffler and make a bus shaped pipe for the left side. I haven't tried it but I have a bus exhaust I've never used that looks like someone "converted" this way.

Either that or weld up some pea shooters with elbows in them, I've seen that done before.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

Back in the 70s there were pea shooters that had a bend in them to clear the apron and bumper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

I always cut the lower part of the lower pan off with a skinny wheel. That way it doesn't look stupid. And a bug muffler doesn't need new holes. You can also mount the bumper brackets first and then put the bumper on to it to see if you need to space the brackets a little to make things fit....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

stevo96 wrote:
tried to bend them, it ain't happenin!

Take one to a muffler shop and have them make you two short bends that will shoot down and miss your apron. It will be louder without the stingers but will still be muffled.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Back in the 70s there were pea shooters that had a bend in them to clear the apron and bumper.

these?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2025769

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

Hmm, specialty tips to allow the installation of the wrong muffler? Me thinks those were to make a bug look kewl like all the Detroit bargain barges of the day.

Now then, if a cat daddio were to make an "s" bend in tips I'd see the bus crowd on its feet.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Bumper doesn't fit? Reply with quote

It's kind of hard to see but on my DC I used a pair of early bus exhaust tips. I had them on the bus with a stock bumper before I installed the Bice rear bumper. The turn down was perfect for both applications. They don't have baffles and sound pretty sporty. I eventually modified some bug tip interior baffles to work using some stainless steel wool which quieted down the exhaust tone just enough.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/575564.jpg

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: