Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

flywheel oil seal for a 1967 engine
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0k3t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: flywheel oil seal for a 1967 engine Reply with quote

I have a 1500 engine from a 1967 bug. The engine code indeed dates it to that year - H0626...

H0, H1 1967-1970 1500cc 44bhp DIN, 53HP SAE (only 1967 in USA, 67-70 elsewhere)

At any rate it looks like the flywheel oil seal is a little different that later models, I don't see any shims for one and the oil seal doesn't seem to go into the flywheel itself like you see for later models - it seems it slips over the crank then you put the flywheel on and torque it down. Is this correct? Can someone point in the right direction in order to get more info on this? The problem is I only have a manual for 1970 and up and this is a 67 so it appears there are some minor differences.

For an example see around 9:30 into this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdMLF4fm0_A

Mine doesn't seem to have that groove like he shows and it seems like the flywheel I have is deeper from the back that touches to engine to the part where the dowel pin holes are.

Thanks!
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel oil seal for a 1967 engine Reply with quote

Essentialy a 67 and a 70 1500 are the same with only minor detail changes.

That means you can use your 70 manual for flywheel seal replacement, the instructions will be the same.

As far as engine block, crank and flywheel seal, 67 will still be near identical in parts and procedure compared to late models up to 79, so yours should look no different in that respect.

If you want factory engine specifications, click above right on Technical tab, then look for and download the VW book "Without Guesswork"

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel oil seal for a 1967 engine Reply with quote

I watched that segment of the YouTube video, and (except for that short part where he shows an 8-hole crankshaft), that's how 1967 and newer O-ring, oil seal, crankshaft, should all look. Remember to oil the inner lip of the seal (and corresponding part of the flywheel) after the seal has been seated.

YOURS might be the strange one; post pictures of yours.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
r0k3t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: flywheel oil seal for a 1967 engine Reply with quote

So check this out, (sorry took a while) it turns out indeed I had a seal in there, it was just so perfectly fitted and colored that it wasn't till I shined a super bright LED on it and noticed that "wait! There is a removable seal there". Total first timer mistake.

As far as shims go reviewing pics I took during disassembly seems to show this engine wasn't assembled with them, is this possible that it just didn't need any? I ordered some and a tool to check the end play so I will know if it needs them now when my order arrives.

Thanks.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: flywheel oil seal for a 1967 engine Reply with quote

There should be at least three end play shims on the end of the crank BEFORE you install the flywheel seal. Get a new seal and remove the old one.
Install two shims and measure your end play. Take those results and subtract .004" and that's the thickness of the final shim that you need to install. Get all three in there and check your end play one last time. If it's right on at .004" pull the flywheel one last time and install your new seal.
Make sure that the outer edge of the seal is slightly below the case spigot. Just slightly. Lube it all up and install the flywheel. Torque to spec and call it a job well done.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: