Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravygrabber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

Own a small import shop and work on a lot of newer VW's and I had a 59 Bug back in the late 90's. Anyway I have a customer that has an 83 Vanagon and he wants to fix it for his kid so he can take it out of state for college. The van runs but has a lack of power and fouls a plug on one of the cylinders plus it's been sitting a bit. He did jump it and ran it up/down the block pretty recent so it's probably going to need work but it's not a complete resurrection.
He's pretty convinced he wants a new engine installed. Reman. engine whatever. I've never worked on this model so I'm not sure where to even go. Saw several online but not sure what companies are good or not. He also would like it to go a little bit faster. He was talking about a fuel injection back to carb swap. I'd rather just swap a reman engine in and address any other needs at the same time and keep the fuel injection. Where the kid is taking it it's almost sea level and we at at 3800-3900 ft. Doesn't make sense to me to change to carb.
I'm also going to have to check over the rest of the van and address the brakes, etc.. Basically make the van road worthy. He also mentioned trying to get the camping stuff going like the fridge, battery for the accessories.

From my limited research it looks like you can swap in a bigger engine like a 2.1L?

Any ideas before I start this adventure?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

A 2.1 WBX would be a nice bump up in power. Since you've worked on newer VWs, then perhaps an upgrade to an ABA inline engine from a Mk3 Golf/Jetta would also fit the bill. Both of those are probably the value leaders for engine upgrades, and given that the rest of the van will need attention, they make a lot of sense from a budget perspective.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

An 83 model is a different animal from an 83 1/2 model. The first is aircooled and the second is water cooled. Which one do you have?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

for shops I'll toss out HEadflow masters as a top tier shop.
http://www.headflowmasters.com/vw-longblocks.html

stay away from GEX
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

If it is an air cooled and owner wants to go to a single weber progressive carb, I don't suggest it.

Based on many years of Type II with Type IV boxer motors (EFI and carbed), the carb intake runners are too far away from the heads and cause all kinds of issues with poor throttle response. They drive horribly, ice up very easily in cold weather.

Easier than fuel injection, well, maybe. But, it will never run right.
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

there are heated manifolds and factory single carbs
Factory installed , find one

my 84 has a factory carb set up on run it on a 2.1 l wasser,

how do you know the eng shot. low compression , low oil pressure ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gravygrabber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

It's definitely injected with some early Bosch setup. I assumed it was watercooled. Did they come injected with air cooled engines?

What's wrong with GEX btw? Seems like good prices. I don't know if this customer will pony up 4K with a reman on this one but the GEX price seems reasonable.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

gravygrabber wrote:
It's definitely injected with some early Bosch setup. I assumed it was watercooled. Did they come injected with air cooled engines?

What's wrong with GEX btw? Seems like good prices. I don't know if this customer will pony up 4K with a reman on this one but the GEX price seems reasonable.

The 80-83 Vanagons had a 2.0L Type 4 aircooled engine, but in the middle of the 83 model year VW moved over to a 1.9L watercooled boxer engine. Then in '86 they went to a 2.1L watercooled boxer engine.

If this is not a US spec model there would have been other engines available as well.

GEX will reuse any and all parts they can, whether they match or not or if they are at the wear limit. Their headwork is dismal and is often little more than a media blasting.
chrissev2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

"I assumed it was watercooled. Did they come injected with air cooled engines?"

It's a VW. Never assume anything. Yes they came air cooled. You can tell the difference easily by looking at the front. Air cooled has no lower front grille. Water cooled does.

Here's some pics of a 1981 air cooled: http://momentcar.com/volkswagen/1981/volkswagen-vanagon/

There is little point in trying to convert an air cooled Vanagon to water.

Also if it is an 83 and it is water cooled likely the cooling pipes will be leaking unless they have been replaced as the 83s used the metal pipes and they will be 34 years old.
1978 Volkswagen super beetle convertible
1992 Eurovan 2.5 5spd westfalia
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

stay clear of waterboxer inc they are scumbags
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

call Adrian at head flow masters ... I am sure he will build you a motor that is enough...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

Make sure the rods are hand-planked. Attention to detail counts.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Make sure the rods are hand-planked. Attention to detail counts.

OP, just so you know that is a joke reference to waterboxer inc..... Wink

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
gravygrabber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

Appreciate the replies. Need something already built and ready to throw in I'm afraid. Need to get it done before end of July. Hoping there is company that has a reman. ready to ship and it will be as painless as possible. I already have a Porsche 911 I have to do soon and I only have one lift.
gravygrabber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

Also just confirmed with pics from the owner it's definitely air cooled and fuel injected so that's probably a plus for me. Should be easier to get done less to worry about. Need a good engine supply company at this point to get one coming so I can start on it.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

what about an AVP ?

http://www.avp-worldwide.com/engines.htm

Looks like Busdepot.com (one of our excellent vendors) may also sell an AVP air cooled rebuilt:

http://www.busdepot.com/071100627

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

You want good quality head work, headwork will make or break these engines. Good headwork and a mild cam upgrade and you should have an engine that will run well for many thousands of miles.
gravygrabber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

Still looking
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Need a little help with a 83 vanagon engine replacement Reply with quote

As Vanagon Nut mentioned, a good affordable option would be an AVP rebuilt. They’re a reputable rebuilder, and being in CA, can probably ship to you in Montana relatively quickly.

“All heads get new seats, guides, and new exhaust valves, reground on the intake valves. Then all heads are step cut to take the unleaded, lower quality fuel of today.”

You’d no doubt want to talk with them, but it looks like #630 is the engine you’d want.
http://www.avp-worldwide.com/engines.htm

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: