Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 horn button question
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenboat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

Hello I have the wire up the steering shaft and it works. If I touch the wire to the steering nut the horn will sound. So... my question is
Would you all be so kind as to tell me or show me or link me to what i need to purchase to complete this horn?
I simply do not desire to purchase the wrong thing and have to return it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you need is a complete horn button, and be sure the little screw that holds the wire into the center of the button is present. Before you install, be sure to clean the paint off the inside edge of the metal steering wheel housing so the spring on the perimeter of the horn button makes good contact with the metal.

Shop for a button that is appropriate style for your model bus.
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need this.
https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D415%2D669%2DIV

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

Sorry to dig this up, but after buying the horn button we just connect the wire up to the middle of the horn button screw, and just pop the whole horn button in?

What's holding it in place?

I have a similar issue where I don't have a horn button.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

Yes, secure the wire to the center very well. The wire should have a solder dollop or a little brass ferrule.

On the perimeter of the base of the horn button assembly there should be little protruding fat wire things that are springy. Those should make contact with your steering wheel when you push it into place and hold it there. You can push down on the outer ring parts so your horn doesn't honk the whole time if you want.
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

See the copper wire? That is what Barryl is talking about. It ground the horn wire to the body. When you puss the button the red wire makes contact with a large brass disk that is in contact with that copper wire and completes the circuit making the horn go "Beep".

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by Fish on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

Better picture with the large contact disk inside the button.

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

Okay got it on the button.

So I just buy an aftermarket button, crimp the wires using a butt connector and just slide the button into the steering wheel hole?

What's actually holding the button in place? Friction?

And removal would be trying to pry it out using the indentation on the edge?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

lightice wrote:

So I just buy an aftermarket button, crimp the wires using a butt connector and just slide the button into the steering wheel hole?

That's the bottom on the horn button you see in the pics. The top is curved that you press.

In the middle of the bottom of the button there is a threaded grub screw thatholds the wire internally of the copper holed pipe you see. You don't need to crimp on anything, just twist the wire, insert into the hole, do up the grub screw and press the button down into the steering wheel with the copper earth rod that sticks out the side in 1st. It has tension against it so it holds the button in place.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

Disclaimer: With a stock VW button it's held in there very firmly with the tension band- it's where it wants to be. Clean the paint off your wheel's' hub. Remember you need to establish a ground.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 horn button question Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
lightice wrote:

That's the bottom on the horn button you see in the pics. The top is curved that you press.

In the middle of the bottom of the button there is a threaded grub screw thatholds the wire internally of the copper holed pipe you see. You don't need to crimp on anything, just twist the wire, insert into the hole, do up the grub screw and press the button down into the steering wheel with the copper earth rod that sticks out the side in 1st. It has tension against it so it holds the button in place.

Okay got it, I see, the metal spring at the side keeps it in place.
Thank you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: