Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Building Tools
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

I have pretty much every building/blueprinting tool I need for T1s, but very little for T4. I have a 2.7 liter that's going together, and I need to know what's out there to buy, and what I need to make.

I don't have a complete block to be able to check btw...

So far, I've made myself a new deck height tool. I saw a pic of some production ones, but had no info on where to buy it, so I just made a high quality one myself. I know I need a lexan chamber cc tool to go with my burette. I can make that easily.

What about the distributor drive? Does the T1 tool remove/install it?

Piston ring compressor? Any favored brands for those? I'm sure I could find one, since American V8s have 4"+.

Relief piston remover? Will my T1 one work?

I think my regular imput shaft tool will work, since I'm doing a T1 conversion flywheel?

Valve spring installer/remover. Don't think my T1 bench mounted one will work. Anybody have a link to a homemade T4 tool? Or one to purchase?

Anything else I'm missing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

Type 4 building tools, hmmm...

Type 1:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Type 2:

Type 3:

What is a Type 4 building?

Wink
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

The Forth photo would be an Armored Fort.

As for tools there are many T-4 guys here like Ray and myself, but for the real T-4 bees nest go to the T-4 fourm. There you will find a lot of european T-4 guys that have built real monster size engines that are built to last daily drivers.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1

I go back and forth for my info. between the two NG's a lot of experience at both sites.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

There are not really any type 4 engine specific tools I can think of.

Believe it or not.....this valve spring tool with a little tweaking to the metal valve support blocks in the combustion chamber.....works very well on type 4 heads.

If you only have worked on a small amount of type 1 engines for yourself and not as a business.....you probably do not own a dial bore gauge. This usually is not a problem for the build an engine every 5 years person.....because 90% just have the crank bore align bored and buy the next oversized bearing up.

On type 4 work....because its more rare to need align bore unless its a hard driven/thrashed bus motor....and....quality in main bearings has been up and down.....you really need to have a dial bore gauge to make sure everything is correct before and after selecting bearings.

For occasional usage.....you can get away with a chinese dial bore gauge set......but.....buy a GOOD dial indicator to use with it. The contact points on the Chinese dial bore sets are not hard enough for daily use if you are in the engine building business....but....for building the occasional engine.....with an accurate gauge installed in the tool.....they are just as accurate.

Ring compressors? I only work on my own stuff lately....so I only mess with 1 size and its first oversize. If you only work on 1 or 2 sizes....buy a tapered bore, cone type ring compressor if you can. I have one that fits 90mm for 1.7L work. It was either Powerhouse brand or ARP. The ARP are the best.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

For the valve spring compressor I use my T1 unit, but I carve out the combustion chamber block out off a piece of hard wood. As for a ring compressor, if you use the pliers type, you can make the band out of 18 gauge sheet metal.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
For the valve spring compressor I use my T1 unit, but I carve out the combustion chamber block out off a piece of hard wood. As for a ring compressor, if you use the pliers type, you can make the band out of 18 gauge sheet metal.

Laughing ....thanks for reminding me....I forgot to put the link in my post!

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-000-129

I hqve this valve spring compressor with minor mods. Works great. Ray
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

There are special tools for Type IV? Laughing

My C-clamp style spring compressor works on any head. I have a corrugated sytle adjustable piston rings compressor - it will do any size.

My dial indicator really does not care what engine it is to check endplay.

A torque wrench is a torque wrench.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

Ray, thanks. I have two dial bore gauges for both the mains and cam bores. I use them for the rod big ends and cylinders. I have a Jegs rod bolt stretch gauge. Oh, two depth gauge sets, telespoing bore gauges, Ohaus scales, a magnetic dial indicator, yadayada... I have all the inside mics I need too. I fully blueprint T1 engines.

My Schley gear puller does T4 gear sets. I realized my cam degreeing tool's hub won't work with the T4 crank snout, so I'll need to machine a new one.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

Here's the deck height tool: It costs $30 in parts. Still need to make the spacers, but not sure how far the studs stick past the barrels on average.

The pistons and cylinders will cost about $1200, so I'll use the best ring compressor I can afford.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

I have built several, didn't need any different tools.

At home for spring compressor I use a WOOD angle plate, on drill press.
It works for most types heads, unless heavily canted valves.

Why need pullers for oil valves and dist drive? are they rusted solid?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

I will add though that I did machine a puller yoke for the crank gears -they are 411 mains for way larger than Type I. Other than this difference, all same tools.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

For installing/removing. It'll likely go together and come apart a couple times during mock-ups. I use my T1 drive gear remover to install the drive as well. Same with the pressure valve remover.
overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

Are you sure it's a type 4 your working on ?. The type 4 oil presser relief valve is a lot smaller then a type 1.

A type 1 tool would never work
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
For installing/removing. It'll likely go together and come apart a couple times during mock-ups. I use my T1 drive gear remover to install the drive as well. Same with the pressure valve remover.

If you feel the valve getting stuck might be a problem.....I have an idea.
Last type-4 I built I made a new plunger for it and threaded the bottom 12x1.5.
The last guy used some form of "tool" to expand the bottom of the oil plunger out, and that damaged the bore. Don't know if that was screwdriver or "special tool", whatever it was, it can't happen again now. Razz
USE A MAGNET
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

Just kidding.... I know your not a hack
But it is a true story!
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

overdrive wrote:
Are you sure it's a type 4 your working on ?. The type 4 oil presser relief valve is a lot smaller then a type 1.

A type 1 tool would never work

You obviously read something wrong. I have type 1 tools, and when I use type 1 tools ON MY TYPE 1 ENGINES, I use both the pressure relief piston installer to both remove and install the pistons. The same goes with my distributor drive tool. I use it to both remove and install my distributor drive.
overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:

Hmm
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

That was in response to Modok's question about the need to use pullers. I was stating that I not only use the tools to pull, but to install as well.

So it seems like I need to make a tool for the pressure piston. Preferrably something permanent, as I plan on building more T4/914s.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

To install the plunger/s, just drop that sucker in the hole ...followed by the springs. Laughing

The bore should be clean the plunger just slides in there. NO TOOL.

For tightening the plunger cover, I use an screwdriver-type impact tool w/ large flat tip on it. This is the only way I found to keep it tight against the washer.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Building Tools Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
That was in response to Modok's question about the need to use pullers. I was stating that I not only use the tools to pull, but to install as well.

So it seems like I need to make a tool for the pressure piston. Preferrably something permanent, as I plan on building more T4/914s.

I have never had to use a tool for removal or for install of either the oil pressure relief or control piston on a type 4.

Possibly because I mainly work on 411/412 and 914 engines......so I touch very few engines that have been......"bus'd"...... Laughing

Agreed......installing the relief piston.....just drop it in the bore after you check for burrs. The pressure control piston.....just put the spring in the back and push in the cap. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: