Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

what's with mechanics ditching vital hardware when servicing VW CV joints?
those plates & funky washers under the bolts looked important to me the
first time I ever took an axle off a bus......
On the upside, you bus should drive even tighter once the tweaked tie rod(s)
are tossed. They owe you that & one alignment.
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

here are the photos of the damage. I went to the mechanic today to look at it. He ordered new tie rods and is going to do an alignment as well as replaced the axles, changed the oil, is replacing some bushings and replaced some gaskets.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Franklinstein wrote:

Sorry about the axle and extra stress when camping, seeing the before pics of a brand new axle installed (albeit without backing plates) makes me really curious to see if the damage was the bolts snapping or loosening. Are you using the same mechanic to fix the current damage and defend you against the towing company? What parts did they use? Did they use lock washers even? To what extent is the axle job mechanic responsible as a professional if he/she did not do the job right?

Please post pics of the engine compartment and engine, these folks will see probems you don't know you will encounter yet! They are that good!

And if you have not changed your fuel lines yet do it first. Avoid the standard lecture here and avoid the hassle of a roadside barbeque. We want to see that bus rolling not broiling!

The fuel lines were just changed before I got it about three weeks ago. Someone also replaced the axles before I got it, so it's not the same mechanic. I'm going to text the guy I got it from to let him know they didn't tighten the bolts so my axles had to be replaced, I know he has several other buses and I don't want him to have the same thing happen as a result of his mechanic. I'll post pictures of the engine when I get it home, my mechanic looked it over and replaced a few gaskets and said other than that, it looked pretty good. People on here have been so helpful and I appreciate it so much. I'm so new to this, I've wanted a vw bus since I was a little kid and saw one at a car show. I started reading forums on here a year before getting one so i knew what i was getting into with these. I'm so thankful for everyone's help and advice Very Happy
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Those tie rods are completely...... done. Did someone try to jack the car with them?
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Those tie rods are completely...... done. Did someone try to jack the car with them?

Someone on Bay Pride on facebook who is a tow truck driver said that it looks like they used a j hook to winch it on the tie rods. I'm not great with towing lingo but that seems like a good possibility.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

completely agree.
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Just a heads up for people near Detroit, NEVER use Shatila service center/auto clinic/towing. They are terrible people and do not know how to tow a vehicle properly.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Clean the CV's up and find out what brand they are. I wouldn't toss a set of fairly new Lobros, but would clean them up and relube them. You obviously need new bolts, it typically cost about as much to buy the bolts separate as it does to buy boots that come with bolts. You want the best so that you can torque the crap out of them and not have them stretch and then work there way out.

Can't see which head style your existing bolts have, but you want triple square heads and not Allen socket heads.
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Clean the CV's up and find out what brand they are. I wouldn't toss a set of fairly new Lobros, but would clean them up and relube them. You obviously need new bolts, it typically cost about as much to buy the bolts separate as it does to buy boots that come with bolts. You want the best so that you can torque the crap out of them and not have them stretch and then work there way out.

Can't see which head style your existing bolts have, but you want triple square heads and not Allen socket heads.

My mechanic just put new ones on there, he's worked on VW's his whole life and I trust that he torqued them properly this time.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

and they should be rechecked within 100-150miles.
like they recommend on alloy wheels when changed. for different but similar reasons.
then should be all good.

Chloem1207 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

My mechanic just put new ones on there, he's worked on VW's his whole life and I trust that he torqued them properly this time.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
and they should be rechecked within 100-150miles.
like they recommend on alloy wheels when changed. for different but similar reasons.
then should be all good.

Chloem1207 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Thank you! I'll be sure to do that to avoid issues with this in the future! As I said in an earlier post, I really appreciate all the help and advice I'm getting from the community on here. This is my first VW and I'm still learning. You guys are making this so much easier and I'm forever grateful to everyone on this site Smile
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Chloem1207 wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
Chloem1207 wrote:
I have emergency bus repair money saved up.

Use some of it to buy an engine seal, and the heater parts. Looks like it has/had a BA6 heater.

I'm in the process of trying to get new seals for everything on the bus, I'll start with the engine one now though. Are the heater parts absolutely essential to the vehicle functioning properly?

No the heater parts aren't essential, but you do want to keep air flowing through the heat exchangers or you can damage the exchangers. The missing flapper valves are dump valves, they allow close to unrestricted flow of air through the heat exchangers.

Ill look into it, it would be nice to have that all sorted out before it gets cold. I'll push it up on my list of repairs Smile Thank you for your help
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Hmmm. Aren't the tie rods bent the wrong way? I was expecting bends towards the the ground, but those are bent back. One explanation could be the Bus was pinned to the flat bed pulling back though, but that would be unusual.

Your mechanic owes you the rework on the CVs for leaving off the fasteners and not advising you on the retorque need, but that relationship is yours to manage of course.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Dealing with the towing company may not be worth the aggravation, especially since the new tie rods don't cost all that much. Don't know which agency might oversee towing companies where you are at, but filing a complaint with them might be the way to go. A complaint to the BBB might help others as well.
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Dealing with the towing company may not be worth the aggravation, especially since the new tie rods don't cost all that much. Don't know which agency might oversee towing companies where you are at, but filing a complaint with them might be the way to go. A complaint to the BBB might help others as well.

Since I did this through my insurance/roadside assistance, they're dealing with the tow company on my behalf now. I filed a complaint and gave some local VW groups a heads up so they know who to avoid. A few people have suggested I file a police report but I think that might be a bit far.
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Hmmm. Aren't the tie rods bent the wrong way? I was expecting bends towards the the ground, but those are bent back. One explanation could be the Bus was pinned to the flat bed pulling back though, but that would be unusual.

Your mechanic owes you the rework on the CVs for leaving off the fasteners and not advising you on the retorque need, but that relationship is yours to manage of course.

The original work was done before I purchased the bus, so unfortunately I cant do much there aside from letting the guy I brought it from know what happened.

I believe the driver actually did say he had to put my bus on there backwards due to how it was parked at the campground, they claim to have a video of it on the truck so if that's true I guess we'll see what they did to it.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

You are also missing the front sway bar. Fortunately most of the things you need are available from fellow Leakoiler Chuck Spence.

An example of his work...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

I got picture turned in my head. The Bus was chained forward as is normal around the tie rods and tightening the chains would bend them exactly as pictured. In my book, somewhere between a preponderance of evidence and beyond a reasonable doubt. I'll bet the metal scratches on the tie rods fit the chain link size exactly and are still shiny too.

Very Happy
Chloem1207
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I got picture turned in my head. The Bus was chained forward as is normal around the tie rods and tightening the chains would bend them exactly as pictured. In my book, somewhere between a preponderance of evidence and beyond a reasonable doubt. I'll bet the metal scratches on the tie rods fit the chain link size exactly and are still shiny too.

Very Happy

I hadn't even noticed the metal scratches, I will point them out to my insurance company when I hear from them Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Canton Michigan Possible clutch problem Broke down while camping Reply with quote

If no one has mentioned it yet, your front shock bushings are totally shot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: