Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/???
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

Hello guys I was just thinking and getting ready to replace my floor on my 64-11 window and I was wondering , if the first original floor design rusted so easily. why are we going to so much trouble cutting welding grinding making sure fitment is perfect ! to put the same floor in that was designed bad? and retain water in The recessed areas ,and sutch...a lot of us are handing these buses down to our little ones . Are we setting them up for failure with a faulty floor design ??? has anyone out there seen a company come up with a better VW bus floor grid pattern or design to direct water more efficiently? I know me myself with minimal effort could come up with a much better design ! But if I do that am I compromising originality in the pattern of the floor ? I almost don't care ! As long as the floor does a great job of a back you waiting water when need be ! I guess in short, why are we replacing a poorly designed floor with the same poorly designed floor ! Confused If we're going to do that floor replacement .. Confused Confused . and it's not an easy task .... We should make it account !! am I wrong ? Are we doing it because that's all that is available to us ?? And and if that's true is there someway to make the floor out of a rust proof material? Can we make it out of galvanized metal ? or aluminum ? Or stainless ? Please tell me what you think !!! Very Happy I would love to hear your thoughts guys!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

the front floors rust for a few reasons:

water and dirt from driver and passenger's shoes

water from leaking window seals, door seals and overhead seals, not to mention emblem seals

dirt,salt and water splashing up underneath as its the first part of the 'car' .

unless you live in the midwest or northeast and plan on driving your bus year round, I would use the stock part, it won't rust that fast if your bus doesn't leak and you properly prep and paint the new floor piece.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

Original Floors Pros:
1) its easily available
2) no modifications required for fitment
3) Quality steel is used and easily welded into the rest of the bus
4) originality is maintained
5) has proper rigidity for safety measures (per 1960 standards...)

Original Floors Cons:
1) Retains water

Creating New Floor Pros:
1) Could be made of a rust proof material
2) Could be more rigid for safety precautions

Creating New Floors Cons:
1) You have to fabricate the new floors yourself
2) Once made you have to manage to attach two different materials. (Panel bond?, potentially eliminating any safety benefits and maybe causing a safety hazard)
3) Loses originality
4) Unknown quality. (unless you happen have a working prototype)
5) Did I mention you have to fabricate a floor from scratch? and find the material you want to use? ... not cheap or easy. Don't mess up.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
the front floors rust for a few reasons:

....water from leaking window seals, door seals and overhead seals,...

If your windshields seals leak, you will get water on the floor if the bus is out in the rain.
If you are missing the cab door panels, ditto.

So, install cab door panels and replace your seals when they leak.
These don't tend to be daily drivers left outside as much as they were in the 60s, 70s, 80s. I think the replacement floor will last longer than the original, unless you park it out in the rain with leaky seals, or start driving it on salted roads.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

It would be far simpler and less expensive plus you retain original floor patterns to just protect it better.
http://masterseriesct.com/
Plus...
Quote:
I think the replacement floor will last longer than the original, unless you park it out in the rain with leaky seals, or start driving it on salted roads.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

Those ribs are perfectly designed to add strength where needed and allow complete drainage of the dip primer as the body rides the overhead trolley in and out of the tank. As Clara says fix the leaks and take care of it and it'll never be an issue. Park it outdoors in the rain with leaky seals, salt and a crapload of sand and gravel under the mat for years on end and it'll look like the old one pretty soon. No need for the fancy paint either, just keep it clean and dry. If you still lay awake at night worrying about your floor drill a small hole at the rear of each rib to let any accidental water drain away before painting.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

50 more years or so should pass before you need to worry about it again-fret not. It will be converted to run with a Mr. Fusion by then anyway and rust will be the least of your troubles.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

But what if your Mr. Fusion has an unforseen side effect of causing chronic electrolysis?, cars are 3/4 plastic now, add on systems like that will be designed with a classic/vintage Prius or Scion in mind.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
xcoldgrimjimx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

WoW GUYS!! Awesome feedback!! Thank you! The main reason I was asking is because I have a plastic vacuum mold machine. And I have a surplus of carbon fiber! I bought from a going out of business type deal about body shop, where they made fenders, hoods, spoilers you get it... I originally bought all this to make carbon fiber bike frames and parts but anyway ....I have a complete floor from WBW and the mold machine is big enough to fit the the entire front floor ! Very Happy and so one day I was looking at the machine and looking at my many spools of carbon fiber and BOOOM! I am seriously thinking of pressing a exact copy of the WBW FLOOR! BUT..with miner TWEEK'S for water drainage and ease of clean up if you have a spill or whatever Wink but how awesome would that be! With the vacuum press and the carbon fiber epoxy resin it would get in all the nooks and crannies and it would mold a exact copy ! I would probably use 3 or 4 layers..I really want your guys opinion!!! Should I just go for it!? What do you guys think of a carbon fiber front floor!??? All I have to do is slather the carbon fiber epoxy resin and put the carbon fiber down and turn the vacuum press on step on the pedal and BLAM! CARBON FIBER FRONT FLOOR! I really want to do this , but would you guys see any foreseeable drawbacks? Wear and tear , functionality ,there might be an issue with holding the cab strength integrity but,one things for sure NO RUST! LOL Very Happy let me know if you think I should just press one out .. or don't even bother ?? All in all it would definitely be interesting to SEE! Laughing
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

I thought we just did so we could one day believe to get our money out of our "investments"???
I don't think the usage destroys the metal, its the decades forgotten and neglected in barns, fields, and forest that have done a number on our projects.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

The front floor doesn't look like much but it adds quite a bit to the front structure once welded in. Attaching the new floor with the same strength as the steel one would be difficult. And using screws or rivets will likely cause a greater rust problem in the surrounding steel.

It will likely lower the value of the bus compared to a new steel floor... but maybe not a problem if it can be easily removed and a steel one welded in.

I vote no.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

I mean, if I happened to have the stuff to make a carbon fiber floorboard just laying around I'd be tempted to do it just for the hell of it after a couple beers, but I don't really see it as a good alternative to a welded in steel panel. There isn't really a practical point, especially not in terms of corrosion resistance for all the reasons listed above. I'd be concerned with how it would attach and how that would affect the structural integrity of the bus.

It might appeal to someone building a modern German Look style custom who wants whatever they can get in carbon fiber, but for the restoration/preservation crowd it doesn't seem very appealing.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

xcoldgrimjimx wrote:
The main reason I was asking is because I have a plastic vacuum mold machine. And I have a surplus of carbon fiber!

Make some carbon fiber Westy bowls. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
novetti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

The seals in this vehicle are terrible. They leaked from day one.
If your vehicle doesn't leak when you wash it, it doesn't mean it is complete waterproof (it is a different case when driving at speed).

When in normal use, driving at any speed over 60 km/h in rain, the water flowing along the body / seal lines via capillary action it invariably would find its way through seals. The front door window channel seals and the vent seal are very difficult to make them watertight. From factory those seals didn't had any mastic joining them between the steel and rubber. To complete caulk those in place requires a few 100' grams of compound and good skill to prevent making a mess of it.
I think I saw a service bulletin for caulking the front windscreens, but nothing on the front door seals (correct me if I am wrong).

The front doors are the main infiltration point, along with the windshield seals and the overhead vent flap.

When this vehicles were new I doubt the owners would lift the front rubber mat to inspect / dry underneath. Combining that with normal dust or soil carried by shoes plus moisture it created a perfect environment for corrosion.

A Carbon fiber floor would be interesting to see if you can make one, but I don't think is a feasible enterprise for commercial purposes rather than curiosity.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

I've often thought that an entire carbon fiber bus with even a 36 hp engine would haul ass because of the excellent power to weight ratio... Cool Use Dreamliner technology to make a bus.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Jbknown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

You could always POR-15 it if your that scurrred! Cool
cru62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

Here's what you need to make to get your feet wet-
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I gave it to a mr.motorhead for his Bonneville Bus which was just what it needed for a record run. Wink
Depending on the price, I might be interested. I like weird stuff that makes people shake their heads. Will panel adhesive bond to CF?

Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Floor replacement .... with the same floor design BUT WHY :/??? Reply with quote

Carbon fiber decklids are where it's at Cool

Doesn't CF shatter when crashed?, the floor is a critical part of the structure and bending as it crumples likely plays a large part in keeping the emblem from being pushed up flat against the seat bulkhead in a crash, if it lets go suddenly like a potato chip it's not going to be much help. Not that a bus is in any way "crashworthy", but why add to the fragility?

How big is the machine?, would it do a small Westfalia pop top?

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: