Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noreception
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

Hi guys.

My VW was in a hit and run last week and the body is pretty badly damaged. I don't want to run it through my insurance so I am considering changing out the badly damaged panels myself. Does anyone have any experience with changing panels? Is it hard?

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry for the delay, my GF took the car for the week and it was impossible to get her to take some photos.

Clearly the hood needs to be replaced.

I am not certain if it would be economical to repair the passenger fender and light or if I should just get a new fender and light.

I am also uncertain if it would be economical to repair the rear fender.

and the last one is like the metal has been peeled. I feel like that a repair.

Does anyone have any experience on changing panel? Is it difficult?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by noreception on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

Depends.... whats wrong with it? Sad to here about your bug... Pictures will help, you can upload them to this site. It may be too much work to fix it if it's really bad, but the pictures will help determine if you should fix it.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
Depends.... whats wrong with it? Sad to here about your bug... Pictures will help, you can upload them to this site. It may be too much work to fix it if it's really bad, but the pictures will help determine if you should fix it.

X2. Pics will help determine if your car is rebuildable.
Sorry that your car got H&R. That sucks!

Listen to 67ctbug. He's dealing with many body issues. Plus he's a pretty sharp guy.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
noreception
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

Ill take clean photos tomorow.

Thank you for the help.
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Plus he's a pretty sharp guy.
Thank you, I appreciate that.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

noreception wrote:
Hi guys.

My VW was in a hit and run last week and the body is pretty badly damaged. I don't want to run it through my insurance so I am considering changing out the badly damaged panels myself. Does anyone have any experience with changing panels? Is it hard?

Thanks.

Definitely provide pictures to get the most accurate feedback on your specific car, and the extent of the damage.

To answer- yes. Many of the restorations of these cars involve the replacement of large and small sections of the body. The Bentley Manual offers very detailed technical advice on exactly that, so you might see if you can get your hands on one if you choose to proceed.

Do check out the Body and Paint forum here on thesamba. Use varied search terms, like 'panel replacement' 'welding' 'apron' , etc... and you will find hours of reading from people here who took the time to document this type of work in words and pictures.

These repairs are very doable if you have the skills and prepare well. But you need to assess if the car is still worth the effort it will take, and if you have sufficient skill and hardware to commit.

Good luck!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

Very well said panicman.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

The Bentley has photos and instructions on replacing body panels.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noreception
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:

What do you think? Salvageable?
noreception
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
noreception wrote:
Hi guys.

Thanks.

Definitely provide pictures to get the most accurate feedback on your specific car, and the extent of the damage.

To answer- yes. Many of the restorations of these cars involve the replacement of large and small sections of the body. The Bentley Manual offers very detailed technical advice on exactly that, so you might see if you can get your hands on one if you choose to proceed.

Do check out the Body and Paint forum here on thesamba. Use varied search terms, like 'panel replacement' 'welding' 'apron' , etc... and you will find hours of reading from people here who took the time to document this type of work in words and pictures.

These repairs are very doable if you have the skills and prepare well. But you need to assess if the car is still worth the effort it will take, and if you have sufficient skill and hardware to commit.

Good luck!

Hey man.

Thanks for the words of encouragement - I uploaded some photos.. what do you think?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing body panels on a 1967 Bug. Reply with quote

You pay for insurance so why not use it? Get an estimate, take the money, and do the work yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: