Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear shifter shaft bearing?!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blacksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Rear shifter shaft bearing?! Reply with quote

Hey guys. Having trouble getting my Scat shifter into reverse. It never gets it into gear. I checked the bushing up front at the shifter mount and everything is nice and tight. So I opened the inspection plate at the transmission tunnel and found this rubber joint. The rubber is all cracked and it wobbles around a bit. Now I got the shaft off the transmission shaft but can't seem to get this rubber coupler?! Off the shifter shaft. Does not appear to be any set screws holding it in place. Any suggestions? Also anyone know where to but another one?

What if I bolt the 2 halves together so it no longer flexes at the rubber joint?!?!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear shifter shaft bearing?! Reply with quote

Hard to tell in the photo, but it looks like the screw is missing. Is that a threaded hole "up" in your photo? May be rusted together. Try a rust penetrant and then a pair of channel locks to twist them apart.
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shifter shaft bearing?! Reply with quote

Looks like the other bolt has been snapped off....
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
blacksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shifter shaft bearing?! Reply with quote

Sooooo looks like I'll just bolt the two pieces together then.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shifter shaft bearing?! Reply with quote

Just replace the shift coupler.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111711175B

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
blacksc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rear shifter shaft bearing?! Reply with quote

Bought a new coupler and bolts and that solved the problem. Was pain in butt to remove the old one off the shift shaft end. I ended up cutting it into two pieces to get it off. Now I have reverse!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: