Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Check
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

What you remove doesnt mean its correct. I just worked on a bus that had the inside of the one rear drum loaded with bearing grease and crud because they had the wrong seal.....Can't trust the PO or their mechanic all the time.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark.konney@alliedprintin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

I'm learning that now Andk5591!

I've got the buggy back together and will drive it for a while and then give it a quick check.

As it stands right now, the brakes feel much better, so I'm on the right track...I hope!

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Here is another piece of advice...How it was assembled is not always correct.
Learned this on my first ACVW (our buggy)...Had tranny oil leak in one rear drum. I installed the new seal kit exactly as the old one was. After 3 tries and it still leaked, discovered the that the large O-ring was installed wrong by the PO.... So I had also been installing it wrong Rolling Eyes
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

To fix your leak, you need the full seal kit which also has gaskets, a new washer and O-rings.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here are some techniques to prevent leaks (I've personally tested each fail, they are easy to do and will cause a leak);

The large O-ring must be slid over the bearing after the bearing is in place. Don't just try to put the O-ring inside the chamfer on the cover

The chamfer on the i.d. of the #10 spacer faces the washer which came in the kit. The small O-ring fits in the chamfer.

The #5 washer is reused so save it when you disassemble.

To keep the lip seal from rolling under when its installed, first install the #11 seal seal in the #12 cover, then then slide the spacer into the #11 seal, checking it doesn't roll under. Then slide them all as a unit onto the axle.

Only use one of the gaskets per axle, the second gasket is for the bus.

Install the slinger

The axle nut must be torqued to spec and the cotter pin installed, or it will leak. The Torque-Meister/Torque Buddy tool enables you to torque with just a 1/2" torque wrench

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

If you are not using the later cover (part 12) that has a built in oil slinger you don't use any paper gaskets. The provided image shows all the parts required for a full stock install. It used to be hard to get a good oil deflector (part 14) and some replacement drums are not drilled for it, so that part is often missing (they are missing on my Buggy, but present on my Bug.)
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
If you are not using the later cover (part 12) that has a built in oil slinger you don't use any paper gaskets. The provided image shows all the parts required for a full stock install. It used to be hard to get a good oil deflector (part 14) and some replacement drums are not drilled for it, so that part is often missing (they are missing on my Buggy, but present on my Bug.)

Yes, I was in error, with the oil slinger, a gasket isn't required. However the new O-rings in the kit are.
mark.konney@alliedprintin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

Morning!

I see so many things that are wrong with my axles now. There were not any O rings large or small that I remember, I could be wrong.... Also the outer spacer is in backwards.

I'll have to order the kits and rebuild these axles again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
prkid424
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Check Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
To fix your leak, you need the full seal kit which also has gaskets, a new washer and O-rings.

Here are some techniques to prevent leaks (I've personally tested each fail, they are easy to do and will cause a leak);

The large O-ring must be slid over the bearing after the bearing is in place. Don't just try to put the O-ring inside the chamfer on the cover

The chamfer on the i.d. of the #10 spacer faces the washer which came in the kit. The small O-ring fits in the chamfer.

The #5 washer is reused so save it when you disassemble.

To keep the lip seal from rolling under when its installed, first install the #11 seal seal in the #12 cover, then then slide the spacer into the #11 seal, checking it doesn't roll under. Then slide them all as a unit onto the axle.

Only use one of the gaskets per axle, the second gasket is for the bus.

Install the slinger

The axle nut must be torqued to spec and the cotter pin installed, or it will leak. The Torque-Meister/Torque Buddy tool enables you to torque with just a 1/2" torque wrench

funny enough I finished a rear brake job on my buggy and followed this exact same process but I hadn't read this post. It just made sense to do it this way so nothing was crushed or torn. So far no leaks.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: