Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ford 2.3T buggy build
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

Finally got started on putting together my 2.3T build on my buggy. Figured I could start a thread with pics and info for anyone curious, or doing a similar project. Here is where my buggy sits right now:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine is on! if you look close you can see I had to actually extend the rear "cage" of the buggy to accommodate the larger engine. I used some 2" OD, 3/16 wall steel tubing. this let me slip it over the 1.5" buggy tubing nicely, and still be super strong. the engine fits in perfectly. the power steering reservoir comes close to the cage, but doesnt touch, so thats good. You can also see my front mounted battery.

I also made an engine support to help with the extra weight:

This will help take some of the weight instead of it all relying on the 4 bolts holding it to the trans.

I used an autostick starter on this because it supposedly has 0.1kW more power than the manual trans beetle starter. it turns the engine over no problem!

Will hopefully update the thread as I go. might be slow as I am ordering some parts here and there as I get my paychecks every 2 weeks.

Thanks for looking!
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

I also have an RCI aluminum fuel cell that will be going between the engine and seats, above the trans. I got it for a really good deal, and holds 15 gallons, instead of the smaller "keg" style 8 gallon tanks.
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

little update:

got my fuel cell in and some fittings on. 255lph fuel pump is on the way and should be here next week. the cell is an RCI 2162A and fits perfectly!

it will utilize all 3/8" fuel hose. cant wait until next pay day, tax returns, and (hopefully) company bonus!
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

Have an update! got the fuel cell lines ran, fuel pump on, radiator on, shocks on, seats in, bowden tube in, finished the intake tract to the turbo, and some other small things.

You can see here my radiator mounting. Yes I know it is not ideal, but with what I was working with, it will work for now. there will be plenty of airflow, and if I get hit in the rear, then ill worry about modifying the location, lol. it was just a cheap honda civic radiator.

you can also see I made a custom idler pulley to replace the power steering pump.

I have some more parts waiting to go in such as keyed ignition switch, fuse block, relays, custom switch panel that is still being made, and basically all the rest of the electrical. I still have to order the rear disc brake conversion and engine wiring harness, those are the 2 main things, and then a tachometer. and of course some other odds and ends.
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

got some more work done. put a 3rd brake/reverse light on the back of the upper hoop, got the pedals in, clutch cable in and shortened, and the rear disc brake conversion done. Hopefully get exhaust work done later today, then I think I can start rigging up my electrical system. one of my brake lines wound up being too short, so I ordered another brake line. once I get that, I can bleed the brakes. the wheels are going to a buddy's shop so i can get the tires dismounted, and then I can get the wheels sandblasted and painted, then get all new tires.

P.S. - newer style pedals wont work on this type of pedal box! only the older type (pre-66) pedals will work without any modification.
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

got some good work done last night. steering wheel is on, exhaust is done, throttle cable is done (just need a throttle return spring on the TB), and new front lug studs are on. the wheels are getting sandblasted and then will be painted and getting new tires. Just wish the torsion tubes were more narrow so I could fit a bigger tire, but thats a future possibility when I have some extra funds.

for the throttle cable, I actually used a nissan 240sx trunk release cable that I had lying around. worked great, may just need a little lubricating.

i want to save all the wiring for last, but it is definitely getting close to that time. im still waiting on a custom switch panel a friend is making me, and need to make a center console.
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

got started on the wiring this weekend, and finished up basically all of it

Also got the wheels sandblasted and re-painted. getting new tires later today!

yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

mounted the ECU in a 50 cal ammo box behind the passenger seat. fits great and protects the computer from the elements perfectly

and an overall picture. still need to make a license plate holder and waiting for a small brake line (one of the ones I ordered wound up being too short).

yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

last night i put the wheels with new tires on and the seatbelts on, and with that the buggy is basically done!! just waiting on a barometric pressure sensor for the engine, need to set the TPS and distributor, and it should be good to go! cant wait to get it out of the shop!!

if anyone is wondering, the rear tire is a 31x10.5, and it barely clears the torsion tube. I think there is about 3/4" or 1" to spare!
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

this thing is awesome, so fun to drive! the only downside is it can get very squirreley on the street...likes to sway a lot. thinking about converting back to regular beetle type steering (pitman arm) instead of the random rack and pinion currently installed.

pallen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

Your running the same radiator I am, looks like its hard mounted in your pics. I had mine hard mounted as well and a few people commented they have cracked them doing that.

I converted over to these,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F7E9OU6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ecotec Street Rail Build > http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8146270#8146270
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

I don't like the position of your radiator, I some body should bump you it will crush it and you can't get a push from a friend if you have problems out in the boonies. I like the car though!

Casey
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

been a while since I checked this thread, but thanks for the input guys.

I actually wound up getting a bigger radiator and mounted it higher and at an angle to get more airflow, and I also have some of those vibration isolators on the way to my house right now. This is the current radiator setup:

It fits a 1966 Mustang. A friend that works at an auto parts store just happened to know a 66 mustang radiator was "about" the size I needed to fit between the rear down tubes, and he was right! I also made the shroud myself. Fits great, and cools way better than the civic radiator.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

Nice buggy!

Looks like a lot of work went into your build....is it street legal or strictly off road?
Cool
yitzac1990
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

its street legal!

funny story...as soon as I "finished" it i took it for a short drive around the neighborhood, and of course I drove right by a cop, who stopped me. All he asked was "that thing got a license?" I showed him the license plate and he just said "cool, that thing is awesome, have a nice day!"
Third
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2.3T buggy build Reply with quote

yitzac1990 wrote:
its street legal!

funny story...as soon as I "finished" it i took it for a short drive around the neighborhood, and of course I drove right by a cop, who stopped me. All he asked was "that thing got a license?" I showed him the license plate and he just said "cool, that thing is awesome, have a nice day!"

Heh, nice.

It is awesome !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: