Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Hey gang.. when searching the forum here I didn't come up with any posts at all mentioning our new rig..
The wife and I picked up a 2002 Winnebago Vista last week.. it's sorta the Rialta's ugly cousin.. similar specs but a lot more space. Full-time bathroom, and I can actually stand up straight in it! (I'm 6'1").

A picture of one popped up on the Facebook Rialta group about a month ago.. and that was the 1st time myself or a bunch of other people have ever heard of one of these things.

Found this one in Rockford Il with only 28,000 miles. Just having some generator troubles (Onan Micolite 2.8kw) but everything else seems sound.

Picture gallery can be viewed here:
https://goo.gl/photos/HgFHUWV7aAaVfFWp8

The Subagon Syncro will be on it's way out soon.. hope to concentrate on restoring my '64 SO-33 after this.

Cheers,
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

I just discovered one of these nearby our house a few weeks ago. I was surprised too -- had never seen one in person!

Congrats on the purchase! Looks roomy.

I like the whimsy of your pillows... and the, uhm, "giant garden art" you bring to your campsites. Wink

Thanks for sharing!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

You must be from WI (as clearly shown from the fine New Glarus beer in your photos).
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Nah! He's a fellow St. Louisan! Perhaps the trip was northward though.

Interesting vehicle- very roomy and luxurious looking. Not sure how well it would fit in my garage though! Razz

I noticed the electronic gauges in one of your pics, which I would like to learn more about. Are you willing to describe the details? I am particularly interested in the type of system and what you are able to monitor/manipulate through it.

Thanks for sharing!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

mkscott2 wrote:
Nah! He's a fellow St. Louisan! Perhaps the trip was northward though.

Interesting vehicle- very roomy and luxurious looking. Not sure how well it would fit in my garage though! Razz

I noticed the electronic gauges in one of your pics, which I would like to learn more about. Are you willing to describe the details? I am particularly interested in the type of system and what you are able to monitor/manipulate through it.

Thanks for sharing!!!

yep, lifelong St. Louisan.. We picked up the rig in Rockford then headed north to the Dells for the weekend. I was extremely happy to get a case of the Spotted Cow while up there!

The gauges are the "TorquePro" android app, with my phone paired to a bluetooth OBDII adaptor you can find very cheaply on Amazon. The display is fully customizable but what you can read out depends on what kind of sensors are available from your ECU.
I haven't really messed with the profile for the Vista too much yet.. I mostly wanted to see my trans temps... which turn out to be insanely high. External cooler has already been ordered..

here's another example from my Syncro gallery.. I had this one paired to a tablet after the Subi swap
https://goo.gl/photos/w4arB35PKMD8H7sg9

you can plot data over a trip map as well..
https://goo.gl/photos/2hCaefkG2t6wHrQ17
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Nice. I think I would sell the house if I scored one of these.

Love the pillows and the hound - great colors!!
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Seems that there are several of us from St. Louis here then!

Quote:
The gauges are the "TorquePro" android app, with my phone paired to a bluetooth OBDII adaptor you can find very cheaply on Amazon. The display is fully customizable but what you can read out depends on what kind of sensors are available from your ECU.
I haven't really messed with the profile for the Vista too much yet.. I mostly wanted to see my trans temps...

That's exactly what I want it for! I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that the coding for the Torque was not up to pulling trans temps from our vans... so I ended up buying the ScangaugeII. If you are willing to tell us exactly how you got Torque to read trans temps... I'll be taking my Scangauge back asap!!!

Man, I love getting to learn from others smarter than me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Sweet camper (and such low mileage!) - congrats. Plus, you may be the first to have dual awning mode too.

Damn, my weekender feels so cramped now.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

mkscott2 wrote:

That's exactly what I want it for! I was under the (perhaps wrong) impression that the coding for the Torque was not up to pulling trans temps from our vans... so I ended up buying the ScangaugeII. If you are willing to tell us exactly how you got Torque to read trans temps... I'll be taking my Scangauge back asap!!!

well... are you ready?
wait for it..

I went in, did "add display".. scrolled down to where it said "transmission temp" and clicked on that.

Wink
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

There is a 2002 Vista on Ebay right now out of Brooklyn, NY with only 53,000 miles for anyone interested.
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:
There is a 2002 Vista on Ebay right now out of Brooklyn, NY with only 53,000 miles for anyone interested.
Brooklyn? That just seems like the most odd place for something like that. It would be like finding a 1 owner 2003 EVC with 40K on the clock located in Wellston, MO. Just seems so out of place.
mkscott2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

JJ- are you saying that there is an '03 EVC with 40k in Wellston?!? If so... I'm sending my parents to pick it up!!!! Razz
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

mkscott2 wrote:
JJ- are you saying that there is an '03 EVC with 40k in Wellston?!? If so... I'm sending my parents to pick it up!!!! Razz

It's there. Just tell them to cruise around and they will find it. While they are there they can go to Taylors Junk Yard and then go find the old Shapiro Metal Supply location which was in an old bank building and then Kirn Race Motors (which Don can't be there any more). As for the hotbed of VW stuff, it was Dex down on the Rock Road as he had three warehouses full of VW stuff. Too bad he died 30 years ago.
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

jjvincent wrote:
While they are there they can go to Taylors Junk Yard and then go find the old Shapiro Metal Supply location which was in an old bank building and then Kirn Race Motors (which Don can't be there any more). As for the hotbed of VW stuff, it was Dex down on the Rock Road as he had three warehouses full of VW stuff. Too bad he died 30 years ago.

Wow. Taylors.. I spent way too much of my early 20's in that place.
And every time when trying to leave.. "Ya know who invented the Volkswagen, dontcha??" (only acceptable answer: Hitler)
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

wildenbeast wrote:

Link? I can't seem to find it
jjvincent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
jjvincent wrote:
While they are there they can go to Taylors Junk Yard and then go find the old Shapiro Metal Supply location which was in an old bank building and then Kirn Race Motors (which Don can't be there any more). As for the hotbed of VW stuff, it was Dex down on the Rock Road as he had three warehouses full of VW stuff. Too bad he died 30 years ago.

Wow. Taylors.. I spent way too much of my early 20's in that place.
And every time when trying to leave.. "Ya know who invented the Volkswagen, dontcha??" (only acceptable answer: Hitler)

Old man Taylor used to drag race and that's how I knew him. The stories were pretty funny. They had to put people in cars and watch the customers because over on one side there a railroad and people would pull off a starter or alternator and throw it over the wall. Then leave and go pick up their free part.

One day when I was there, two guys walked up with a windshield and he told them $20. One got mad and told him that it's only worth $15 and that's all he paying. So the old man came out with a hammer and busted the windshield. Then told him, now it's $15. More than once he would threaten people with a gun when they were trying to pull some sort of shenanigan. For anyone who knows the area, you got to be that way.
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Volkswagen-EuroVan-/1...mp;vxp=mtr

stl_stadtroller wrote:
wildenbeast wrote:

Link? I can't seem to find it

BUGSTUFF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

Soooo, are we going to see it at BNNTA this year? Wink

Northeast IL VW Association - www.nivaclub.org
www.facebook.com/nivaclub
Volkswagen Club of America - www.vwclub.org
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

BUGSTUFF wrote:
Soooo, are we going to see it at BNNTA this year? Wink

Since the $yncro is tore up for rust repairs and I haven't been working on it at all (because it's like, 105 outside and all) I'd say chances are pretty good.
owen a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 T4 / Winnebago Vista Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
Hey gang.. when searching the forum here I didn't come up with any posts at all mentioning our new rig..
The wife and I picked up a 2002 Winnebago Vista last week.. it's sorta the Rialta's ugly cousin.. similar specs but a lot more space. Full-time bathroom, and I can actually stand up straight in it! (I'm 6'1").

A picture of one popped up on the Facebook Rialta group about a month ago.. and that was the 1st time myself or a bunch of other people have ever heard of one of these things.

Found this one in Rockford Il with only 28,000 miles. Just having some generator troubles (Onan Micolite 2.8kw) but everything else seems sound.

Picture gallery can be viewed here:
https://goo.gl/photos/HgFHUWV7aAaVfFWp8

The Subagon Syncro will be on it's way out soon.. hope to concentrate on restoring my '64 SO-33 after this.

Cheers,
Brian

Hello, and hope you're still here and in possession of the Vista! We just bought one and I'm trying to figure out what kind of gas mileage we're getting. It's either really bad (7!) which is no great tragedy except for long gaps between gas stations, or the gauge is funky, or different pumps work differently at different station for their shutoff point (which I've seen with my Golf...) . After years of van and popup life it sure is nice to have all the amenities. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: