Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adventures In Carburetor
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

I had to remove my carburetor, for, well matters. When I reinstalled it, My Ghia now engages when in gear and I let go of the clutch... without giving it Gas. I am most certain I did not retrace my steps perfectly when reinstalling the carburetor.

I know this is a newbie question, I bought this car to learn, so be gentle.

On a side note, I have been searching for replacement carburetor's, as per the original issue of why I had to remove it. And for the life of me I can not find one that has the proper hookups. My Ghia has a hose coming off the engine pipe, to a filter or something, and then into a blatter on the front of the carburetor... I have searched the web high and low, and can not find any Ghia's that have this in all the images. One place said it was something extra for the emissions? I have attached two pictures to reference my insanity, but the bigger question is what do I do with this hose if I can not find a carburetor with this connection?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mmghia on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

I don't know about anyone else, but those photos don't appear in my browser. Maybe you can pick up some things from this thread.....
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6
.... which covers the perennial topic of posting photos on this site.

Wishing you luck on the Carb Adventure.
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mmghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

I have updated the images, thank you for your guidance.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

In pic #2, the silver thing...guessing here, could that be an altitude adjuster?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trelms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

Pic 2 is an altitude adjuster. I don't run one. If you need a carb search for tim at
http://www.volkzbitz.com
He has everything or he can redo yours. If you really need help I could meet up with you. Enjoy the cold weather today!! Thank god.
mmghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

trelms wrote:
Pic 2 is an altitude adjuster. I don't run one. If you need a carb search for tim at
He has everything or he can redo yours. If you really need help I could meet up with you. Enjoy the cold weather today!! Thank god.

I will look into that. Thank you for the lead.

Any idea on what I might have messed up to make my gas engage when letting off the clutch, even thought I am not touching the gas peddle?
mmghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

I appreciate the lead. Thank you. Glad to meet another Denver resident on here. I would love to get my carb working, was fussing with it more to see why it is is engaging without giving it gas.

Really would love to get it fixed so I can get it back on the road. Will PM if you have time next week!

trelms wrote:

sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

mmghia wrote:

Any idea on what I might have messed up to make my gas engage when letting off the clutch, even thought I am not touching the gas peddle?

Check your throttle cable connection and alignment. Either you hooked up the throttle cable too tight so that it is pulling the throttle cable even when the gas pedal (yes, not "peddle," which means to sell) is not depressed OR your throttle cable tube has popped out of the housing near the firewall/front tin and thus exerts pressure on your carb's throttle arm.
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

Also check to make sure your auto choke is working - the throttle stop screw should be on the top step when the engine cold starts, and as the engine warms up it should move down the steps. If you check VW-resource they explain how to check and set up the choke
mmghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. The choke is on the top notch at a cold start. The accelerator cable does not play a factor as I have disconnected it completely and it still happens.

The engine is much louder than it was prior to putting the carb back on.

To give some history. I had to remove the carb, and take apart as the throttle cable tube did pop out and get caught in the valves below.

I know I did something incorrect putting it back together. I might take it off again and to to diagnose.
Zack1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

Send your carb to Tim at Volkzbitz. The work he does is truly magic and his turn around time is great as well.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures In Carburetor Reply with quote

The silver device at the front of your Carb is a Throttle positioner and it works in conjunction with the silver device near the wheel well. That piece on the wheel well is just the adjuster for the Throttle positioner on the carb, the thing you call a "Blatter ". If working properly it will ease the throttle arm down when you decelerate, it is a smog item yes designed to reduce emissions. Crude and an early attempt at emissions control. It should plum from the base of the intake manifold to the remote device and then back out and into the ported nipple on the right.
The vacuum advance on the distributor should have 2 hoses coming from it. One on the top should go the side of the Carb and the one on the back should go to the port sticking out of the front of the Carb. It's been a long time since I messed with these but I believe that is correct.
Do you maybe have a Vacuum leak? Was it running properly before you pulled it off.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: