Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to the Samba
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

We didn't get as far as we wanted to last weekend (4-9/4-10), due to getting 4 inches of snow on Sunday. But, I did find these pics (they were on my camera), so I figured I'd post them up. Thought Steve might like to see them, and help get him motivated. Wink
Rear cut off pics
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Checking the fit

64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

And these are from this past weekend (it was nice out, but his daily driver needed a little work, so we didn't get as far as we would have liked to.
RS
LS

The mounts are basically a piece of angle iron, with a block added to make up the needed thicknes, and another block added to box it into the bus bar (making it stronger).
The last 3 are of us building some drain boxes for the hinge area. Basically trying to emulate what VW did on a Notch. Very Happy The right is what we started with, while the left side is completed and welded in place. All that side needs, is a drain hole added thru the side wall to drain into the air boxes. We tried to keep them as small as we could, as we still want some useable trunk space. Next weekend we'll finish up the right box. We also added a strip across the top to hold the seal in place, along with a thicker bar for a future removeable Carbon Fiber roof. Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

I thought I'd post up some pics and some words from the last couple of days (holiday weekend). If you are paying attention, in Steve's (Clatter's) thread I posted up some pics of my SquareVert getting parted out. My son has be on the recieving end of some of the parts, and you can see we've pulled the IRS unit out, as it's going in, along with the T-4 engine. Here's those pics, along with Rob installing the header, and doing a mock up of the muffler (a SuperTrapp).
rear sub

Then we dug out the front fenders I got from Russ years ago, as we're planning on doing a rebuild on them. But for now, we're leaving them alone, as he's got a car show to attend, and we're doing minimal work to get it to attend. As it is, I've got to make up a section of wiring harness, as he wants to move it out from under the dash. Plus we've still gotta pull the windshield out and sandblast some rust (both where it was clipped, and the cowl vent section). Anyway here's the pics of the fender mock up, as this IS the first time they've ever been on this car.

Also, for those sharp eyed viewer's that's the TA on the rotisserie in the background of some of the pics. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
LOW N SLOW66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

that windshield is begging to be chopped about 2 inches Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

LOW N' SLOW66 wrote:
that windshield is begging to be chopped about 2 inches Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

No plans on chopping it, as he's going to build a carbon fiber roof for it. He wants to do a "Targa top" set up.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

Here's some updated pics. I thought I had more, but it must have been Rob that was taking all of the pics.

The inside was completely gutted, and here it's getting the rust that came up over the last few years blasted.

Here's the custom exhaust he built for it. It bolts to the header and exits out the stock hole. It's all 2 1/2 in pipping. Surprised

You have to drop the rear of the engine to get it to fit in place. It does clear the cooling boot, and the "rear" bus tin (under the boot).

Here's a pic of it installed. It clears the rear apron (barely), as it's a tight fit.

Most of it's back together in this shot. What you don't see is the moved into the front trunk fuse box, and all of the assorted wiring changes that go with it. Still need to do the steering column end of the wiring, as it got changed too, but we've run out of time to get it up and working at this time.

And this is where we stopped earlier today. We did get it fired off. Damn that thing is loud, like open header loud. Twisted Evil But that's what he thought he wanted. We also ran into some of Clatter's luck too, in that the new battery he bought yesterday wasn't charged, so it was basically dead. And then we had a condensor fail, leaving us with a "no spark" condition. Got that taken care of, so it's making spark now. But it does run. Still need to install the windshield and bleed the rear brakes. Over the next couple of days, I'll see about getting things dialed in on the motor and set the clutch a little better.
Well that gets things caught up for now. Enjoy the couple of pics I posted.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

Well, Clatter's luck continued yesterday (tuesday), as we dialed the engine in a little closer, but it was still loud as hell, and we found a couple of oil leaks. So today became "find out WTF is going on" day. Turned out 1 leak was a valve cover, and the other leak was a push rod tube. So first order was to tackel the VC, and I found that the gasket had slipped out of position in the corner, causing the leak. I swapped it out with 1 that had been glued up the night before. While I was in there, I took a better look at the HE to head connection, and saw that the copper "O" ring had moved. So I pulled the HE on that side as well. Got to looking at it, and found that the end had been "modified", as in cut off. No wonder it was so loud, as it wasn't even seated into the head. Rolling Eyes Now my son later tells me that when he bought them, the seller told him that they had been "modified", but he thought he meant the other end (muffler end). I didn't install them when they were put on, so I didn't I know they had been cut down. So, I dug out the 411 HE's and installed them, then we did an engine fire off to see IF it was any quieter. It was, but still not enough. So, I dig out an NOS 411 muffler (a heavy bastard made in W.Germany), and Rob installed that, while I pulled the push rod tubes on the other head that were leaking (due to rust), and swapped them for a set from the 2.0L engine I have here. Got it back together, and fired it up. Sound is almost perfect, and there's no oil leaks. Cool Next, Sue and I installed the windshield to finish off my end of the job. He then proceeded to clean up the dirt that's been on the car for months.
Thursday, I'm going to run the valves, as I want to make sure it's good to go, then he can finish up whatever it is he wants done before Friday's Cruise night (the reason for the mad dash to get it up and running).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

Ran the valves today, and found 2 a little tighter than I'd like. But for the most part they weren't too far off. Now they're set, and good to go.

today was bleed the brakes day, only we needed to replace the main front to rear line first, as it was leaking onto the floor. That took a little time to do, then we bled the rear brakes. So now it's basically ready to go. Thank Gawd. He did spend some time polishing up some of the chrome though, as his time was short, as he had to work this evening (he works the night shift).
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New to the Samba Reply with quote

Well, all went well for it's maiden voyage (other than the starter acting up). Now that the rush to get it there is over, we can go in and adjust some of the wiring (like for the steering column change), and some other bits. He wants to do some more dialing in of the engine though, as it seems like 1 of the carbs is leading the other. I think he wants to pull the engine tin off too, as he wanted to have them powder coated, so that'll be more work to do for him. He also wants to fix the floor pan rust, as it has a couple of spots that are thru along the edges.
Next friday we're supposed to go to John J's and get some carbon fiber material, so he can get started on building his roof section for it. That'll let me get a chance to see in person how far John has gotten on the Sled. Cool
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: