Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

Who is coming to Volkstock this year? This is going to be a huge event this year over at Lake Pleasant Arizona November 10th and 11th 2017. Check out the website and book your spot ASAP because it looks like they are filling up very quickly.

http://www.volkstock.com

Update:
Photos posted to this site here
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=Volkstock+AZ+2017

More photos
EZ Gruv wrote:
Photos are up!

Facebook users can check them out here. Please TAG yourselves & your friends, and Share!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.16452669...31f2ddcb16

Non-Facebook folks can check them out here: https://www.ericarnoldphotography.com/volkstock-2017/

Thanks!
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

Wonder how many will be attending the event, especially the swap meet vendors. Maybe the promoter might give some of us travelers an idea so its worth the while to attend.
The weather looks like it will be cooperating.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

I'm planning to attend Saturday, with my '71 Convertible.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
stede
Samba Member

Location: Buckeye,AZ by way of El Sereno Rifa, Sur Califas 13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

Doesn't sound to interesting this year as the past events.
ib-bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

We just decided to make the trip up there from Temecula , CA , leaving on Friday after work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

stede says it may not interesting.....my take is to travel a couple hundred miles, pay the entrance fee. If it is a bust then will not attend next year. Previous years have been worthy of a note. If I had a travel trailer would make it a weekend. Looking to see what it will be.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

stede wrote:

Stede - I think EVERYTHING is more interesting than Buckeye, AZ which you list as your location !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
stede
Samba Member

Location: Buckeye,AZ by way of El Sereno Rifa, Sur Califas 13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

Obviously from the all the car you have mentioned you must be as boring as Buckeye^^^
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

stede wrote:
Obviously from the all the car you have mentioned you must be as boring as Buckeye^^^

Great comeback, now I'm worried about a mental match !

stede wrote:

That would be "too", not "to".
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

Lots of nice VWs at Volkstock, more convertibles than in past years, more Ghias too. Great scenic location too.

The negative was the $20 admission charge (I did the car show at $25), they needed a more reasonable daily admission price, heard lots of grumbling about that $20 charge per person. So far fewer walk-ins than in past years, feel the parts vendors, swappers, food vendors all got shortchanged by this. Imagine a husband, wife, 2 kids having to pay $80 !!! Maybe kids were not charged, don't know.

Noticed that a different VW bus show in Tempe next week has a $3 admission, $20 is way too high for Volkstock, especially with its 2017 30 miles from Phoenix location.

Just my thoughts. And during my working career I was paid a lot of money for my thoughts.

Last edited by Cusser on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

It appeared there was a good turnout today for this show. Lot's of VW's and people in attendance. I think it was an attractive show for the VW folks who wanted to go for the weekend and camp. I saw lots of buses that were clearly set up for the weekend camp and it was an ideal location for it.

The entry price was $15 each which is what the Bug-o-rama charges or was it $20.00 at Bug-o-rama? It wasn't a deal breaker and I hope the kiddo's did get in free. The past Volkstock shows had no entry fee but I understand they had to rent this area at the lake.

I was disappointed with the swap meet. It was about 1/2 the size of what you see at the bug-o-rama. There were good deals to be had but I wish there was more sellers.

Overall I thought the show was good and I hope it was successful for the promoters.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

After attending and being in the car show side of the event today some of my observations are; lots of vehicles participating in the show. Ran into a few VW people from the past and new acquaintances. Made it a nice day cruise for some, over nighter for others. The walking traffic was very low; most of the walk around traffic were participants. Could be because of the walk in entry fee, thinking of a family of four. Well eighty bucks, there goes lunch from the food vendors. The swap meet, did make a purchase, honestly expected more swap meet activity. The venue is nice if you planned on a weekend stay camping. Hope there is another to attend.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
The entry price was $15 each

The Volkstock "postcard" for the event and their website/facebook stated $20 general admission ($25 to show), maybe in reality once there it was $20 plus $10 for a second person, maybe kids were free, but that wasn't stated anywhere in advance.

Just trying to help Volkstock succeed, but my 3 semesters of calculus tell me that if half the admission price doubles the number of attendees, that's better for vendors, food sellers, swappers, and for the VW future !
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

The Volkstock "postcard" for the event and their website/facebook stated $20 general admission ($25 to show), maybe in reality once there it was $20 plus $10 for a second person, maybe kids were free, but that wasn't stated anywhere in advance.

Just trying to help Volkstock succeed, but my 3 semesters of calculus tell me that if half the admission price doubles the number of attendees, that's better for vendors, food sellers, swappers, and for the VW future !

I thought it was $20 each entry fee as well. When we walked to the gate, we were asked if we were local and we said yes. It was then $15 each. I wasn't complaining. Wink

To your point, the $20 dollar fee could of kept folks away from going to the show.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I thought it was $20 each entry fee as well. When we walked to the gate, we were asked if we were local and we said yes. It was then $15 each. I wasn't complaining. Wink

It says $20 on the tickets. We were charged $20 each.

I doubt there were many people there that were not local.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

It says $20 on the tickets. We were charged $20 each.

I doubt there were many people there that were not local.

I know, right? I didn't get it either but handed her $30 dollars.

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

I do hope that the promoters do read this and glean some of our comments or even PM us for more input.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

I went out on Saturday morning, it was $25 to get in with your car so I guess it was $5 to enter the show, not bad in my opinion. The promoter wasn't ready for the rush of cars that showed up so getting parked to their liking was a little hectic. The car show had a very good turn out, lots of awards & lots of old friends, I haven't been to a VW event in at least 25 years, I was pleasantly surprised. I hope this event catches on, it was a great venue looking over the lake. The swap meet was small, in the dirt and somewhat disconnected from the show area, I think it would be better if it was somehow an extension of the show / vendor area, even if it's still in the dirt.
Here's a few pics.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As an added bonus, I walked away with a Volkstock plaque as Doug's Choice for my unrestored 80's Cal Looker

Funkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

Hello everyone.
I am one of the promoters for Volkstock. First off, we want to say thank you for coming out to the show for those that made it. We got some real good feedback all over social media about this event and our choice to put this out at the lake. So again thank you all for making this a special event.

Lake Pleasant will most likely be Volkstock's permanent home. We are in talks currently to lock down dates for the next couple years.

Pricing is always subject to change but going forward it will most likely stay the same as this year which is the following.

Show Cars: $25 (Includes 1 General Admission)
General Admission: $20
Swap $40: (Includes 1 General Admission)
Vendors $40: - $300 (Includes General Admission Tickets)
Dry Camping: $20 per night
Premium Camping: $40 per night

Purchasing your tickets in advance online is the way to go. Everyone received a yellow event pass which bypasses the $6 fee charged by Lake Pleasant Park. This will be available to purchase at Volkstock.com up until a week before the show in order for us to mail out tickets in time. The locals from Pleasant Harbor RV Park get a special price ($15) which holds about 500 full timers.

Any of you that have suggestions on how we can improve please PM me so we can discuss it for our next show in 2018. We are always listening!

Thanks,
Nathaniel Fraley

Last edited by Funkey on Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
AZOffTheWall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Volkstock! November 10th and 11th 2017, AZ Reply with quote

Funkey, thanks for putting this on, everyone I talked to was having fun, I personally loved the venue and the vibe. I'm looking forward to next year already.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: