Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 shift rod
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yammi450
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

I'm in the process of putting together a 1966 beetle, and I need a shift rod. I've heard that a 1966 has a special bend. Does anybody know if a 65 and 67 are the same?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

"Dec. 1965 (66 year) on cars from chassis # 116 412 701 the shift rod has a slotted expanding sleeve with a screw and securing cup."
So no a 65 and early 66 shift rod would not be correct.
AFAIK there is no special bend in a 66 shift rod. They're all bent to clear the hand brake lever mechanism.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

The thing is, the "interim" shift coupler fits the shift rod the same as late "final" version.

Also that particular running change is one of those that was "intermittent" and beyond the date of "From Here On... This Change Is In Effect" but for some time before that it was hit or miss..

But yes, no out of the ordinary "bend" in the rod.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yammi450
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

Does anybody have a picture so I can see what it looks like?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

You mean, what does the shift rod look like? Sorry, the last time I had mine out in my Baja (61 body, 66 pan), alas, I took no photos. All it needs to do is dip down and be clear of the emergency brake bits.

Now... the part number of the shift rod changed only after they changed from the round to the first "interim" square shift coupler, then again when they moved the shifter back a little and went to a non-curved shift lever for model year 1968.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But the chassis number of that change is... hard to pin down, it was an intermittent running change and what the VW parts book above states does not match what other sources, like VW's own Workshop Manuals and Progressive Refinements say...

However, to elaborate on what I called the "interim" shift coupler above, VW started using it during model year 1964, and would have needed a different shift rod, since the mounting is entirely different for the coupler. (and that couple mounting uses the same size hole in the end of shift rod as the "final" version of that coupler required)

Eventually, a few years back, I replaced that "interim" one in my Baja, for a good German new-style coupler that I got from WW.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
yammi450
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

So if I'm understanding correctly 65,66 and 67 shift rods were all the same length and bend all with a square shaped coupler. But during those years there were two different square couplers. One with a pin and clip and one with a screw. But either those can be used.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

Use this coupling for your 66.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=311711211

Good Luck.

yammi450
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.
67rustavenger where do you get your data from? I know there's a lot on the Samba but you seem to know more than the internet can supply.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 shift rod Reply with quote

it's kind of weird hearing someone else being asked that question... Twisted Evil

Now regarding that link to Wolfsburg West... I'd not looked up that part there in many years, I guess they ran out of the nice German couplers they were selling 9 years ago when I last bought one from them. Crying or Very sad I've seen aftermarket ones vary wildly in quality but I'm sure WW picked the best of the crap crop for what they carry now. It is cheaper though.

from my email invoice back in 2008:

1 311711211 GEAR SHIFT ROD COUPLING, secures gearshift rod to transmission, 1964 (1964 Bug, starting at chassis# 5911561) -1979 Bug, 1968-1979 Bus, German $26.00

and while their image of the one they sell now looks to have a blurry VW/Audi logo on it, it's not the same as the one I got back then.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: