Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How bad does my heater core look
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

If you don't have the money, don't sweat continuing to run your present core. Neither of the hose fittings are white with condensate and much of your core doesn't get air flow across it so will have close to zero build up. Heater cores only are used sparingly compared to the radiator and are much slower to build up deposits two start with. If your core was leaking the nasty buildup from the leaking coolant would have been obvious.

On my own rigs on autopsy, my own radiator cores show they have had little buildup even after 300K miles, they would still have been working at close to 100% of design.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

vino de vano wrote:
the pic of your flaps sealing are a little fuzzy. It's important to use the right foam for a good seal. I went with a truck bed to camper shell foam tape. Just a thought. Lucky you to have such a great grandma. Tough call on replace core or not. I just rinsed mine out and put it back in and am hoping it lasts.

Hey! Thanks for commenting on that. I haven't 'sealed' the box up yet because I am waiting for some more parts for my dash project. What I use is "felt" insulation strips. I saw a member on here say they used that for the flaps. Are you saying the fuzzy is a bad thing? Please check out the photos at the bottom of this reply.

Wildthings wrote:
If you don't have the money, don't sweat continuing to run your present core. Heater cores only are used sparingly compared to the radiator and are much slower to build up deposits two start with.
On my own rigs on autopsy, my own radiator cores show they have had little buildup even after 300K miles, they would still have been working at close to 100% of design.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
150.00 now, or 6 hours of your life later....guess you have to decide what your time is worth....

think of it this way....people replace radiators for the same reason....it may look good, but your cooling sucks. this is nothing more than a small radiator...with even smaller passages inside.

Thanks everyone for the input. I am going to talk to my grandma and tell her about all of the suggestions. However, I haven't even replaced my radiator! I believe I will take my chances with the heater core. If it can last me 1 more year, then perfect. I will replace the heater core, brake booster, and the slaves.

Another question, do people normally seal their heater box back up? I saw a youtube video of someone using zip ties it keep it together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

The felt flappers look good - probably better than my "camper" tape... Rolling Eyes

The tape I used is very cushy - like memory foam - but seems subject to
temperature swings & doesn't compress as well at cooler temps. I like the
felt weatherstrip idea & will probably go that route..."next time"... Wink

- Dave

PS: Good looking resistor, too! Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

Replace the Radiator.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Hmm, surprising ol' Terry Kowabungowski or whatever isn't here flogging his gold-plated heater cores.

tencentlife wrote:
Please see my Vanagon engines and accessories at www.vanistan.com

tencentlife wrote:
Some good changes in the works here I'm real excited about, I'll be telling y'all about it pretty soon, now I gotta get to work and make it happen.

Meanwhile you made two posts that offered nothing but plugging your stuff. I understand you have a good reputation rebuilding the WBX. In that vein you would be hard pressed to find a better heater core than what Terry Kay offers. No plastic, copper core. It would probably last forever, certainly better than the OEM. Ever hear about Sargon's Law?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

There's no way I would take the dash out and not install a new core. I know $150 seems like a lot now to a college student, but you'll be kicking yourself later if you don't. I've learned many lessons over the years while working on a lot of different types of projects (not just cars), every time you skimp or take a shortcut, it comes back to bite you. Do it now and you won't regret it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: How bad does my heater core look Reply with quote

greebly wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
Hmm, surprising ol' Terry Kowabungowski or whatever isn't here flogging his gold-plated heater cores.

tencentlife wrote:
Please see my Vanagon engines and accessories at www.vanistan.com

tencentlife wrote:
Some good changes in the works here I'm real excited about, I'll be telling y'all about it pretty soon, now I gotta get to work and make it happen.

Meanwhile you made two posts that offered nothing but plugging your stuff. I understand you have a good reputation rebuilding the WBX. In that vein you would be hard pressed to find a better heater core than what Terry Kay offers. No plastic, copper core. It would probably last forever, certainly better than the OEM. Ever hear about Sargon's Law?

What does this have to do with aliens occupying human bodies while they build Androids?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: