Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600DP hesitation and misfiring
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigMcLargeHuge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

Hello all, I've been trying to sort out a hesitation and misfire issue in my '67 and haven't had much success. It has a 1600DP motor, with a 34PICT carb and 009 distributor with Pertronix ignition. At very light load, it seems to rev up just fine. When I get on the gas, it stumbles and misses. This started happening occasionally, and has gotten more and more pronounced.

I've owned this car for just a few months, and it's my first aircooled, so I'm not super familiar with these motors just yet. I've replaced the fuel filter (old one didn't look too bad, but figured it was a good place to start), checked all the ignition wires, drained a bit of fuel from the carb bowl to see if there was contamination. Everything there looks pretty good to me. I've also been running it only on ethanol-free fuel. I've checked the adjustment of the accelerator pump and it appears to be set up properly. With the air cleaner removed, you can hear and see it operate as you move the throttle linkage, though I haven't taken any of that stuff apart to measure fuel quantity.

It idles fine when started but after the stumble it will sometimes stall out when returning to idle. Seems like the problem starts at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. Any idea what could be happening here? I'd like to get her running properly for when we have friends in town next weekend!

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

BigMcLargeHuge wrote:
It has a 1600DP motor, with a 34PICT carb and 009 distributor with Pertronix ignition.

34PICT carb with an 009 distributor is a known mis-match
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

Your fix is a different distributor. What 34-3 is on it? Is it an original German Solex 34-3 or an aftermarket? Your two choices are an original Bosch 034 SVDA or an original DVDA Bosch distributor. What carb brand you have matters as they need to match either of those distributors.

DON'T waste your money buying any "new" SVDA as they are all poor quality Chinese copies. These threads are clogged regularly with people struggling with them.

Myself and others sell restored original Bosch distributors that will make your engine purr again.

If your carb is an original German Solex, it will have a "base flange number" stamped on the bottom of it or the back. Let us know the number is it is an original Solex.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigMcLargeHuge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I'd definitely say it's aftermarket. Looks much too new to be OE. There's a little metal tag attached at the top of the float chamber that says 113 129 031K, but that doesn't seem to narrow manufacturer down at all. There is no manufacturer branding anywhere that I can find.
BigMcLargeHuge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

Here's a photo, for what it's worth...

http://imgur.com/YtD89FF

Looks like a generic cheapie to me, but it was installed before I bought the car so no telling. The distributor on the car has a Bosch logo.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

It's a euromax carb. The name is on the float bowl facing the fan shroud.
Like Dan said. get a good dist that matches your carb. Or get a rebuilt carb and dist from a known good restorer.

The 009 even if it is a Bosch still won't play well with that carb. I have a Bosch 009 and it won't work on my spare engine with a Bocar 34 PICT 3.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

BigMcLargeHuge wrote:
Here's a photo, for what it's worth...

http://imgur.com/YtD89FF

Looks like a generic cheapie to me, but it was installed before I bought the car so no telling. The distributor on the car has a Bosch logo.

Yup, aftermarket carb for sure. It's your choice as to what you want to accomplish with your VW. If you really want to dial it in, you can buy a restored original German 34-3 from Volkzbitz.com as they are beautifully restored carbs from Tim. Then, match either a DVDA or SVDA original restored Bosch distributor to that carb. Tim will ask if you're running a DVDA or SVDA distributor. If you're not a purist, I'd get a Bosch 034 SVDA as they are fantastic distributors.

If that carb is working ok, buy a restored Bosch 034 distributor and install it. It may run ok with that after market carb.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BigMcLargeHuge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

The goal for the car is to be a fun driver, not necessarily to win Pebble Beach or anything. But at the same time, I don't want a cobbled-together bucket.

I'd rather not replace the carburetor if it's not necessary. I'm wondering if the temperature rise over the last couple of months has made the hesitation and misfire more and more noticeable. I've put 500 miles on the car before this issue became persistent. The first 400 miles or so, the hesitation did not occur at all, but those were in the cooler months of March and April. In May, it started happening more and more often. First I attributed it to a bad tank of fuel, but that's clearly not the case.

My only concern in going to the original 034 distributor is losing the electronic ignition. I've never owned anything with points (only old diesels and newer FI gassers) and all I know about them is that they can be a pain to keep working properly. Clearly, I need to swap out the distributor to something with a proper advance mechanism.

Thanks to all for the help so far, it's much appreciated and I'm learning a lot. I kept thinking I had a fuel issue on my hands, but incorrect spark advance makes a lot of sense.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

So find a reconditioned Bosch 034 and put the Petronics ignition in it.
Done deal!
But carry your old 009 with points and condenser ready for plug and play in the trunk of your car for when the electronics take a shit far from home.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600DP hesitation and misfiring Reply with quote

BigMcLargeHuge wrote:
The goal for the car is to be a fun driver, not necessarily to win Pebble Beach or anything. But at the same time, I don't want a cobbled-together bucket.

I'd rather not replace the carburetor if it's not necessary. I'm wondering if the temperature rise over the last couple of months has made the hesitation and misfire more and more noticeable. I've put 500 miles on the car before this issue became persistent. The first 400 miles or so, the hesitation did not occur at all, but those were in the cooler months of March and April. In May, it started happening more and more often. First I attributed it to a bad tank of fuel, but that's clearly not the case.

My only concern in going to the original 034 distributor is losing the electronic ignition. I've never owned anything with points (only old diesels and newer FI gassers) and all I know about them is that they can be a pain to keep working properly. Clearly, I need to swap out the distributor to something with a proper advance mechanism.

Thanks to all for the help so far, it's much appreciated and I'm learning a lot. I kept thinking I had a fuel issue on my hands, but incorrect spark advance makes a lot of sense.

If you have an original Bosch 034 distributor, I can go through it and service it. If it hasn't been apart since new, it need to be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated. You need to make sure the vacuum can works and holds vacuum as well.

What I've found is the BEST running stock VW's have their matching, restored carbs, distributors and fuel pumps that put out the correct fuel pressure of 3 PSI.

Lots of folks LOVE electronic ignition on their VW's. I know too many people who've had them fail, thus, I run NOS quality points and condensers and have no issues at all.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: