Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

I'm having trouble getting my engine started when cold. I have to hold the throttle open for 20-30 seconds and then it idles perfect. Its like the cold start function is not giving enough air, but once its a little warmed up it runs perfect. I've tried opening the idle screw a bunch and that will let it start cold, barely, but then it idles high.

I've replaced almost everything on the engine except my rusty old ICV. I have gone through the digifant protraining manual with no luck. But my sensors are all new anyways. Temp II, throttle switch, AFM, idle control unit and ECU have all been replaced along with fuel pump, water pump and all hoses.

Has anyone had a failing ICV keep from getting that extra air during cold start? It seems like its just missing that bit of extra air. After testing the new Temp II sensor I'm also wondering if a new ECU has given anyone problems?

Summer is here and I spend my days working on my syncro van instead of camping in it. If I need a new ICV so be it, but I can't keep throwing money at this van. Its getting depressing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

I should also add I replaced the hydraulic lifters and valve screws. I thought maybe a dead lifter(s) could cause the cold start issue. They're new and I pre-bled them but the van has been in my barn for several months. I've been test running it around the barn but that's about it. There is no lifter noise at start up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

There're continuity/resistance tests in the digifant manual taken incorporating the harness where the connector joins it to the computer...

If you have any problems with your wiring that might suss it out.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

I checked over all connections and wires and grounds. But I don't think that could cause my cold start issue. It runs really good once its a bit warm. I originally thought it had to be the temp II sensor but it corresponds with the graphs in the digifant manual. I did the tests per the manual, at the ECU harness connector.

This is why I'm worried my new ECU is acting up. More ECU ghosts... The temp II sensor wiring at the ECU shows proper values, but still no cold start.

Could someone clarify what is in control during cold start function? Does the ICV give air during cold start? The digifant manual doesn't give many tests for cold start problems. I'm sooo close to driving this van everywhere this summer.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

Then maybe it's a sticky ICV? Try cleaning that out with carb cleaner.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

Ok ill give that a try. When I originally had my fried idle control module give me problems I cleaned the ICV while looking for the issue. But I'll clean it again.
I was just unsure whether or not the ICV gives extra air during start up or is it just additional fuel?
I also have a new AFM so I'll test that also. Maybe throw the old one back on. Could a stiff AFM valve cause this cold start issue? Maybe it needs some break in time?
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

loki475 wrote:
Ok ill give that a try. When I originally had my fried idle control module give me problems I cleaned the ICV while looking for the issue. But I'll clean it again.
I was just unsure whether or not the ICV gives extra air during start up or is it just additional fuel?
I also have a new AFM so I'll test that also. Maybe throw the old one back on. Could a stiff AFM valve cause this cold start issue? Maybe it needs some break in time?

The icv allows extra air to pass, but it can only pass that unmetered air the CO bypass adjustment in the AFM let's in. So it could be just that that requires adjustment, and you shouldn't need to dig around in the AFM. Stick with the icv for now.
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

You could also remove the ICV but have it plugged in. Have someone turn the key on (but do not start) and watch the valve. It should pull back just a little ways. If it does nothing or slams all the way then you have an issue.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

jocoman wrote:
You could also remove the ICV but have it plugged in. Have someone turn the key on (but do not start) and watch the valve. It should pull back just a little ways. If it does nothing or slams all the way then you have an issue.

It'll vibrate if you just turn the key to ignition on. The valve opens and closes rapidly and the air supply varies according to the duty cycle.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

ok so the ICV does operate during cold start, I'll look into it more. I'm checking the temp 2 sensor one more time.
I also replaced the hall sensor during the motor overhaul so I just recently adjusted the timing (35* @ 3000rpm) when I finally got it running. It needed a slight tweak and now I'm wondering if this played a part. If the engine wasn't quite warm enough when I did the timing, what affect does that have on the setting.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

Temp 2 sensor is definitely ok. I just turned the key and the ICV doesn't seem to be doing anything with just key on. Does it operate for a short moment or stay on? I don't have anyone to help me so I'm running back to look at it once I turn the key.

I remember when I was diagnosing the failed idle control unit I had felt the ICV buzzing with key on. I hope the new idle control unit isn't causing this. I'm starting to feel like these vanagon parts vendors saw me coming a mile away. What do you think? $300 for a new ICV? I have to get it local if I want it for this long weekend coming up.
pablum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

loki475 wrote:
Temp 2 sensor is definitely ok. I just turned the key and the ICV doesn't seem to be doing anything with just key on. Does it operate for a short moment or stay on? I don't have anyone to help me so I'm running back to look at it once I turn the key.

I remember when I was diagnosing the failed idle control unit I had felt the ICV buzzing with key on. I hope the new idle control unit isn't causing this. I'm starting to feel like these vanagon parts vendors saw me coming a mile away. What do you think? $300 for a new ICV? I have to get it local if I want it for this long weekend coming up.

If you have a solid airtight intake it may be your AFM bypass screw is fully tightened (i.e., there's no unmetered air to adjust the idle with.)
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

The ICV is not operating. I'm going to bench test it. I haven't touched the AFM screw yet or looked into it. I installed a new AFM and assumed it was ready to go. I can also re-install the original AFM to test since it had not failed, I just replaced it with a new unit that has the 'hesitation fix' inside.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

Bench test shows the ICV is toast. With 12v applied it tries to snap but only makes it about 1mm then closes. If I keep trying it doesn't even do that anymore.

I couldn't understand why it ran so good once it was warmed up. Then I remembered that I had to keep opening the idle speed screw every other time I started the engine because the idle speed had dropped. That's when the ICV must have been slowly failing. Once it finally stopped working I was idling through the throttle valve at that point. The screw is out pretty far.

I'll know for sure later this week once my ICV arrives.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

pablum wrote:
loki475 wrote:

The icv allows extra air to pass, but it can only pass that unmetered air the CO bypass adjustment in the AFM let's in. So it could be just that that requires adjustment, and you shouldn't need to dig around in the AFM. Stick with the icv for now.

The ICV passes only metered air.

All the air entering the ICV has already gone through the AFM and been metered. The air that goes through the ICV bypasses the throttle valve but does not bypass the AFM.

Its overall functionality is no different than opening the throttle a bit.

Last edited by Wildthings on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

So it was definitely the ICV. Runs great now. Strange how it failed slowly though. That made troubleshooting tricky
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

loki475 wrote:
So it was definitely the ICV. Runs great now. Strange how it failed slowly though. That made troubleshooting tricky

Where did you get your new ICV?
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

loki475 wrote:

Where did you get your new ICV?
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

I got it from frank condelli. But now the new idle control valve is not working either. I had similar problems tuning again but not quite as bad. When I checked to see what the idle control valve was doing, it was doing nothing. Bench tested it and it does not operate with 12V. So that's a $300 part that doesn't work. It was some aftermarket company. I need to start searching junk yards.
loki475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Can a failing ICV prevent cold starts only? Reply with quote

So it wasn't the idle control valve after all, but an intermittent connection to the idle control unit. It caused the ICV to come on and off. Now I think that has fried the idle control unit. It wont idle below 950rpm with the screw all the way in and the milliamp reading is 620 and not fluctuating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: