Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rod VW part number
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Rod VW part number Reply with quote

Can anyone identify what this rod pn is please?
113 105 411
I think they measure 5.1875 if I read my Stanley tape measure right.
Which gives me an idea Exclamation Exclamation
I want to build a 74x88mm 1800cc. You can use 5.325" rods and retain an engine that is real close to stock width.
If these are as short as I think they are, the difference between these and 5.325 rods is just under 3.5mm.
Does that mean I could go 76mm or even 78 mm crank ending up with an 1850 or even a 1900?
The 88mm jugs only come in A piston variety and I am thinking the shorter rod would make up for the difference in pin height of the B piston.
Is there enough room at the skirt of the piston to clearance?
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod VW part number Reply with quote

40 horse https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=253887
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod VW part number Reply with quote

I thought they might be.
I tried to stick'um on a junk crank I have to see if I could get a rough guess of clearencing needed. The rods are to wide to fit around the journal between the counterweights. The crank is a 76mm and it looks like there could be enough room on the swing to clear the pistons. Anyone else done this? If the rods are too wide by a few thou, would it be a terrible idea to have them and the bearings milled down?
Since it is too wide to fit in the crank, I wonder if the journal size is the same?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I got my 5.1875 measurement by taking the rod cap off and measuring from a flat surface I had it on to as close to the centerline of the small end as I could eyeball
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod VW part number Reply with quote

As noted, the 40HP conrod is 1mm wider than 1300/1500/1600. It's also a whole lot shorter on center-to-center. Rod journals are the same dia.
The real problem will be wrist pin diameter: believe it's 20mm for 40HP rods.

Bob Brugge wrote:
Anyone else done this? If the rods are too wide by a few thou, would it be a terrible idea to have them and the bearings milled down? Since it is too wide to fit in the crank, I wonder if the journal size is the same?

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod VW part number Reply with quote

I realized that as well. What is the o.d of that bushing? I have seen on here somewhere someone was talking about using a 40 hp rod with no bushing. I also saw where someone said they make a 40 hp rod with the 22mm wrist pin bore, but I can't find them.
Looking at aircooled.net I see even shorter rods but no mention of the wrist pin size, only that it fits 2.0 journals. Would these be for w/c?
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod VW part number Reply with quote

I never thought about using a tape mesere to messure rods.me~sure it wont be exzact.
FeelthySanchez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod VW part number Reply with quote

No idea offhand what bushing OD is. A good archive search topic, tho.
Sans bushing would be rather scary.
The "even shorter rods" from ACN may just be native to T4/2.0L 914, which are very short & I believe sport a 24mm pin.

Bob Brugge wrote:
I realized that as well. What is the o.d of that bushing? I have seen on here somewhere someone was talking about using a 40 hp rod with no bushing. I also saw where someone said they make a 40 hp rod with the 22mm wrist pin bore, but I can't find them.
Looking at aircooled.net I see even shorter rods but no mention of the wrist pin size, only that it fits 2.0 journals. Would these be for w/c?

Enough clue..Whats that mean?
OldIronSpine wrote:
I'm not sure how compression works.
Turbos don't produce torque, they produce HP. Instead of torque.
The real problem with NA engines is you don't hear the nice whine of the turbo as it spools up.
Before I commit, I'm going to do more research because I don't really know what piston rings are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Rod VW part number Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I never thought about using a tape mesere to messure rods.me~sure it wont be exzact.

Not the most accurate tool to use for sure. I was a carpenter for 15 years and I got pretty good w/ my Stanley 25'. I am super curious how close I came. Mostly I was trying to guestimate the difference between a 5.325" rod and a 40hp rod, then convert that to mm to see if I could use a larger crank
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: