Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1984 westy automatic won't start.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dalegene3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: 1984 westy automatic won't start. Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I'm new to the westy world. Only bought my first about six weeks ago and it's spent the last three weeks getting new breaks, suspension and coolant system. On maiden voyage, stopped for fire wood and it won't start. The battery is fully charged, tried jumping it, but nothing. There's a high pitch squeal from the ignition that wasn't there previously. I'm stranded with wife and four year old in roslyn, with some tools but limited knowledge/capability. Any advice would be tremendous. Thanks
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 westy automatic won't start. Reply with quote

I am on the wrong coast to run out and help you. There are folks willing to help in my sig. I hope it works out well.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 westy automatic won't start. Reply with quote

bringing this back up to the top... lets get you some help.
high pitched squeal from an automatic? that's an odd one for sure.

you need to give us more details of what is happening (when & How)
when you goto start it, is the starter turning, clicking, clunking or NOTHING?

I assume the starter is trying to turn, but maybe not engaging the teeth correctly. where you may have a loose mounted starter
or that it's turning the motor but it's protesting. like you have something stuck in the belts or seized alternator (unlikely).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 westy automatic won't start. Reply with quote

Chiming in on this one. I ran into this guy and tried to help, but couldn't.
The starter was not turning over or clicking. Battery seemed okay.
The ignition had a high pitched buzz similar to the oil pressure low pressure buzz, but I hadn't heard it before. Maybe the earlier vans have a different sound?
Thought maybe hot start issue? Hopefully it's been solved by now, but bringing it back to the top if not.
amwaj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 westy automatic won't start. Reply with quote

My '84 auto has a buzz/sort of beep with the key in the switch and the door open...sound like that?....first and easiest to check os a loose/corroded connection at the battery....or at the starter, or a dead ignition switch...
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1984 westy automatic won't start. Reply with quote

on mom's camper the key crank wire likes to fall off the solenoid..
real PITA for when it's yer 70+ yr old mom.

refreshed and new wiring connections at the starter are a very good thing.

plus on an automatic the P/N shifter safety can be buggered.. 1st try to start in N-eutral. or a position very close to the normal P/N spot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1984 westy automatic won't start. Reply with quote

Crawl under it and use a screw driver to jump from the big lug on the starter solenoid to each of the male spades and see it it will turn over. Have the tranny in park and the P. Brake on and if the key is in the "on" position it should start. Don't run yourself over as that will spoil your day. The solenoid is hopefully going to make a nice loud bang as you do this and will likely startle you a bit. The spade you want to short to should have a red/black wire on it, but try them all if need be.

Don't accidentally short the big lug to ground or you are going to make a really big nasty spark. A 6-8" piece of #16 or larger wire with a 1/4" female spade on one end is a safer tool to do this with, but a screwdriver will work.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: