Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I bought a bus yesterday
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiveJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

After being exclusively a bug owner for most of my life, I ran across the perfect project to dip my toe into the bus world! I got "Odie" yesterday and have started making plans to get him back on the road.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My first question, of many I expect, is can this be fixed?

Looks like a pin is missing that keeps the latch mechanism from turning too far. I can't find a source for a new sliding door latch so I guess a used replacement is my only option.

This should be fun. I'll post progress pictures here as we work towards getting Odie back on the road again.

'73 Beetle
'73 Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

Have you tried looking in the door for it? You might also try going to a hardware store & see if they have a "roll pin" that might fit.

Welcome to the club... sucker! Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
LiveJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

After quite a bit of reading and searching, it looks like the "Remote Control Lock" is pretty hard to come by and nobody makes a reproduction. So I'm going to open mine up any try to fix it. I'll post progress after the weekend.

Meanwhile I got started on filling some holes. There are so many little screw holes everywhere!

Given the number of screws the previous owner used to install mirrors on the front doors, I'll be at this for a little while. Rolling Eyes

'73 Beetle
'73 Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sethpat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

Nice bus, that looks like a great project. I wish mine was in that good of shape when i found it. I would totally buff out that paint job and call it good. Keep us updated!
Sage79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

What possessed a PO to put padlocks on? I had a similar engine compartment lock! In your case, the hatch lock dented the engine lid too, what a bozo!
'77 delux 2.0FI 090Auto - now my son's
LiveJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

sethpat@ That's the plan for now. Just filling holes and hitting spots with POR15 to keep things from getting out of hand.

Sage79@ Must have been all the pot those hippies kept in the back. Laughing

I got the trunk latch all reassembled today and it works great now that it's cleaned up. I also found a local clutch pedal assembly. Should get to spend some time on the slider this weekend.

'73 Beetle
'73 Bus
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

Nice otherwise....
But yeah, Bozo the Paranoid Clown locked that loaf up TIGHT.
Dayum.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

Keep your powder (or herbs) dry and secure whilst peeking out the curtains with the scary parry's. Nice Bus overall.
LiveJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

I made some progress today. After spending a couple weeks figuring out how the sliding door controls were supposed to work, fabricating a broken part, and repairing some worn out pieces, I was able to successfully close and reopen my sliding door. Now all the doors open and close correctly and I'm on to rebuilding the dash.

Here was the major malfunction. That arm was supposed to be fully attached.

I had to drill out some rivets to get the thing apart

Someone yanked on this thing hard enough to pull that pin out.

I used my table top lathe to make a new pin.

Clamped it closed to test functionality and then I spot welded the case closed again. (Hmm... really should have rotated this. Sorry)

I got excited testing the door and forgot to get any pictures of the door put back together. I'll take some when I head back out for some fine tuning now that I've read up on the proper way to operate the door.

'73 Beetle
'73 Bus
senseless1707
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

Awesome! I am in the same boat, bought a bus recently and slowly getting her back on the road.

Will be fun to see yours come together.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: I bought a bus yesterday Reply with quote

That's really cool that you got fully involved and machined out a new piece. Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: