Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drawkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Ok so here is the deal. I bought the bus non running, I replaced every gasket I could without splitting the case. New manifold boots as well. I rebuilt the carb, set the valves and set the timing. For the life of me I can't get it to idle below 1100 rpm. There is a little play in the throttle shaft. I will look at making a paper gasket for that issue with a little wheel bearing grease to create a seal to see if that helps. I'm assuming it had to be a vacuum leak since screwing in the bypass screw all the way in let's it idle at 1100 rpm. It will raise the idle if I screw it out. I did the preliminary set up with 2 1/2 tuns on the volume control and 2 turns on the bypass screw. All gaskets are new for the intake and no ports on the carb are left unsealed. It is a bocar 34 pict 3 if that matters. I'm looking to hear anything and everything and I will try whatever is suggested to fix this issue. Thanks to everyone in advance.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Are you sure the throttle plate is closing completely? The stop screw that sits against the high idle cam must be barely touching the cam, only enough to take the slack out of the system and support the butterfly so it doesn't dig into the carb throat.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Do you have a timing light?-- you need to start separating all the events that mean a high idle- runaway timing is the first.

Your looking for anything that is advancing the timing- First place is the fast idle cam from the choke- the choke must be open and the fast idle steps off the adjuster screw from the throttle plate.-- If not the vac port to the timing advance will open and advance the timing. -- At the same time you can observe the timing for a dist malfunction. (set to 28* at 3500 RPM)

Test for a vacuum leak by dribbling some fuel into the carb at fast idle- if it instantly (and scarcely) jumps in RPM you have a vacuum leak. Shut it down and either acquire a smoker (by far the best way)- or apply a slight pressure to the intake and spray for bubbles.

you can also use propane (not light- Embarassed ) to apply a fuel to areas of the manifold.

Get back to use after those tests and report.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!

Last edited by williamM on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drawkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Yup it's nowhere close
drawkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Timing is set with the light
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

drawkvw wrote:
Timing is set with the light

Are you hitting 28* at 3500?? with no more advance?

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drawkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Yes that mark has been hit. Everything has been put to spec. Timing, valves, points, both screws on the carb, fast idle screw.
drawkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

I saw this post on another forum and it could be relevant. What says the gurus on the samba

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=9442
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Then remove the carb and hold it up to the light to confirm there's nothing visible around the throttle plate, also look at the hole in the throttle plate, it may be for a DVDA and need a pop rivet or solder in it to plug it up.

Exclamation Caution, when eyeing up carbs wear safety glasses, that first shot from the acel pump is always a nasty suprise Shocked Exclamation

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
drawkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Ok I will pull it and give it a check, I hope your not speaking from experience with the fuel in the eye. That would suck, I'm a commercial plumber I got primer in my eye once.... most pain I have ever felt in my eye ever.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

I've managed to stay very lucky, but have had a number of near misses that would have been plenty unpleasant if they were just a few mm closer. Never trust a carb, even if it's drained, pump the throttle after draining to empty the acel pumps too just in case.

Слава Україні!
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Hi. Since a '71 has power brakes try and cap off the fitting on the intake manifold, below carb, and see if anything changes.
Do you have a distrib that its centrifugal weights are returning to base timing. You can verify by attempting to turn rotor. It will move only a small amount but once released should snap back to base timing.
If you have all the original components then there was a throttle positioner that would slow the throttle's return once driver lifted off the pedal. Check this component isn't allowing throttle to return.
Finally, seen the cable get hung up within the tube, especially the flexible tube near the trans.
Bill
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Throttle shaft leaks to win place and show. Those aftermarkets suck.
No, I mean they suck through the bushings.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

As Rockerarm said, block off the vacuum line going forward to the brake booster. Did you replace that vacuum hose? You could also have a failed booster.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Throttle shaft leaks to win place and show. Those aftermarkets suck.
No, I mean they suck through the bushings.

Your first statement was correct. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Be happy it idles at all...
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

I had the same deal going on once: my stock '71 bus engine wouldn't idle below 1100 rpm with any reasonable setting of the carb controls. That meant
it wouldn't pass state emissions test. Couldn't find any vac leak, fer love or money. Plugged hole in throttle plate to "compensate" for all that unwanted
air coming in from someplace. That improved matters a great deal.

drawkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

For the win!!!!! The man who called it first BUSDADDY!!!!!!! Surprised
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

Did you plug it up and confirm that it fixed the issue?
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
drawkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 bus won't idle below 1100rpm Reply with quote

It's riveted and fixed my issues. Worked great
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: