Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

66 Type 3 questions
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
66VWSQBCK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Ok, just bought this car because I've always wanted one. Going to do a full restore/custom job on it. Just have a few questions that I can't seem to find on the web.
1. This car has a Karmann Ghia badge on the front quarter driver side.rare?
2. has a weird clock(looks like a mickey mouse)rare?
3. it does have the dual carb engine but not sure if its the 1600 or 1500
4. 12V sticker on driver door
5. roof rack original? can't seem to find that anywhere else as well.

Just need some clarity with theses specifics to the year. The VIN is a 366 number telling me it is a 66.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

66VWSQBCK wrote:
Ok, just bought this car because I've always wanted one. Going to do a full restore/custom job on it. Just have a few questions that I can't seem to find on the web.
1. This car has a Karmann Ghia badge on the front quarter driver side.rare?
2. has a weird clock(looks like a mickey mouse)rare?
3. it does have the dual carb engine but not sure if its the 1600 or 1500
4. 12V sticker on driver door
5. roof rack original? can't seem to find that anywhere else as well.

Just need some clarity with theses specifics to the year. The VIN is a 366 number telling me it is a 66.

Welcome to the type 3 world. Before you get chewed up, your car appears to be a '68 but many parts are interchangeable.

1. that is a Karmann Ghia dash emblem.
2.The Mickey Mouse Clock, not original.
3.Most dual carb cars after 1965 are 1600.
4.stickers are available in 6v and 12v. '66 would be 6v, unless converted.
5.Roof rack appears to be aftermarket.

The FAQ section on the very top of this page is your friend. But nice looking square.

Martin
allwagons

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Congrats on your car. You can do some searches on this site for 66 specific car pics and begin to see the subtle differences in what you have and what you don’t. However, before you start tearing into it, take some time to formulate a plan on what you want to do with it. I’m saying this because doing a resto-mod takes time and I’m sure since you mentioned you always wanted one, take some time to enjoy it, learn the car and get your laundry list of things you need to replace or want to do to it. I can’t answer all your questions but you’re going to hear a lot on what this car is sporting. To possibly answer a few:
- Weird clock is just that - Weird. Probably some aftermarket or PO custom made job
- Good question on the size of your engine. These did come with duals and I’d venture it may be a 1600 if stock but you never know until you do more research on it. Does it look stock? Could a pic pf it be posted?
- ALLWAGONS brought up a good possibility your car is from another year. Could it be the car had a pan swap from a 66? Is there a VIN plate on the front under the hood near the latch? You car looks to be of a later year by the dash buttons and the driver door is from a later 68 or 69 model as the door lock is separate from the handle on 66s. You may be able to get more info on whether the car is 12v in the engine bay by looking at the generator or the coil or even the battery. If it’s a later model, ALLWAGONS answered your question on it.
- Roof rack is not an original from what I’ve seen and handled. But it fits nicely.
- I think the turn signals on 66 are small wrap-arounds. Those fenders may be later 68 or 69. I’ve never seen a reflector on a fender like that as well.
I’m not trying to pick apart your car. Pls don’t get upset or discouraged. If it drives, for the moment, focus on the mechanicals of it. Brakes, fuel lines and electricals. I’m sure I’m missing something but the bottom line is have a plan and a vision before digging into the car. Google ‘Type3 Selecta’ if you haven’t already done so and app will allow you play around with ideas to come up with what looks good you and take pic of it for motivation.
Lastly, welcome to the community. There are a lot of folks here with great knowledge and experiences to help you along the way. I’m not sure of your experiences with VW or T3s in general but I’m sure you’ll enjoy the car and the journey the cars going to take you on. Welcome once again.
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Looks like a 68-69 body. The hazards and switch and buttons under the clock are late features not present in 1966

Post some more photos for sure, but make sure that thing is titled correctly before spending a bunch on it that you'll never get back out
66VWSQBCK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Thx for the replies guys. Appreciate it.
Ya I do have the title and it says 65. But from the VIN that I looked up it suggests its a 66. And the VIN matches the pan number. I have yet to hit the DMV until Im sure what year it is. It does have disc front and drum back brakes. Also the rear bumper has the back up lights. Attached more pics.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Hmm, it has the brake warning light on the dash, which didn't show up until the 68 models.

Definitely not a 65, but the VIN is 1966. But the body says 68? There was a body/pan swap at some point.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Hmm, it has the brake warning light on the dash, which didn't show up until the 68 models.

Definitely not a 65, but the VIN is 1966. But the body says 68? There was a body/pan swap at some point.

Welcome.
Looks like it had a body swap to me too, and I'd say from a 69 due to the heated rear window switch (defogger), and the lack of a rear upper engine hanger (snubber for the tube). The engine appears to be from a later car as well (the breather box being a give away, along with the larger diameter generator). It's been converted to carbs, and they look like they're from CB Performance, which means they're jetted pretty close. Cool

The roof rack looks similar to those that were from the dealerships, but I've never seen 1 with the center leg on it.

The Karmann Ghia script is an add on (like the reflectors on the front fenders).
The clock is weird.

Nice ride though. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Good eye, Bob, looks like a 69 body.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Body swap and then clipped in the front with the '66 vin so it matched the pan

Personally I wouldn't touch it and definitely wouldnt spend much money on it. I'd be pissed if it was when I was young and didn't know better, and someone sold it to me

There are going to be others that wouldn't care - but I like my numbers legit and legal
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Body swap and then clipped in the front with the '66 vin so it matched the pan

Personally I wouldn't touch it and definitely wouldnt spend much money on it. I'd be pissed if it was when I was young and didn't know better, and someone sold it to me

There are going to be others that wouldn't care - but I like my numbers legit and legal

How can you tell it was "clipped?"
The tag and rivets might have been replaced years ago, so now they look the correct "age".
In some states, the pan number is the 1 that counts, and you definitely want it to match your title.

At our local cruise night (Friday night) there was a V8 powered VW super bug (front engined). Nothing matched on it as far as pan or engine numbers. Rolling Eyes
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

fair enough - yes the rivets look correct, I'm used to seeing incorrect rivets and pried up tags on a body swap car. The front fender and hood fitment looks wonky, and I can't tell if it has a gas flap door which will tell us
66VWSQBCK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
fair enough - yes the rivets look correct, I'm used to seeing incorrect rivets and pried up tags on a body swap car. The front fender and hood fitment looks wonky, and I can't tell if it has a gas flap door which will tell us

Whats the gas flap door supposed to look like?

Sorry. Im learning. Also I basically stole this car. And it runs. Just a little project. I by no means want it all stock. It will be a fully custom car when its done anyways.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

If it's a 68 the fender will have an indentation to open the gas door with your finger. In 69 the gas door had to be released from the inside of the car.

I really don't see it as a big deal; the VINs match and that's the main thing. Title it as a 66 and enjoy it -- it looks like a good solid car!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

If it's a 66 it won't have a gas flap whatsoever. So if it has one it's clipped like I said

Sorry y'all, not trying to be a dick but I'm not living in ignorant bliss ether. I've been on the flip side - cars stolen from me.

Just saying "hey the numbers match" is ignorant at best. Good luck with that when it comes to resale or even getting a vin inspection.

Good luck
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Just saying "hey the numbers match" is ignorant at best. Good luck with that when it comes to resale or even getting a vin inspection.

I agree that if the car has ever been stolen, of course all bets are off, but if not --

I'm not familiar with how the Arizona DMV treats these things. How would this affect selling the car?

I'll give an example. If I were buying this car in Alabama, when I went to register the car, the clerk would walk outside and look at the VIN to make sure it matched the bill of sale. Then they would issue a registration (no title is required for vehicles over 35 years of age, and titles weren't issued in Alabama before 1975 anyway).

That's it. The state wouldn't know, or care, if the body had been swapped.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
I'm not familiar with how the Arizona DMV treats these things. How would this affect selling the car?

The AZ DMV no longer does VIN checks for out of state vehicles brought into the state.

He could simply take the paperwork to the desk and register it according to whatever was on the previous title.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
How would this affect selling the car?

Example - Spends $5K-$10K on fixing it up. Goes to sell it a few years from now, and advertises it as a '66. This same exact conversation starts up - why does it have a 69 dash, 69 body, 69 gas door but the numbers are '66? Potential buyer that knows better walks away

Donnie strickland wrote:
That's it. The state wouldn't know, or care, if the body had been swapped.

If that's all that you care about, again, that's on you. I've had cars stolen from me and this is exactly the outcome. In a no rust state, I really can't think of another reason to do a number swap

Donnie strickland wrote:
I agree that if the car has ever been stolen, of course all bets are off, but if not --

thats a big ol' if with the evidence that's been given...
66VWSQBCK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
If it's a 66 it won't have a gas flap whatsoever. So if it has one it's clipped like I said

Sorry y'all, not trying to be a dick but I'm not living in ignorant bliss ether. I've been on the flip side - cars stolen from me.

Good luck

No gas flap. Under front hood.
66VWSQBCK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

Ya the title says 65. So Im going to change it to what the VIN says.
Selling it,,,,,,,,,probably not.
Either way its a cool car. Just wanted some clarity and you guys are the experts. I appreciate all the feedback. I will post build pics and pics when its done. Im personally not doing it, it is going to a VW custom shop in Phx.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: 66 Type 3 questions Reply with quote

66VWSQBCK wrote:
Erik G wrote:

Good luck

No gas flap. Under front hood.

The whole front end has been cut off the '66 donor, and welded to the 69 body then. Where the fenders don't line up with the door and the hood doesnt line up you can kinda see it. Getting that fixed will make it look better, as will removing those front reflectors and karmann badges.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: