Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb soak in Pinesol
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Maxoceanblue wrote:
I'll stay away from the pinesol then, thanks. I'll just stick with standard carb cleaner. I haven't opened it up yet, waiting until the weekend. Unless the bowl looks cruddy I won't soak it. I'm just looking to clear the passages and exchange O-rings and gaskets.

When I put it back together do I need to refill the bowl with gas before trying to start the car for the first time or will that occur automatically?

You can if you want, but if you have a good strong fuel pump it will deliver fuel soon enough.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

The Berrymans sold today is a far cry from what it was 20 years ago. It was MUCH stronger and more powerful of a cleaner. The version sold now is a water downed example.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb_foots
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Erik G wrote:
Berryman's is some nasty shit - I've used it and it works but I hate to do so. How do you dispose of it properly?

Look on the MSDS information that comes with it.

no kidding

"Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local, regional, national, and international regulations, as applicable"

So again - how do you dispose of it properly

You can use it almost forever, but when it's time to get rid of it, most cities have places. Same place you take all the old paint cans, leftover bug spray, etc. For us it's a place out in riverside, you don't even get out of the car. Pull up, guys in disposable suits take the stuff out of your trunk, and you're done.

It's worth having a can of this stuff around. I just used it to degrease some parts from my kitchen range hood. Simple green wouldn't touch the skooge on the motor brackets, etc. but Berryman's cleaned them right up with zero effort.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

pb_foots wrote:
Erik G wrote:
Helfen wrote:
Erik G wrote:
Berryman's is some nasty shit - I've used it and it works but I hate to do so. How do you dispose of it properly?

Look on the MSDS information that comes with it.

no kidding

"Dispose of contents/container in accordance with local, regional, national, and international regulations, as applicable"

So again - how do you dispose of it properly

You can use it almost forever, but when it's time to get rid of it, most cities have places. Same place you take all the old paint cans, leftover bug spray, etc. For us it's a place out in riverside, you don't even get out of the car. Pull up, guys in disposable suits take the stuff out of your trunk, and you're done.

It's worth having a can of this stuff around. I just used it to degrease some parts from my kitchen range hood. Simple green wouldn't touch the skooge on the motor brackets, etc. but Berryman's cleaned them right up with zero effort.

Like I said:
The cities where I have lived and worked all have a day about once or twice a year that they collect hazmat waste to get rid of this and other stuff. Call your city or county and ask. It's in our local paper, on the local radio and TV stations and in the case of where I live they mail residents a flyer when the day will be.
I recently had to change my five gallon bucket for a new one because the stuff ate the bottom out of the can. As said before you can use this stuff over and over and my batch was about ten years old before I had to change the can. Even after ten years and many many carbs and fuel pumps it's still good. I just recently cleaned a Q jet for one of my touring cars and it came out super clean.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

I live in the 3rd largest city in the US, there is no local yearly pickup, no "local" paper, "local" tv "local" radio - they all serve about 7 million people

I did find the place, way way far away and I'm not putting any of that crap in my car - I'll never get the smell out.

Quote:
When I started restoring distributors I used Berryman's. Not only did it give me headache left the parts with a strong odor you could smell an open can of the stuff for half a block. I love life too much to use the stuff regularly. I kept my can for about 8 years before disposing of it on our county hazmat day. Like your garbage you can never really "throw it way".

100% agree. I'm no hippie tree hugger but damn, it's like living next to a chrome shop

Quote:
The Berrymans sold today is a far cry from what it was 20 years ago. It was MUCH stronger and more powerful of a cleaner. The version sold now is a water downed example.

truth be told - it has probably been about 20 years since I used the can with the dip basket, so if it's not as strong now, thats different. Makes sense, everything else is getting weaker too
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Funny how someone stated that Berryman's eats plastic. The can I have in my garage has a plastic basket in it. The last time I looked it was still intact.
I remember that Berryman's used to come with a metal basket.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Yamaha Carb Cleaner is safe for the plastics in carburetors. I have used on racks of motorcycle carbs with no ill effects.
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Maxoceanblue wrote:
I've been having trouble getting it to idle
34PICT4

What distributor are you running? Everything else set to spec such as valves, dwell, timing, etc?

If you do soak the carb, I recommend a carb dip in a gallon can. Follow the instructions on the can.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxoceanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

UPDATE

Finished cleaning my carb yesterday. I decided not to soak it and just cleaned it with degreaser and water, then spray carb cleaner. I'm very happy with its performance now, wow. It's very responsive to my throttle inputs now and almost feels like there's more torque now, if that's possible.

I can get it to idle at 900 RPM but I have to use the fast idle cam to do it. The bypass and volume control screws have little to no effect on RPM. I just don't know if my mixture is rich or lean.

Oh well, I'll run with it as is and watch the spark plugs for signs of incorrect mixture.

(009 distributor)
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Maxoceanblue wrote:
UPDATE

Finished cleaning my carb yesterday. I decided not to soak it and just cleaned it with degreaser and water, then spray carb cleaner. I'm very happy with its performance now, wow. It's very responsive to my throttle inputs now and almost feels like there's more torque now, if that's possible.

I can get it to idle at 900 RPM but I have to use the fast idle cam to do it. The bypass and volume control screws have little to no effect on RPM. I just don't know if my mixture is rich or lean.

Oh well, I'll run with it as is and watch the spark plugs for signs of incorrect mixture.

(009 distributor)

Sounds like your idle circuit is still plugged up.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Maxoceanblue wrote:
UPDATE

(009 distributor)

Agree.. A long bath in an ultrasonic parts cleaner usually cleans those passages out.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Funny how someone stated that Berryman's eats plastic. The can I have in my garage has a plastic basket in it. The last time I looked it was still intact.

You do know there are different types of plastic.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Years ago I had been using old toothbrushes to scrub parts in the parts dip. After about 15 minutes the plastic handle would get soft and sticky. The bristles seemed okay, though. Rather than take any chances, I never put any kind of plastic in it after that.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Years ago I had been using old toothbrushes to scrub parts in the parts dip. After about 15 minutes the plastic handle would get soft and sticky. The bristles seemed okay, though. Rather than take any chances, I never put any kind of plastic in it after that.

Ever take a tooth brush and clean something with our wonderful ethanol based fuel? It turns a tooth brush into ABBA ZABA. It also eats some rubber compounds, some plastic compounds and cork gaskets and some types of metal. and it just loves moisture. Our engines are ingesting this stuff. And to think our wonderful leaders mandated this stuff. And some people are complaining about Berryman's carb cleaner.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Maxoceanblue wrote:

You should never be using the fast idle cam to adjust the idle speed on a 34PICT carburetor. Use only the volume (small) and bypass (large) screws to set the idle on a warm motor. Getting a proper idle is a balancing act between the two adjustments. And don't be afraid to turn those screws out (counterclockwise) past the recommended 2 turns to get the idle dialed in.

Spark plugs should look like this ↓ if the air/fuel mixture is set properly:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a rundown on adjusting a 34PICT carb:
http://www.vw-resource.com/34pict3.html

Maxoceanblue wrote:
(009 distributor)

The 009 does not play well with a 34PICT carb and many times will contribute to an off-idle flat spot and poor running. SVDA (single vacuum/dual advance) distributors will work best with this carb.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Helfen wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

You do know there are different types of plastic.

Yes I am well aware of plastics. I have made a career of inspecting welds in piping systems. That included fusion welds in various plastic compounds. I especially like Polyvinylidene fluoride. That is about as inert as a plastic can be.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Maxoceanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Maxoceanblue wrote:
UPDATE

(009 distributor)

Are you referring to the idle speed fuel jet on the passenger side? I took that out of the carb during my cleaning, soaked it in an ultrasound bath and shot it up with carb cleaner before reinstalling. I've read that turning this jet a quarter turn or so will make a difference. Nothing happens when playing with this until I get a couple of turns out and the engine will then die.

When I set the fast idle cam screw at the appropriate "just touching the cam plus 1/4 turn" position, it's just to slow. I start the bypass and volume screws at 6 half turns out from bottom. Starting from these beginning points I can't get the RPMs to change by moving just the bypass screw.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Maxoceanblue wrote:
Are you referring to the idle speed fuel jet on the passenger side? I've read that turning this jet a quarter turn or so will make a difference. Nothing happens when playing with this until I get a couple of turns out and the engine will then die.

There's more to the idle circuit than just that jet. There are small passages drilled into the carburetor body that are part of the circuit as well. Loosening the idle jet a bit is only a "cheat" to allow a little more fuel into the idle circuit. It shouldn't be considered a "fix".

Maxoceanblue wrote:
When I set the fast idle cam screw at the appropriate "just touching the cam plus 1/4 turn" position, it's just to slow. I start the bypass and volume screws at 6 half turns out from bottom. Starting from these beginning points I can't get the RPMs to change by moving just the bypass screw.

If turning the bypass screw doesn't effect the idle speed (with the throttle arm set properly on the fast idle cam), then there's a problem within the carburetor itself, or you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Even a quarter-turn of that screw should noticeably change the idle speed.

Is there any effect if you turn the bypass screw almost all the way out? Where is the volume screw set?

Can you get the motor to idle if you partially close the choke plate (without moving the fast idle cam) or cover part of the air intake with your hand?

If you don't find any vacuum leaks, then you may need to strip the carb down and soak the body in a can of Berryman. Follow that up with a blast of compressed air (canned stuff will work) in all orifices to clean out the internal passages.
Maxoceanblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

I can take the bypass screw all the way out with no change. I've shot carb cleaner all around the usual spots to find the vacuum leak but can't find one.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: carb soak in Pinesol Reply with quote

Maxoceanblue wrote:
I can take the bypass screw all the way out with no change.

Uh-Oh...that's not good. If a long soak in the cleaner doesn't straighten things out, you might consider sending your carb to Tim at VolkzBitz for a rebuild. It'll be better than new when it comes back.

http://www.volkzbitz.com/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: