Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

I am building a 40hp. I have it all together and trying to install the distributor. It doesnt appear to go in all the way leaving about 5mm gap at base. Is the 40hp drive shaft shorter than 1600? Could I have installed the wrong drive shaft?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

It should be the same.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

You could have it installed incorrectly.

Last engine I built (20years ago) first I did on the build. Was installed the dist drive and distributor before laying the crank. That way I could see that it was seated in the case. Some install the drive and then the fuel pump to hold the drive in place while assembling the engine.

Can you turn the rotor with the dist installed as is? If so the drive tang on the bottom of the dist is not in the groove of the drive. I have had this happen when swapping dists from time to time.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
You could have it installed incorrectly.

Last engine I built (20years ago) first I did on the build. Was installed the dist drive and distributor before laying the crank. That way I could see that it was seated in the case. Some install the drive and then the fuel pump to hold the drive in place while assembling the engine.

Can you turn the rotor with the dist installed as is? If so the drive tang on the bottom of the dist is not in the groove of the drive. I have had this happen when swapping dists from time to time.

Good Luck.

The shaft moves with the motor. The distributor is in all the way.
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the 40hp shafts are the same length or are they shorter?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

Absolutely Aircooled
Quote:
It doesnt appear to go in all the way leaving about 5mm gap at base.

So does this now mean that you have the dist seated all the way to the base? Or is it still up 5mm? 5mm is about the depth of the drive tang into the drive shaft. Did you try to rotate the rotor by hand? Not the crank pulley.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Absolutely Aircooled
Quote:
It doesnt appear to go in all the way leaving about 5mm gap at base.

So does this now mean that you have the dist seated all the way to the base? Or is it still up 5mm? 5mm is about the depth of the drive tang into the drive shaft. Did you try to rotate the rotor by hand? Not the crank pulley.

I found my digital caliper gauge and using another 40hp case and another dist shaft I compared the measurements from top of case down to shaft with a 1600 case and there is a 4mm difference. So at this point I am thinking installed the wrong shaft and will have to yank it out of there. I cannot find any info anywhere stating that the 40hp shaft is any different though.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

It's not that the 40hp drive was any longer than others, it's that VW made extra-long drive shafts for use in remachined cases.
Evidently you have one of those longer ones. You'll have to use a different one in the case you have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
It's not that the 40hp drive was any longer than others, it's that VW made extra-long drive shafts for use in remachined cases.
Evidently you have one of those longer ones. You'll have to use a different one in the case you have.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Interesting...I have several shafts and they are all 85mm. The 40hp case I am using for comparison measures 126mm so I am guessing you are right that I need an 80mm shaft.
Thanks!
diablosandwich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

I do not know the answer but a search of distributor drives brought this https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2024405

On last picture in ad there are different drives for 40 hp

Casey
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

The 40 hp looks different but I believe the length is the same. I have seen very thick spacers for use on re-man cases and different length shafts for re-man cases. You might have one of these.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

satterley_sr wrote:
The 40 hp looks different but I believe the length is the same. I have seen very thick spacers for use on re-man cases and different length shafts for re-man cases. You might have one of these.

This. I'd bet that your case was machined to take the spacer and it's missing or misplaced...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

The overall length and dimensions of dist drive shafts are all the same. The 36hp shaft looks similar but is much shorter. The type 2/4 is totally different.

Of the type 1 shafts, there are three main ones. One, the standard dist drive. Two, one that looks just like the standard one but uses a thick 6mm washer. Three, the 40hp shaft that only goes in one way and is the most difficult to install.

IF your distributor won't go all the way down, the only explanation is that the drive is not seated all the way into the case.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

As of today...I pulled the shaft and I have measured the depth of the shaft hole from top of the case to bottom where the washers are seated on the rebuild and another 40hp case. On the 40hp cases the measurement is 126.** and with the 1600 it is 131.** The shafts overall lengths are maybe the same, however from the very top to where the washers seat the measurements must be different. On the early 40hp it appears this measurement must be 80mm. This is what I have gathered from the measurements I took over these last couple days and the diagram posted earlier in the thread. I have yet though to find the right shaft. I also seated an 85mm shaft in an open 40hp case and installed a distributor and it sits about 5mm above case. So I need an early 40hp drive shaft I am guessing. I know I tore into the open case sometime back so I am thinking if I can find that shaft Ill be in business.
This 40hp build has been a learning experience. It has been one thing after another. 40's are not 1600's.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

Also keep in mind that the diagram above pertains to original German cases only. I have a brand new
VW Brazil case with "a" dimension of 131 mm. All my spare dist. drive pinions have "b" dimension of 85 mm,
including one designated "mid-40hp" (with the weird and troublesome flange-with-flat) in the classified link above.

Are you sure there isn't a spacer stuck down at the bottom of the dist. hole?

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Absolutely Aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 40hp Distributor Drive Shaft Question Reply with quote

I found an early 40hp distributor drive shaft. I had him measure it and it is the 80mm I am looking forward. I also had a conversation with my friend Juan from JRC Enterprises up here in Paradise. He had a thought that maybe that perhaps these cases I have are bastard 40's. I am going to check the numbers when I get home today. For now I think I have solved it, however I will buy this shaft install then know for sure. Thanks for the good thread. I think I may have to post the different things I have come up against in building this 40 horse. I am wishing I had taken more pics because it has been an excellent learning experience.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2024405
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: