Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New 1969
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: New 1969 Reply with quote

Just purchased a 1969 hardtop from the original owner. Appears really nice with no rust through the pan and appears to have no front or rear damage. Total mileage is proported to be 60,000 and it has sat in the garage for 15 years. Original paint and engine and color appears to be Amber. Does not run and am hopeful it is minor. Pick it up Tuesday. Pictures to follow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67Vw2387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

Congrats on your Ghia , great year , post some pics !
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

Looks nice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

Mileage readings on these and almost all cars before the 80's means nothing without a documented paper trail as after 100K it all starts over so the car could have 360K but that doesn't matter if its solid, as motor and trans is the rear half and front beam is front half both replaceable so by replacing these you will have a zero mileage car, so to speak.
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

jimwar wrote:
Just purchased a 1969 hardtop from the original owner. Appears really nice with no rust through the pan and appears to have no front or rear damage. Total mileage is proported to be 60,000 and it has sat in the garage for 15 years. Original paint and engine and color appears to be Amber. Does not run and am hopeful it is minor. Pick it up Tuesday. Pictures to follow.

Did you buy this car sight unseen? Is this the one in Portland? If so, I looked at it and the nose has been hit. There is rust in lower front fender(driver's side), rocker, lower rear fender, battery tray and deck lid bottom edge has lots of rust bubbles. It's been repainted its original Sunset color. It didn't look like a 60,000 mile car to me. If you'd like you can email me and I can send you the pictures I took when I checked it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

It actually has very little rust and nose appears perfect contrary to ghiagirl's comment. I believe it is a 60,000 mile car. It has been painted but I am excited to restore it.
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

jimwar wrote:
It actually has very little rust and nose appears perfect contrary to ghiagirl's comment. I believe it is a 60,000 mile car. It has been painted but I am excited to restore it.

I was trying to be helpful with my previous post as I thought that maybe you bought the car sight unseen and that the seller was misrepresenting the car by telling you that there was no nose damage or rust issues. I saw the car in person about a month ago and passed on it because it needed everything and I know what kind of time and money it takes to fix all of these issues. I'm not saying it's a bad car, it just needs a lot of repairs.

Here's the picture of the inner nose that I took. You guys can be the judge. Another big clue that the nose has been hit is the inner fenders. Take a look at the vin tag and the area around it. You can see the wrinkles and cracked paint indicating that the front end has been hit.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

Quote:
It actually has very little rust and nose appears perfect

If I had a nickel for every time this statement has been written here... Laughing

Post more pics Jimwar

Quote:
I believe it is a XX,000 mile car.

and if I had a dime for every time...
id own a XX,000 mile lowlight. Wink

Looks like rust bubbles on the leading edge of the front trunk lid. I could be wrong, hard to tell from just these pics. Just as an FYI...the ghia girl IS a Serious Ghia expert.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

They all look good with plastic surgery. Or I mean filler. Good luck with the car not saying it's bad but I know two people the looked at this car and pasted on it.
KidKarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

Is it just me or did they all get smooshed noses at some point? Mine has that same issue. A bit more extreme thought. Probably going to have to find a center section and do some surgery on mine.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

KidKarmann wrote:
Is it just me or did they all get smooshed noses at some point?

Sadly, Yes. Quite often when parked when the culprit is a driver who parks by touch. Mine was also smooched.

The Ghia sits quite low compared to most cars. Tow bars are the worst

Nicholas
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
KidKarmann wrote:
Is it just me or did they all get smooshed noses at some point?

Sadly, Yes. Quite often when parked when the culprit is a driver who parks by touch. Mine was also smooched.

The Ghia sits quite low compared to most cars. Tow bars are the worst

Nicholas

Somebody should come up with a faux grill that could be used to cover up any minor damage to a Karmann Ghia's nose.
You know, something small, chrome, and more or less oval shaped that could just be screwed on right over any small dents to the center between the nose vents.

You could eliminate the need for costly repairs.and add some additional classic Italian style all at the same time - How sweet would that be?

Oh heck, ... something like that would probably never catch on.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New 1969 Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Oh heck, ... something like that would probably never catch on.

I'm saw something like that at one of the vendors at Hessiesch Oldendorf last weekend. It was labeled "rare Ghia accessory". No one bought it and on the table it remains.
Nicholas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: