Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of engine compartment wiring
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
easyriderknucklehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

f?ckin eh guys thanks too you all and Bus daddy I owe you a beer I got the beast charging and all hooked up, grounded the brown ,hooked up the blue and red and getting 13.5 to 14 volts running. yeh!!

Sure feels great did take longer than it should have but the beer tastes better and saved the $100 an hour the mechanic would have charged and the butcher job that existed maybe he soak me for 2 hours

Cool Laughing
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

easyriderknucklehead wrote:
... saved the $100 an hour the mechanic would have charged ...

It's easy to make $100 an hour working on your own bay window. You don't see the money come into your wallet, but you don't see it leave either. And you know the quality of the work that has been done.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
easyriderknucklehead wrote:
(diagrams are for electricians lol )

Diagrams are for owners of vintage vehicles who hope to keep them on the road and working properly. Learn it, love it, or get a Corolla. Very Happy

I don't want to get a Corolla Rolling Eyes

But I need help figuring out the late wiring diagram. This thread shed some light but I'm still trying to understand.

Is the yellow strip at the bottom of the diagram Ground? If not, why are all the brown wires connecting to it? And what are the really thin black lines?

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Is the yellow strip at the bottom of the diagram Ground?
Yes it is ground.
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Thank you.

Does anybody know what the little yellow squares with the numbers are? For example, in the light switch, the red/white wire that has the cluster lights on it (circuit 26) ends in such a square marked 52, or the brown wire to its right has one marked 60.

Also, is there a good bus reference guide (perhaps the purple Haynes?) that has good explanations on wiring, and maybe a good diagram? Every diagram I was able to find online is very small and I can barely make out the numbers and letters. Printing in the highest resolution still comes out small and blurry.

Thanks

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Thank you.

Does anybody know what the little yellow squares with the numbers are? For example, in the light switch, the red/white wire that has the cluster lights on it (circuit 26) ends in such a 52
Go over to (circuit 52) and follow it up to the square marked 26. The squares show you the two wires are connected.
The orange circles with the numbers are for the Test Network (diagnostic plug).

Also, is there a good bus reference guide (perhaps the purple Haynes?) that has good explanations on wiring, and maybe a good diagram? Every diagram I was able to find online is very small and I can barely make out the numbers and letters. Printing in the highest resolution still comes out small and blurry.
Open diagrams. Then you can click on pic to make it bigger.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php

Thanks
beetleman217
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

That makes sense, wow it is much more clear now. Thanks Tcash!

1977 Westfalia
1961 Beetle
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

beetleman217 wrote:
Every diagram I was able to find online is very small and I can barely make out the numbers and letters. Printing in the highest resolution still comes out small and blurry.

Some of the versions on http://vintagebus.com/ blow up better, but beware and read the descriptions carefully, that site covers alot of European models so make sure you are using the exact version for whatever bus you have.

Adding the year and model of your bus to your signature line would really help too, it's much easier when we all know exactly what we are working on.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Hi
It would help if you added your vehicle to your Signature. That way people answering your questions will know which vehicle you are asking about.

Year, Model, Engine.
[example]1970, Riviera, 1600 cc type I [single port].
[example]1971, Deluxe, 1600 cc type I [dual port].
[example]1975, Panel, 1800 cc type IV

How do I add a signature to my post?

Thank you
Tcash
DJNWST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

I found this small black wire that must have come loose somehow and was grounding out and sparking inside the engine compartment.

The posts below indicate that it may not go to anything... but I'm really struggling to find what it fell out of. It comes out of the wires that start from the alternator and go to the voltage regulator -- but this one is just hanging.

If it's not needed I can cap it off but if anyone knows I'd love some feedback, thanks!!

Picture below. This view is from the top deck looking down and the battery is on the right. 78 VW Bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Welcome, that was once part of the diagnostic wiring back when the dealers had a machine to plug the bus into, now it's redundant so tape it up safely.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

It is probably the wire shown in Current Track #3 that once plugged into T1a which went to the factory diagnostic plug. The other end is probably attached to the big B+ lug on the starter. You can either just remove the end from the starter or tape the exposed end off carefully.

Double click to enlarge:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
There is also a blue wire that comes into terminal D+ from the front of the Bus. If you trace that blue wire out in the diagram you will see it comes from the alternator light in your instrument cluster.

The way this works is that there is a black wire that provides power to the instrument cluster and the idiot lights when you turn the key on. The blue wire is the ground for the alternator light. It runs to the rear of the Bus and if the alternator is not generating electricity, the current runs to ground and the light turns on. When the alternator is generating electricity, you have 12v on both sides of the bulb so the light stays off.

A very important thing to know is the alternator WILL NOT CHARGE if your alternator light is burned out or otherwise not working. The current from that blue wire is what "excites" the alternator and lets it start charging. If that current doesn't come through, the alternator never starts putting out. So if your alternator light doesn't work, fix that first.

Uh-ohhh... Think

So my plan is to fire my T4 2.0L rebuild on the stand, including a properly connected/functioning alternator so that power to the MegaSquirt is ample and uninterrupted.

Does this mean that my home-made control box (hot/starter switch, tach, etc) needs to have a powered "alternator" light to interact with the blue wire, else no charging will occur???

TIA for helping an electrical bonehead.

BTW, thanks to sjbartnik for these prior clarifications.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Uh-ohhh... Think

So my plan is to fire my T4 2.0L rebuild on the stand, including a properly connected/functioning alternator so that power to the MegaSquirt is ample and uninterrupted.

Does this mean that my home-made control box (hot/starter switch, tach, etc) needs to have a powered "alternator" light to interact with the blue wire, else no charging will occur???

Correct! And add a light for oil pressure, while you're at it.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Thanks telford, without your reply, I might just be hearing crickets.

What I don't get is 12 volts on both sides of the alternator lamp...two positives make a negative??? I'm not questioning bartnik, but the statement in some sense seems contradictory (even though I'm sure it works).

I will study the schematic s'more and chat with some smart electrical people at work...if anyone is so bold and knows this inside-and-out, please feel free to type up a play-by-play and explain the wiring for a box, I'm all ears Embarassed
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
What I don't get is 12 volts on both sides of the alternator lamp...two positives make a negative??? I'm not questioning bartnik, but the statement in some sense seems contradictory (even though I'm sure it works).

More like 2 positives connected make a loop. When the ignition is on you have power flowing from the battery to the alternator lamp, the blue wire acts as a ground when the alternator isn't spinning. As soon as that alternator starts making power that power flows to the battery as well as the blue wire, making the alternator lamp essentially just another connection from the alternator to the battery.

Does that make sense?

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Thanks telford, without your reply, I might just be hearing crickets.

I will study the schematic s'more and chat with some smart electrical people at work...if anyone is so bold and knows this inside-and-out, please feel free to type up a play-by-play and explain the wiring for a box, I'm all ears Embarassed

You need a small amount of "exciter" current to turn the alternator on, this current is supplied through the charge warning light. The exciter current is what lights the light up when you first turn the key to "ON" and will keep the light on until the alternator excites. Once the alternator excites there will be nearly the same voltage on both sides of the light and thus almost no current flow and the light will go out.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Okay, yes, it’s starting to make sense: so if I’m interpreting correctly, the bulb is isolated from chassis ground, and instead is grounding through the blue wire from the voltage regulator; then when power comes through the blue wire, the lamp goes out. Correct?

Thanks guys.
R.C.N. Bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

Can some one be specific about the blue wire coming out of the plug on the regulator which blue wire does it hook to because i have two blue wires coming out of the harness
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of engine compartment wiring Reply with quote

R.C.N. Bugs wrote:
Can some one be specific about the blue wire coming out of the plug on the regulator which blue wire does it hook to because i have two blue wires coming out of the harness

D+ on alternator
D+ on regulator
Charge light
Elapsed mileage counter on rigs with an O2 sensor
Trigger for heater booster fan on early Type 4 powered Transporters
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: