Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 westy with push button start
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

Hi, my dad has a 71 westy that has a push button start under the driver seat, he says his owners manual shows this so it must be factory? I've never heard of this before is it a thing?

He is getting old and would prefer to not have to bend down to push the starter so I want to convert it to a standard type ignition.

His ignition only turns 2 clicks, it doesn't have the spring loaded start function. Can anyone please advise on what parts we will need to convert this to standard key ignition start?

Thanks Barry
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

It's not factory, and someone added it when the original ignition switch stopped spring back.

You need a new ignition switch, and then sort out the hacked wiring job (95% probability) of the push button switch
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

This would be odd. Would like to see a copy of the owner's manual showing this, if its there.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

My dad was obviously having a senior moment, the manual shows no such thing as a push button start.

So I'm needing a new ignition switch.

Thanks
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

Good luck, shouldn't be too hard. Nice of you to work on it with/for your dad!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

Thanks man. To be fair I couldn't let him do it on his own, its his first bus in 35 years. One of my earliest childhood memories is of my dad setting fire to his early bay panel van while working in the engine bay. It's best he doesn't get let loose on electrics or anything that could cause fire Wink
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

I think it's great your working on it with your dad too.

Advice - detach all battery connections before working on any electronics on any car.

Bad things can be as little as burned insulation/fried relay,etc to welding a ring one is wearing to metal to full electrocution/death.

Might even be a thread on it.

Have fun.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

Ricache wrote:
to full electrocution/death.

Umm, unless he's wearing a pacemaker, even on the high voltage side of the coil there's not enough voltage/amperage in a 12v system to do more than make you say a few bad words.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
Hi, my dad has a 71 westy that has a push button start under the driver seat, he says his owners manual shows this so it must be factory? I've never heard of this before is it a thing?
Thanks Barry

prototype Laughing like the "coming soon" electric vw camper bus that everyone keeps tagging me in.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

panic_fan wrote:
baz76 wrote:
Thanks Barry

prototype Laughing like the "coming soon" electric vw camper bus that everyone keeps tagging me in.

Nope just a 70 year olds newbie mistake. I should have got him to send me a pic of the manual before posting.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

You could just move the push button switch to the dash to make it more accessible.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Ricache
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Ricache wrote:
to full electrocution/death.

Umm, unless he's wearing a pacemaker, even on the high voltage side of the coil there's not enough voltage/amperage in a 12v system to do more than make you say a few bad words.

I do believe I qualified the statement with the word "any".

Here is my 70 Westys push button starter - which is what piqued my interest in this thread

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Non functional now.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

That's a neat install above ^^^. I think for the sake of the price of a new ignition switch it's worth fixing correctly. Dads bus is a nice stock standard westy that hasn't been messed with too much over the years. Since he got it last year he's been slowly making it better, it's had a new 1776 built and fitted, couple of rust issues sorted out, new mustard seat covering for the rear and new original style chequered curtains.

Last area to finish is the cab, seats need covering and new door panels, I'm on the lookout for a better dash for it, getting the ignition back to standard will finish it off properly.

This is the bus when he just bought it

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 71 westy with push button start Reply with quote

Thats a much better fix than all the hacked 'hot start relays' done here - code for 'I fixed my bad wiring by adding more bad wiring' jobs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: