Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

I need to find TDC on type 4 engine so I can adjust valves on 73 bus. Once I find it I hear I should rotate engine counterclockwise 180 to do #2 then another 180 to do 3 and another 180 to do 4?
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

check this thread out

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=677445&highlight=finding+tdc

alot of it depends on if you have a porsche/411 fan or a bus fan

bus: find this mark (PO marks might be good, might not be)

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

rotate fan (or alternator) till you hit 0 on the scale, you are at TDC

porsche fan:

read the thread i linked to above, and read the thread i linked to in that.

Wildthings gives and excellent explanation, but i am more visual

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

I have the 2nd one that's on ratwell
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

O ya and I don't have a scale on my fan
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

If you have never adjusted valves before.. I highly recommend you have someone that knows how to show you the proper way.. too loose you wipe your cam & lifters out.. to tight you burn your valves & seats.. It can cost you a ton of money trying to save money by doing it yourself..
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

Ok thanks guys for the advice.
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

78 Busdriver wrote:
Ok thanks guys for the advice.
there are a bunch of people like me that would be more then happy to show you the right way.. so do not be afraid to seek out for some help.. but this is one part of a tune up that must be done right.. or it can get costly
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

Gotcha, I appricate it. I will definitely have someone take a look then
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

You really need to have a timing scale. Really.

http://www.busdepot.com/021119249ea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

Thanks Randy
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

If you don't do it right it you can screw up your wallet. But a simple way is to turn the engine over with the valve covers off. When both valves on # 3 rock and you are on or near TDC you can adjust #1 , when the two valves on #1 rock at the same time and you are on or near TDC you can adjust #3.

If you can't find TDC take out #1 spark plug, put a plastic straw into the plug hole and while holding light pressure on the straw slowly rotate the engine until the straw reaches the highest point of it's travel. This will be very close to TDC. Close enough for valve adjusting purposes.

Basically if the valves are rocking you can adjust the opposite cylinder. This only works on boxer engines just FYI.

It's not rocket science but it would be good for someone who knows how to do it to show you. I'm sure there are a ton of YouTube videos on the subject of valve adjustment

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

The valve adjustment I have before on a bug. But never on a bus. The only mark I have is on the back of the fan pulley. There isn't a 0 on the edge and I don't have a timing scale. I hear putting anything through the #1spark plug hole doesn't do any good since the type 4 engine is differnt than the type 1
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

You don't have to be very close, anything within 90° +/- of TDC for the cylinder you are adjusting the valves on is fine. A nice accurate mark is great, but "by guess and by golly" will work. VW didn't add a mark because it is just not needed.

If you just absolutely must have a mark watch the lifters on the #2 cylinder when they are at "overlap", with one valve just closing as the other is just opening, you are very close to TDC for either #2 or #4 and you can place a paint mark on the pulley aligned with the case seam for a Type 1 or aligned with the "0" on the timing scale for a Type 4.

Make sure you realize that this added mark it not accurate enough for timing the engine, it is only for adjusting the valves. Putting the added mark on the rear edge of the pulley will help prevent confusion.
78 Busdriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding TDC to do valave adj on type 4 engine Reply with quote

Thanks wildthing! I really appricate your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: