Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cam gear lash
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Cam gear lash Reply with quote

I currently have a .006 (in thousands) cam gear lash with a zero alum cam gear. With a +1 gear pitch, how many thousands of inch will I loose
And.....the different cam gear bearing widths. Does it matter if the wider one goes in the middle or in the front. We know where the thrust one goes.
Thanks.
rodjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam gear lash Reply with quote

I will let someone else chime in on the lash, but as to the bearings... If you look at the front journal you will see an oil return passage in the case, you do not want to cover that or bad things can happen, use the narrow bearing. I had to notch my narrow bearing a little because it overhung the passage about .040".
chrswlsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam gear lash Reply with quote

Got ya. I'll look closer at the oil passage / hole. Thanks

Really would like to know the other answer.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam gear lash Reply with quote

I don't think anyone will be able to answer that precisely. Maybe someone will prove me wrong though. The main bore Might not only be a few thousandths up or down, but also it might (usually is) be off left or right of the case parting line. This will slightly alter your results with different gear sizes.

Here what I read: a +1 means the gear is 1/100mm larger, or about .0004". Every higher number is another 1/100mm.

I think most would say just run it, but if you can find a large enough gear, go for it. Originally they went to +7.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam gear lash Reply with quote

.006 is on the high side for backlash. I would measure it in 4 plcs around the cam gear
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cam gear lash Reply with quote

Don't know. Just try different gears. What can you find? Can't buy new ones anymore.
+3 maybe, but if it's worn it may be looser, so who knows, but yeah I'd be looking for a bigger gear. I think I have a +6, probably never use tht one, it's always too tight Laughing

narrow cam bearing goes by flywheel. If you put the wide one there it blocks the return passage, you'd figure it out. I hope
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: