Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just how slow is an early bay?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

What exhaust are you running? Only a stock or properly modified aftermarket exhaust will have the proper plumbing to feed the manifold preheat pipes. You may not be getting any hot air through the preheat. Many aftermarket setups actually have those ports plugged requiring you to drill them out.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
What exhaust are you running? Only a stock or properly modified aftermarket exhaust will have the proper plumbing to feed the manifold preheat pipes. You may not be getting any hot air through the preheat. Many aftermarket setups actually have those ports plugged requiring you to drill them out.
it's the empi single tip "econo exhaust" it has the plumbing for the heat risers, plenty large enough holes all the way through, i have the manifold back on the car, no vacuum leaks, no blockage, cylinders 2 and 4 are literally just not firing at full capacity, the exhaust is only getting warm, not hot, i've checked everything and it has to be a carburetor issue, there is nothing left.
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

Have you checked for compression on those two cylinders and check for tight valves.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

22manybugs wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From what I remember on a DVDA, #1 cylinder was the wire toward the back right on the distributor ( because it was always a pain to hook up the timing light). Looks like #1 is hooked up in the front right here. Since you say cylinder 2 and 4 don't change sound, check that all the spark plug wires go to the correct cylinders.

Lon gets the Samba medal for the month of June.

Applause Applause Applause
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
22manybugs wrote:

From what I remember on a DVDA, #1 cylinder was the wire toward the back right on the distributor ( because it was always a pain to hook up the timing light). Looks like #1 is hooked up in the front right here. Since you say cylinder 2 and 4 don't change sound, check that all the spark plug wires go to the correct cylinders.

Lon gets the Samba medal for the month of June.

Applause Applause Applause

Big shout out to Steve (Abscate) for checking out the bus in person and finding my ridiculously embarrassing mistake. This just goes to show you really need to walk away from a problem when you're bashing your head against the wall, i'll start over with the basics next time. A set of fresh eyes always helps. Somewhere down the line the #2 and #4 plug wires got switched. Thanks Steve!
Also just to say, the bus is far from slow, i'm impressed, it shits and gets for a bus with a 57 horse 4 cylinder. Thanks everybody for your time, the samba community never lets me down.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

I was amazed at how smoothly it idled and how well it revved. I've worked in lines so long I had forgotten how forgiving a flat four is on firing order mistakes. After I talked with vman on the phone I was at a loss and was thinking very esoteric. Once the Bus saw my Haynes polo undershirt , though, I could smell the fear...,,
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

Of course now that it's been pointed out, it's easy to see in the picture that the firing order is set to 1234 instead of 1432.... Good job guys!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

Once a Bus sees someone wearing a Charles Bronson undershirt...it knows it's over....

Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

Pretty nice to have that guy in your back yard. Just make sure he cuts his toenails Laughing

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
Pretty nice to have that guy in your back yard. Just make sure he cuts his toenails Laughing

Heh heh heh... Laughing
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Just how slow is an early bay? Reply with quote

such a great picture, thanks again man! i owe you one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: