Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

It's a Thing come true!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BNMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Hi sj......

There are a couple old threads showing how guys straightened and reinforced their top frames. Here's the first one I found:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480488

BNMike
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Managed to dissemble both frames today and do some mix and match, it appears with some juggling I can piece together a very nice frame with a minimal amount of bending necessary! I will report back as soon as I have access to my Dad's Press again, unfortunately that won't be until next Saturday and of course this week it will be in the high 90's! Breaking out that sunscreen! Cool

Rivets from Killer ordered for Frame mix and match. Canvas has been patched, she aint gorgeous but she'll keep me dry if needed!

It took the Carbs 3 sessions in heated dip to get the varnish out, they should be ready soon.

Ordering the 356 Pulley, Type IV cooler, Shroud, Vinyl Rivets, and Vintage Speed Exhaust soon.

On the 356 pulley, I've seen guys run them with power pulleys on the engine to make up for the smaller diameter. Be advised stock cooling fans do explode when spun too fast so a large diameter pulley and smaller generator/alternator pulley will yield some HIGH fan RPM's. If you really need this mod, look into a welded/balanced unit.

Talk to these guys about the type 4 cooler shroud mod:
http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/engine_tin_mods.html

Have you determined that you need more cooling on your car? My 2232 with stock cooler/fan/tin runs normal temps.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Thanks Bashr52,

Always appreciate your insights, in answer to your questions...

Yes i've done the math, running 230+ Oil Temps at 58 MPH on the highway sometimes and she is now my daily so gotta get her cooler.

Got a pair of Dual Kadron's just sitting around so... Switching from Center-mount Weber Progressive to dual Kadron 40's, and changing restrictive beetle exhaust with a muffler from vintagespeed, this will improve general flow as I have a Norris 407S Cam in her. This may or may not improve temps, we will see.

Upon looking at my seal and noting the rock hardness as well as gaps at rear corners I decided to replace it, since it's easier to do the seal with the engine dropped I decided to go ahead and do the Type IV cooler as well as the late FI Beetle Tin (for the Venturi). I am in communication with the guys at www.awesomepowdercoat.com (very cool guys btw) and also now have access to some OG Tin and a Gene Berg tack on extension kit if I decide to go that route.

I agree the welded fan is a must if I am going to do a 356 Pulley (http://www.vwispwest.com/jzv/prod?itemId=50931) on the Gen (leaving crank pulley stock FYI) and plan on ordering one when I get the pulley.

As you can see I am attempting to get more air into the Tin without body mods (which largely don't work) and going the same route as our vaunted German engineers did over time.

This is all an attempt to avoid an external oil cooler because I do not have a proper oil return tap on my case and have been told that the cavitation issue of the oil return at the pump (those full flow kits that mount at your oil pump spot) is significant.

If this does not work then I can always still crack the case and, Tap it (refresh things in the process), re-assemble and still benefit from changes above.

I have this crazy idea of adding a Ed Gilmore AC system to my setup after I have my cooling sorted out. I already have the mount and the Gilmore 1/2 HP Compressor from a previous build, all I would need is an under-dash unit and condenser, but that's crazy talk for another time! 8P

74 Thing
72 Bay Window Westy TinTop
deafen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:

I agree the welded fan is a must if I am going to do a 356 Pulley (http://www.vwispwest.com/jzv/prod?itemId=50931) on the Gen (leaving crank pulley stock FYI) and plan on ordering one when I get the pulley.

That's a crank pulley (albeit a very pretty one). I don't see a 356 gen pulley on that site - I bought mine at Stoddard.

When you do get it, order extra shims. The hub is longer, I think because the Porsche shims are thicker. If you use the standard 10 VW shims, the nut will hit the hub before the shim pack is fully compressed, which makes the pulley wider and narrower as it turns. Ask me how I know ...
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Thanks deafen!

That would have been a costly dumb error on my part!

Yes I have heard about the shim issue and will order extra, looks like a very reasonable price for inner and outer together.

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Hey deafen,
And everyone else for that matter...

I'm ordering both halves of the 356 pulley, 2 sets of shims and a nut from Stoddard, do I need the 356 Generator Pulley Hub along with it or is that unnecessary?

-sjhotz

74 Thing
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:
Hey deafen,
And everyone else for that matter...

I'm ordering both halves of the 356 pulley, 2 sets of shims and a nut from Stoddard, do I need the 356 Generator Pulley Hub along with it or is that unnecessary?
-sjhotz

Hi. I believe you do need the hub as the hub is what sits on the key'd shaft and then the pulley halves index onto the hub with the shims, etc. I don't think I would modify a VW inner pulley half for this. This upper pulley whether its a VW or the 356 spins pretty fast, 1.7 to 2.1 times crank speed. You can get the parts locally from Pelican (Harbor City) or Sierra Madre Collection (Pasadena).
For what it's worth, racin Jason is local to us and was selling welded fans. Looks as if he hasn't been logged on for a few months but has a e-mail link.
Hope this helps, Bill.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Thanks rockerarm, hub ordered.

Update time!

Frame is coming along nicely, going to do some final straightening tonight, got the rivets but am still waiting on Killer's Nuts (insert joke here!). Vinyl is nicely patched and ready to install.

Kadron Carbs restored and re-jetted for my 1776 engine (may require some fine tuning after install, we'll see, that Norris 407s cam can be a bear at idle).

New Engine compartment seal in hand.

Restored and modified stock late model FI Shroud with Venturi Ring and widened doghouse for T4 Oil Cooler (along with adapter and hoover bit) ordered and en route shortly.

Porsche 356 Generator Pulley Halves, Hub, nut and double set of shims ordered and en-route shortly.

So all I am missing to start are the parts on order, a T4 Oil cooler, and the Vintage Speed Exhaust (if they ever return my mechanics calls). Although truth be told I could just use my old empi tri-mill knock-off, it will be loud as shit but at least it won't restrict like the pee-shooter exhaust.

Side question... When folded down am I correct in assuming the rails should line up (so the edge protectors if I ever get any slide on easily)? My top ones are bowed in a bit...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I would like to make sure im not breaking something before I attempt to correct it tonight.

Thanks all!
-sjhotz

74 Thing
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

They look good to me. I always have to just give the covers a little push. Coming along nice.
GB
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Thanks germanbilly,

Did a test fit this evening after yesterdays bend-fest, was still having issues on passenger side and windshield / side curtain geometry. The Soft Top Frame was still forcing the windshield forward a small amount, just enough to cause a gap at the top of the side curtain on both sides which would easily allow rain water in.

I switched the rear portion of the frame out so now i'm back to purchased bow and rear with mix matched arms and supports from my mechanics donated frame. Windshield and Side curtains now align properly and there are no gaps along top of side curtains on either side accept for the passenger rear angled part, easily corrected with some weather stripping. All in all i'm very satisfied. I plan on putting on the vinyl this week (heat permitting and Killer's Nuts still pending arrival) and finally installing. I have Vinyl treatment/cleaner as well as window cleaner, looking forward to a waterproofed, clear windowed soft top!

Does anyone have instructions or a diagram of the boot for the soft top when folded down? Was gonna continue the do-it-yurself theme and attempt (with the help of my roommates fiance) to make my own Soft Top Boot!

The fun continues... 8P

74 Thing
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

FYI, if you can deal with a little more road grime/dirt in the engine compartment, there are 2 free mods you can do to increase air to the compartment. One is to remove the FRONT (not rear breast plate) tin entirely. There is a lot of free air under the car you can grab this way, but the dirt/grime entering the car increases greatly). The other is along the same lines. There should be a stamping on that same tin, opposite the cutout for the oil cooler exhaust.

You can cut this stamping out which leaves a path almost directly in front of the fan for more air from under the car to enter the compartment.

I've seen conflicting results on the type 4 cooler mod. For the cost of the cooler, and a modified/modifying the shroud to fit, I haven't been 100% convinced its worth it. 2 more rows of cooling surface sounds good, but I'm not sure it works that way in practice.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Thanks Bashr52,

Ya I have considered the cut out option (too much off-road debris for no front tin), I have also considered adding some sort of filter over the cut out opening, just trying to figure out how to ensure it doesn't get sucked into the fan.

The cooling benefits will be further muddied by a change in carburation and exhaust. But here's to hoping!
-sjhotz

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Welp it looks like the hub for the 356 pulley from Stoddard is finally being shipped after back order.

Found out after discovering a suspiciously large charge from them on my card and when I called they charged me for additional expedited shipping costs for the back-ordered item. Of course anyone who could help me was east coast and home for the night.

Follow up next day...
The folks at Stoddard made it right, reversed charges and I got a call from the owner with an apology, class act! The hub arrived the next day.

-sjhotz

74 Thing

Last edited by sjhotz on Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Vibration / Alignment question...

My alignment/frame shop swears my beam is bent and they cant align it properly, the only obvious bending I can see is the driver side top shock mount (perhaps that is the issue?). tried Dyna beads (which helped) but still get a vibration between 37 and 45, much more pronounced breaking downhill, more prevalent on the passenger side. Steering dampener is only a few years old (3 mayby?) almost no play on steering wheel either.

Can the beam be straightened? Should I be tempted to try the faux beam's with added triangle supports?

Would really like to solve this so the drive-train isn't constantly fighting my poor alignment. Not intending to go with over sized tires or do any lifting FYI.

AS always I enthusiastically seek advice and suggestions from my VW guru's.

My Thanks,
sjhotz

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Update!

Killer's Nuts are now installed and the top moves like a dream now!

All other parts have been delivered aside from the Vintage Speed Exhaust (heard from TM at VS today and I am on track for September delivery after Bugorama next month, woohoo!), and the Modified FI Shroud / Balanced Fan from Awesome Powdercoat (expecting to hear from them shortly).

So in the mean time...

As you can see from above I am focusing on the 37 - 45 MPH vibration issue and will be getting a better opinion than my last. I'll update again post evaluation!

-sjhotz

74 Thing
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Update!

Pulling engine this weekend to install new toys!

Never pulled one from a 74 Thing and could use some advice....

It appears there is one nut inside the engine compartment (opposite the starter) and two more outside the engine bay on the transmission side just above and to the side of the frame horns (pictured below).

What I cannot locate is the 4th one (drivers side top). Any suggestions?

Thanks,
sjhotz

74 Thing
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

sjhotz wrote:

What I cannot locate is the 4th one (drivers side top). Any suggestions?

The four mounting points form a square so the drivers side top one is positioned like the one by the starter, but is on the drivers side and is reached from the front (towards the front of the car rather than the engine compartment).

You may have to find it by feel. With a socket on a longer size extension while lying under the car. Thats how I got to mine. (On a bug but I would imagine the engine mounts the same). It is directly above the drivers side one on the bottom that you can see, but at the top of the bell housing. It is a real PITA to get to and I have heard it is not uncommon to find that a prior owner has simply gone without it rather than deal with it. So, it is possible it is missing altogether.

I want to thank you for the pictures of your front suspension. I have picked up a partially complete project bug body on a thing chassis. The thing floor pans have been replaced with bug floor pans so the body will fit. The thing has extra supports for the sides of the front beam that bolt to a bracket near the front of the floor pans on each side. That attachment point is a long flat piece of metal running under the pans for support. On mine they are not welded to the new floor pans yet and I have been searching the thing threads to see how it should be. Your pictures show me exactly how they are positioned and where the welds are. Thank you! Good luck on your engine build. I built the engine for my 72 Super last winter and really enjoyed the experience.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Oh, and if I remember correctly, the drivers side top one is a bolt, rather than a nut on a stud. Its the same size socket if I remember.

On your bent beam and allignment issue, you might also post the pictures of the beam and the bent shock mount in the HBB Offroad section to see what they think over there. Those dudes use the thing beam and other thing suspension pieces in their baja bugs and sandrails and are bending and breaking those parts all the time, and doing modifications to fix and strengthen them. For example, it looks like maybe your shock mount was bent downwards when the front end got airborn and the wheel dropped down, relying on the shock as the travel limiter. In the off road section, they weld on a hook and post solution to the trailing arms and beam to limit upward and downward travel so the shock absorber doesn't bottom out on a bump or fully extend to the limit when they get some air. They might be able to provide some insight into what you are dealing with here and what the options might be to fix it.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Buggeee, I have successfully dropped the engine with no difficulties. Wiring properly labeled and fuel lines properly capped!

I even managed to get the new 356 pulley stud mounted and have pulled the old fan shroud and finally understand where that dammed Hoover Bit is supposed to go!

Hopefully tomorrow ill get the following done:
Larger bus oil cooler
Fanshroud
Welded fan
356 pulley
Manifolds /Carbs / Linkage
VS Exhaust

May have to hold off final re-install, the heater tubes under the car have had it (ordered, comes Tuesday), and i'm not happy with oil deposit along the bottom of the transmission. Temped to change the tranny fluid, any dangers involved there? Ive heard horror stories from Jeep guys advising to NEVER change the tranny fluid.

-sjhotz

74 Thing

Last edited by sjhotz on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
sjhotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: It's a Thing come true! Reply with quote

Have I neglected to post the pics of my Vintage Speed Exhaust?

Forsooth!

Ahhh much better! Cool

74 Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: