Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quality Bumpers?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ripton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Quality Bumpers? Reply with quote

Hello all. Looking to add bumpers to my "new" 69 frankenstein beetle. I'm looking online at many sites and find a wide range of prices for seemingly the same thing. Some are triple plated, show quality, OEM, REP etc. I just want something to look good and not give me headaches down the road. Plan to hit a few ice cream shops and cruise nights not win best in show for sparkles and flash..

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Bumpers? Reply with quote

<-- is paying attention to this thread. Smile
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Bumpers? Reply with quote

I would try and get original German bumpers from a salvage yard. Much better/thicker steel and fit. You could always re-chrome or paint. According to this page http://www.mtmfg.com/vw/9/Volkswagen-Beetle-Bumpers VW Standard Beetle 68-73 and Super 71-73 took the same bumpers front and rear. I have an original 74 Super rear bumper that you can have, since I went a different direction on my build. You would have to use the solid bumper bracket with that bumper, which is not an issue.

Just curious,what does "Rip, Stratton" mean in your signature? I used to ski there a lot.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Bumpers? Reply with quote

I'm looking to get a rear bumper for my '64. I have an OG front that's in great condition but my rear bumper seems to be from Brazil.

Leaning more towards having an OG rear rechromed. Here's a good thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645520&highlight=bumper
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Quality Bumpers? Reply with quote

Why not Wolfsburg West?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Bumpers? Reply with quote

The 304 Stainless Bumpers from Vietnam fits pretty well and looks pretty nice. Although, you'll pay anywhere from 900 to 1000 for the set.
68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: