Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EV VR6 engine photo?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

Does anyone happen to have a photo of their VR6 engine (AES or otherwise) they might be willing to share?

I'm trying to figure out where the other end of this coolant hose goes (following a spark plug replacement).

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Very Happy

Cheers,
Bruno

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

There's a Tee on one of the heater hoses.
http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Heater_Hose_Tee

The two lines on the hose show where a plastic clamp holds it.
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

That is fantastic. Thank you for the photo!

I'd been looking at coolant line diagrams but wasn't too clear on that particular tee connection.
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

Oh, and kudos on the clean engine! Mine looks like it sat on the set of "The Mummy."
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

Thanks again. I found the culprit.

It might have been a blessing in disguise, as the busted hose insert coming off the tee looks corroded.

So far, I don't see whether the tee includes the insert that fits into the coolant line can be replaced or whether I need a new tee.

JMB3 wrote:
There's a Tee on one of the heater hoses.
http://vweurovan.wikia.com/wiki/Heater_Hose_Tee

The two lines on the hose show where a plastic clamp holds it.
JMB3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

Have you visited the wiki article I referred you to yet? There is no separate insert. You have a busted Tee, as many of us have previously experienced. The article provides many options for replacement, from super expensive to fairly reasonable. I wouldn't use the Dorman part for more than a temporary fix. Please contribute to the article if you find any other solutions.
gakali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

The previous owner of my van made up a new one by soldering together the appropriate copper plumbing bits. Seems to have worked ok so far.

1999 Eurovan
2003 A4 Avant 1.8T Quattro
1992 W201 190e 2.3 Mercedes
2006 W220 S600 V12 Twin Turbo 5.5 Mercedes
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

JMB3 wrote:
Have you visited the wiki article I referred you to yet? There is no separate insert. You have a busted Tee, as many of us have previously experienced. The article provides many options for replacement, from super expensive to fairly reasonable. I wouldn't use the Dorman part for more than a temporary fix. Please contribute to the article if you find any other solutions.

Thanks again for the Dorman warning. I ended up opting for the MINI Cooper genuine part. Fingers crossed.
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

gakali wrote:
The previous owner of my van made up a new one by soldering together the appropriate copper plumbing bits. Seems to have worked ok so far.

That's neat! I'd love to see what that looks like, if you have a photo of it.

A previous owner of mine bypassed the heater core with cast-iron plumbing elbows. I had considered something similar but opted for the MINI Cooper version.

Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

oh man.. this is the same thing that busted years ago in my '99 MV with the Climatronic system.
whatever version was in my van.. simply DID NOT EXIST in the Etka parts system. He even looked up Canadian and Euro versions.. nothing was exactly like mine.

After ordering 3 different assemblies and none of them being correct, the parts counter guy just dis-assembled all 3 they got in and used the various components to make up an assembly that matched mine, and GAVE IT TO ME while muttering some colorful metaphors about VW and the whole EuroVan line..

I think it was around '06 or '07 and they were still available form the dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

stl_stadtroller wrote:
oh man.. this is the same thing that busted years ago in my '99 MV with the Climatronic system.
whatever version was in my van.. simply DID NOT EXIST in the Etka parts system. He even looked up Canadian and Euro versions.. nothing was exactly like mine.

After ordering 3 different assemblies and none of them being correct, the parts counter guy just dis-assembled all 3 they got in and used the various components to make up an assembly that matched mine, and GAVE IT TO ME while muttering some colorful metaphors about VW and the whole EuroVan line..

I think it was around '06 or '07 and they were still available form the dealer

That's what I was afraid of! That I'd need a time machine to get the OEM part Very Happy
Brunocerous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: EV VR6 engine photo? Reply with quote

On a lark, I stopped at my local independent auto parts store and I found a Napa heater hose tee (part no. 660-1593) to replace the busted 3/4 x 3/4 x 3/8 connector on my 1999 EuroVan MV.

Is it of decent enough quality to use? Or is the comparable MINI version preferable?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: