Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camper Special - won't idle when cold (video)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Special - won't idle when cold (video) Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
notchboy wrote:
when and if he offered to help the dumb shit peanut gallery here. Wink

If you define that as paying $7K for an engine kit...

Hey its relative right? Wink Rolling Eyes

I paid more in the end therefore I am more of a dumb shit, no? Laughing

Im going to get one of ths Chinese AAR and see how it goes. My motor ran better with an open AAR on start up, but it would eventually pop close so I still had to feather it till warm.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Special - won't idle when cold (video) Reply with quote

My camper special has a low idle cold that stalls occasionally. If I am off and going onto the freeway, no problem. But in town at stoplights I have to hand brake and feather the throttle when cold. Neither safe not pleasant and over the years, I have had to do this plenty. So I know the drill.

The engine idles perfect at warm operating temps. I pulled the AAR and replaced with another spare that I had with a larger aperture by visual comparison. I have the bus in the shop to get scoped and everything looks spot on, but they can't get the cold idle problem figured out either. I have a spare 914 CHT I just got and plan to install that. I'll test out my 2 extra AARs and see if they are functional.

Any other suggestions for a bus lover, not a hater, would be appreciated. It seems like a common issue only at cold idle, so some sort of modified AAR or FI adjustment should be able to solve this.

Just a regular guy
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Camper Special - won't idle when cold (video) Reply with quote

There is an AAR adjustment page over on Itinerant Air Cooled. Sorry I can't post the link from my phone. If this doesn't help you out, put the AAR in the fridge for an hour before attempting the adjustment. That should help open it up a bit.

AAR adjustment is one of things where there isn't really a ton of info on published specs, so we adjust to suit our needs. It also doesn't affect engine performance or tuning once the engine is warmed up, so it's a relatively harmless adjustment.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Camper Special - won't idle when cold (video) Reply with quote

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7834

The CS camshaft doesn't produce a lot of vacuum at idle speeds either. Just the way it is. I have my idle set to about 950 RPMs and it seems to like that speed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: