Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

love your app. just downloaded. Here's the vw shop in my area:

Hampton's Garage
2486 Hwy 72 W
Greenwood, SC 29649
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

SO FUCKING COOL!
It could use some work, but this is such an awesome start.
If I can make some suggestions..
Perhaps I'm not using it properly, but I think user input is necessary for this to become a truly functioning tool. I would love to post suggestions and comments of where I've safely stayed and I would love to read the same coming from others.
Also, a personal map of my travels, stops, tips/comments.. etc for myself to view as well as others.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
SO FUCKING COOL!
Perhaps I'm not using it properly, but I think user input is necessary for this to become a truly functioning tool. I would love to post suggestions and comments of where I've safely stayed and I would love to read the same coming from others.
Also, a personal map of my travels, stops, tips/comments.. etc for myself to view as well as others.

yea we have an area where members can leave feedback/comments on all of the items such as camp sites, repair shops and driveway camp hosts etc. When looking at the specific listing page there's a comment bubble on the upper right, click that. You can see the bubble on the third phone image from the left below...

We're currently working on a new listing format that will make that bubble/comment section more readily available and easier to pick up on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
love your app. just downloaded. Here's the vw shop in my area:

Hampton's Garage
2486 Hwy 72 W
Greenwood, SC 29649

Added thanks!
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

HoustonPhotog wrote:
LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
SO FUCKING COOL!

yea we have an area where members can leave feedback/comments on all of the items such as camp sites, repair shops and driveway camp hosts etc. When looking at the specific listing page there's a comment bubble on the upper right, click that.

We're currently working on a new listing format that will make that bubble/comment section more readily available and easier to pick up on.

I see that, but there are so few campgrounds, boondocking sites, rest areas.. etc in my area, I'd like to add the ones I know exist.
Currently, the nearest site to me on your app (in the Chicago suburbs) is 83 miles away, when I know there is a Walmart within 10 miles I can camp at, and another in the opposite direction which I cannot camp at. The largest camp site within hundreds of miles, Starved Rock/Matthiessen state park are not listed.
I feel the users who know their area best, who have experienced these ares should be able to post recommendations, photos.. etc easily.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:

I see that, but there are so few campgrounds, boondocking sites, rest areas.. etc in my area, I'd like to add the ones I know exist.
Currently, the nearest site to me on your app (in the Chicago suburbs) is 83 miles away, when I know there is a Walmart within 10 miles I can camp at, and another in the opposite direction which I cannot camp at. The largest camp site within hundreds of miles, Starved Rock/Matthiessen state park are not listed.
I feel the users who know their area best, who have experienced these ares should be able to post recommendations, photos.. etc easily.

We're in the process of adding every state park in the country that allows camping. we have about 600 completed and about 1800 left. we'll have them all in soon... the time consuming part if manually locating the entry gate/pay stations since one of my pet peeves about google maps and gps units is they hardly ever really tell you where to go. Some take you out to the middle of nowhere and thats annoying when youre on the road and trying to find a place to call home for the night. Its time consuming but itll be worth it.

if you have places (other than state parks since we're adding them) you want to submit, use the ADD CAMP button and all any and all you'd like to share. i'll enter them into the database...

as a crowdsourced app we rely on those key places locals know in their area... that helps out a ton!

you can see the ADD CAMP submission form here

if you have several you want to add and want to make the process easier, you can also submit them on your desktop through the web app. might be quicker.

http://m.vanalert.com

Last edited by HoustonPhotog on Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

NICE!
I see the options now, I didn't realize you could swipe the screen.
I'll be adding in my area, thank you sir!
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
NICE!
I see the options now, I didn't realize you could swipe the screen.
I'll be adding in my area, thank you sir!

if you have several you want to add and want to make the process easier, you can also submit them on your desktop through the web app. might be quicker.

http://m.vanalert.com
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Another successful VanAlert Driveway Camp experience! Thanks Jason & Kim (https://www.instagram.com/mimzy_travels) for hosting Nate & Britt (https://www.instagram.com/myboxonwheels)!

-------------------------------

Be sure to sign up to be a Driveway Camp Host within the VanAlert app in order to give some like minded VW Vanagon/Bus travelers a safe place to camp for a night while they pass through you town. Good times indeed!

Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

I'd kinda think this would be a sticky or at least a locked post of the VanAlert and what it's about, where to get it, etc. Confused

Very cool app! Love it Cool
The First Invasion
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Here's a GPS tracking unit. Older versions used analog 2G signals which are almost all obsolete making the older devices obsolete. This new version works on 3G. There is a monthly plan starting at $9/mo. This Trackmate Dash 2.1 is on sale $99.99 with free Prime Shipping. ($20 off normal price).

http://amzn.to/2vvv6DM

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

Cool app, I downloaded it last week. I could see this being useful for a lot of folks!
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VanAlert App for Vanagon/Bus Owners Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Cool app, I downloaded it last week. I could see this being useful for a lot of folks!

Sweet.. help spread the word to other bus guys as we need more resources in regards to repair shops and rescue squad members... Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: